I had a sound problem last week that many helped me fix, but now my CD burner won't burn. I wondered if they were related. It plays fine and there are no problems listed in the device manager. I tried burning all kinds of things, songs, text, photos, nothing works. My son burned those things on his computer for me, so I know it's not the content, but the burner. I've also tried several programs, Roxio, Nero and Windows something or other..

Burner HL -DT -ST RW/DVD GCC -4521B

Would it help to uninstall and reinstall? I tried a new driver, nothing new...I tried rolling back and it said nothing was backed up to roll back to. New computer, with XP so I'm not too familiar quite yet either. Thanks :)

Velda

whoa alot of that is very confusing to me :) I did the ASPI check and nothing is installed ---- now what? I downloaded the ForceASPI program but now I'm not sure what to do....the site says "Open a Command Prompt and run the appropriate *.BAT file(s). " but I'm not quite sure where to do this? Thank you again for your help....

Alright I figured that out and then ran the aspi checker again and there is info there now.....so I downloaded Nero demo again and tried to burn and it started no problem, quit part way in....I've attached the error report if anyone can help me figure this out, it's all Greek to me :(

Log.txt

Are you burning different tracks from your hard drive or copying a CD? I think you need to record that as an Audio CD and not use the Disk At Once feature. I have never used Nero for burning an Audio CD. I use NTI and that is how it's setup.

How to create an audio CD...(Nero)

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

I'm using Nero demo and am burning it as an audio track....even when I try to burn using WMP I still get the same problem..it stops burning mid thru...is it possible I need different CDs? I use CD-R...should I be using CD-R/RW?

Edit-- I'm burning tracks from my hard drive. As I said, my son had no problem burning the same songs with Nero on his computer...

Edited by velda

That is the burning program I use. I bought NTI CD-Maker 6 Platinum.

In your error report it is looking for a CD-RW disk.

Didn't you say you moved up to XP?

Try CDBurnerXP Pro. It works decent and is free.

yes I got a whole new computer from win98 to XP...however I DID burn successfully with this burner, and the nero demo program.....the only thing different from the last time I successfully burned is

I updated windows (since being told that's a big no no , that I need to read before I update :)

I bought new CDs --CD-R

Because of the windows updates, I lost my sound, but with the help of people here, I got it back.

Alright, I just checked and I DID use these same CDs and the same demo Nero program to burn my last successful CD..so I am still stumped. I'll try that other program you listed :) Thank you

How many burning programs do you now have installed? There was a time when some programs caused problems when installed with others. I don't know if that is still true, but I would think about uninstalling all your programs, reinstall your burner and then install one burning program and try to get that one to work. Might remove some unknown variables from your system.

LOL good question....actually I only had WMP and it didn't work...then I had WMP and Nero and they didn't work...now I have 3...I'll try uninstalling all of them..then reinstalling the burner and one program :)

Edited by velda

alright I uninstalled Nero and CD BurnerXP Pro 3....I deleted all my temp files, cookies etc (not sure if that even mattered) ran System mechanic, was sure that none of the reg keys were still in the registry for either program. I rebooted and reinstalled the CD Burner XP Pro 3 program and tried to burn. Same thing, burned one song and stopped. The exact error I got was:

Error while writing Audio CD: Error on writing disc.

??????

Receiving track error when attempting to create an audio CD.

This error is commonly caused when the compact disc is bad or the file attempting to be created contains errors. We first recommend you try creating the same audio CD on a different disc. If the same issue occurs it is likely that one of the songs you are attempting to add to the CD is corrupted or contains errors.

Maybe those CDs are not compatible with your burner, your burning speed is too fast or they are cheap or bad CDs.

How to Successfully Make an Audio CD

I had a feeling the problem was the cds and the burner combo, because my son CAN burn cds with these cds but has a different burner....they weren't cheap, they're sony..but I'll buy some CD R/RW next time..I know the songs are fine because the cd my son burned with them works great..Thank you SO much for ALL your help everyone :) Much appreciated! Can't wait to go shopping on saturday, buy new cds and try all over again LOL

LOL that's the joys of being a virgo, I never give up! Thanks for the encouragement :) What I like most about all this is the learning part, everyone is so helpful here, it's great :)

well it's rent to own, but I suppose I could grab the one from my daughter's computer LOL....or just keep bothering my son to burn them :) I'll try new cds first tho because this DID work!

Hey fellow Virgo. Yes we are tenacious or obsessive depending on your point of view. You shouldn't need CD-RW just regular CD-R or CD+R (not sure which you have). Buy a small amount of a different brand till you find a brand that works. Is what you're using now the same brand as what you used when it worked?

originally I used CD R/RW ....but yes, I've burned 3cds with this brand from this box, at first I thought perhaps that was the problem, but I checked my most recent cds and they are these ones...the only thing I've done differently was update windows and I had a sound problem that a member here helped me fix....other than that I have no clue what's going on....

Check out this microsoft article

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Wind:

Often having nero and roxio on the same machine causes the same problem with the buffers.

Second, I would try a different brand CD just to be sure, but the tracking error to me sounds like you have one of those artec burners which has a problem where the burning laser vibrates loose enough to get out of alignment and be unable to follow the track.. No fix, just need a new burner. May happen with any brand, artec are just notorious for it.

When an optical disk (CD, DVD) is made commercially; an acrylic disk is covered with a layer of metallic foil and a mechanical press stamps this foil to make pits. which will reflect the read laser differently than the flat undisturbed surface. This foil layer is then covered with a protective surface (in some cases another acrylic layer in others merely a label). Damage to the lower acrylic layer can be polished out, but if the top layer is damaged and the foil marred, the disk is not repairable.

Now we come to Recordable optical disks CDR and DVDR either + or - (the difference I will cover later)

The lower acrylic disk has a spiral groove cut in it and an optically sensitive (changes color when exposed to the right frequency and power of light) dye is put in this groove and then covered with either reflective foil or a doped layer of acrylic to accomplish "total internal reflection" as is done in fiber optics, where the refraction caused by the medium change will completely reflect certain frequencies of light (but be transparent to others) . The burn laser burns this dye , thus changing its color and hence the ability of the read laser light to pass through it . Once burned, this dye cannot change back ; so disks may be burned but not erased.

Rewriteable disks are similar , but use a liquid crystal (or liquid metal ) in place of the light sensitive dye; which at one power level will crystalize in one direction causing light to scatter, and when hit with a more powerful level will remelt and return to the original reflective state.

Now how does the drive know what type of disk it is? In the very center (all optical disks start at the center and work outwards) is a thin metal ring with the information needed for the drive to know what type of disk it is, what speeds it is designed to be burned at , and what power levels are needed to read, write, rewrite, erase etc as applicable. Then there is a "test" area for "calibration" of the needed lasers .

So now you know the difference between the different types of disks and how the drive determines which you have and what it needs to do to use them (note that this explains the calibration failed errors, if the calibration area of a write once disk is full or if the laser cannot meet the requirements of the disk you are using you get a calibration error). But what is the deal with the + and - .

Well these are "formats" or different manners in which the data is saved.

Just like when they first came out with video tapes there were two competing standards Beta by Sony and VHS by Phillips because of licensing restrictions of the original format so two different groups came up with differing standards for recording to DVDs. DVD-R was first, but some companies did not like the licensing and royalty scheme so they came up with their own format DVD+R . Think of it this way, one format the spiral is wide and the burn is perpendicular to the direction of the groove. The other the spiral is narrow and the burn is in the direction of motion. So in one you have a bunch of ------ along the spiral to represent data, and the other they are | | | | .

Now obviously you cannot burn one format on a disk designed for the other and you cannot burn one with a drive designed to burn the other. So many modern drives can burn either format depending on which type of disk you have.

DVD-R disks tend to be cheaper, but DVD+R tend to support higher burning speed.

Again, this is not a completely technically correct explanation, but it is putting things in "laymans terms" so you can get the idea.

So I suspect from your description that things are still capable of reading, but the burn laser is not correctly aligned and looses the track.

Thanks for the information Pete....I just got back with new disks, I got Memorex CD-RW instead of Sony CD-R and they still don't work, however now I get an error that says:

Writing Error: (3) Error occured writing data to disc

Writing error of unknown origin (1005)

Error Sense Data: SENSE KEY: 3 ASC: C ASCQ: 0

Off to read Pete's reply in more detail :)

Velda