and my modem is only 56 kbh

is there an explaination

im not complaining

but thought

dial up modems

could go to 52 53

at best

marty

You may just be getting a cleaner connection the before so your speeds increasing. Also it could easily be being misreported by your modem. The telcom in your area may have reduced some overhead and freed up some more space....could be a number of things.

Does NZ have a cap on their modem speeds like the US does?

PG

NO there is no cap .

at the moment dsl is much dearer

than dialup

but it has come down considerably

one company is offering broadband modems free

and free connection for 90 days then it goes to $39 a month

not sure about the band width

so yes it is on the way down.

my dialup costs $20 for a month

for unlimited hrs

and at first it was convenient because i was a complete noob

but i now like to think ive come on from here.

and i need my connection a bit faster.

i had my sys scanned by everest

and it said i could do with more ram

at the moment i have 256mgs

would this affect the dialup

thanks

marty

SBC Yahoo! DSL is like $15 a month for the first 6 months or something like that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

we are always last to get these things

my isp is a bit dearer

but they have to set there prices with line administrators

but i will go to broardband eventually

thanks

marty

the 256meg of ram shouldn't be a problem for you to be online with a broadband hookup

as long as you aren't running lots of other stuff in the background

My SuSe box only has 256m ram and i get on the forums, irc, trillian and play music at the same time without problems

the 256meg of ram shouldn't be a problem for you to be online with a broadband hookup

as long as you aren't running lots of other stuff in the background

My SuSe box only has 256m ram and i get on the forums, irc, trillian and play music at the same time without problems

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks robroy

all this info is handy for me if i change over

marty

I "second" Robroy's opinion on Ram, Marty. We also have 256 gigawatts and the internet runs just great with Broadband Connection. I think Son gave the computer a Blue Screen "Memory Dump" only once in the past 3 years. (he was over taxing it, I'm sure. He wouldn't tell me what caused it....!)

On the other hand, you must be getting good dial up speed because of all the good deeds you've done lately! That Gypsy Blessing I made for you must have worked :)

Liz

Edited by blim
I "second" Robroy's opinion on Ram, Marty.  We also have 256 gigawatts and the internet runs just great with Broadband Connection.  I think Son gave the computer a Blue Screen "Memory Dump" only once in the past 3 years. (he was over taxing it, I'm sure.  He wouldn't tell me what caused it....!)

On the other hand, you must be getting good dial up speed because of all the good deeds you've done lately!  That Gypsy Blessing I made for you must have worked  :)

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ha ha ha liz

thanks

marty

As networks get better I was getting higher speeds too (often able to download files at OVER 56K!). Enjoy your local phone company's investments. :)

Prices here have FINALLY come down on DSL, though always with a 'gotcha' of one kind or another; for six months, for a year, you have to pay for other services you may or may not want, etc. I called my ISP and said, "This is what I can get if I change ISP, what can you do for me?" They matched the best offer. So after about ten years of dial-up I've finally got DSL at a reasonable price.

<edit> So far the only absolute advantage is I can now watch streaming video. Love the BBC feeds (for a different perspective on world news, too many U.S. outlets are biased one way or another). All other activities are faster, and I'd hate to go back, but waiting two seconds vs. seven isn't a life altering experience.

Edited by JDoors

you guys are hurting my feelings.....my only choice is dialup at $30 a month or......satellite at $60 a month. I had dialup for a while at 16,600 and got booted every 15 minutes so that was no option....the phone company here is a private company and won't upgrade their equipment. the disadvantage of living in "the sticks"