Greetings All!

I use Cox Communications for email. I like to use their webmail site while at work to check my email. Unfortunately it is not working very well for me. I get an error screen most times I log in. If I choose to go without frames, I usually get it to come up after refreshing a handful of times. From there, however, there is not a lot I can do.

Cox tech support said that problem would happen if the connection I was using was a proxy connection (sorry if I said that incorrectly).

Tech's at work say that we do not connect that way.

Is there an alternative? I considered installing Thunderbird at work, but once I download the messages there, they will not be available at home, or will they?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by MODOK
Greetings All!

I use Cox Communications for email.  I like to use their webmail site while at work to check my email.  Unfortunately it is not working very well for me.  I get an error screen most times I log in.  If I choose to go without frames, I usually get it to come up after refreshing a handful of times.  From there, however, there is not a lot I can do.

Cox tech support said that problem would happen if the connection I was using was a proxy connection (sorry if I said that incorrectly).

Tech's at work say that we do not connect that way.

Is there an alternative?  I considered installing Thunderbird at work, but once I download the messages there, they will not be available at home, or will they?

Thanks in advance!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use Cox as my main EMail account also. Their webmail works but it's not that good. You can only get text for one thing.

Have you tried GMail?

I use that more and more. It's web based, but you can link your Pop3 mail (like Cox) to it.

I'll send you an invite if you want an account. And it's free.

And you get at least 1 Gig of storage!

Joe

I may be wrong, but it would be unusual for your workplace not to usa a proxy of some sort. Eh, I guess the technie knows more than I do about the system. I'm sure it's just some setting you have to change though I don't know what that might be.

As for reading it in FF and having it available later, I don't see why this would be a problem unless you delete the messages off the ISP's server.

<edit> Your ISP settings allow you to choose how your mail is handled, to be deleted or not.

Don't know how to be diplomatic about people suggesting someone scrap the product they use ("I use X," "I like X," "How do I get X to work") ... and here's the part where I have nothing good to say so

Edited by JDoors
I may be wrong, but it would be unusual for your workplace not to usa a proxy of some sort. Eh, I guess the technie knows more than I do about the system. I'm sure it's just some setting you have to change though I don't know what that might be.

As for reading it in FF and having it available later, I don't see why this would be a problem unless you delete the messages off the ISP's server.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with the gmail nominations.

About thunderbird, it depends on what your service provider does. I am not familiar with how COX does it, but I know in gmail, you can set it to keep the messages on the server even after download to the email client. My guess is, however, that no, it won't remain on the server.

Matt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with the gmail nominations.

About thunderbird, it depends on what your service provider does. I am not familiar with how COX does is, but I know in gmail, you can set it to keep the messages on the server even after download to the email client. My guess is, however, that no, it won't remain on the server.

Matt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can leave the messages on the server.

In OE6, Tools -> Accounts -> Mail. Highlight Cox. Click Properties, then Advanced.

Under "Delivery", check "Leave a copy of message on server".

The only problem with doing that is that Cox limits your server space to 10 MBs. After you reach the limit any new message will be bounced back.

Edited by irregularjoe

Wow!

Thanks everyone for the excellent replies!

I used to frequent the TechTV boards under the name "wicks" and have floated over here. Everyone seems so friendly and helpful here!

I actually do have a gmail account, but have hung on to my Cox account also. I may take the advice and start using that one more often.

I believe when I initially got gmail it was not set up for pop/smtp so it is good to know that I can now do that.

The weirdest thing about my Cox webmail is that it has worked for several months, then not worked for several months, worked again, and now it doesn't.

irregularjoe, thanks for the step by step on leaving messages on the server. I think I will check that out!

Thanks again everyone! :thumbsup:

If Cox uses an IMAP (not POP3) server to serve mail, you don't need any special steps to ensure the mail remains on the server. That is IMAP's default behavior.

If they do use POP3, a variant of the above OE6 settings should work for most mail clients (Thunderbird, Eudora, TheBat!, Opera's M2, etc.). I access Gmail by their POP3 server using the M2 client, and simply checked "Leave messages on server". When I get new mail, it is delivered to me and a copy remains on the server.