Windows Security Center Is Incorrect

Windows Security Center inappropriately reports that Norton Anti-Virus 2004 is off when in fact it isn't off nor disabled.

I updated NAV and XP then I restarted with no avail. I still get the little red shield in my task manager (next to clock).

Hi daygo140,

One thing you could try, is to turn off that warning. In the security center, on the left click 'Change the way Security Center alerts me'. From there you can turn off your virus protection alert. While I would not reccomend this, as it is useful for alerting you when there actually is a problem, it is still an option if you are sure your AV is working.

Matt

I know how to do this. As you stated and I stated in the G4 forums that would be a bandaid to the problem. I'd like WSC to go back to correctly reporting NAV's status. This notification tells me two things: 1) WSC is incorrectly reporting that NAV is off OR 2) There is in fact an issue with NAV even though it appears to be running and enabled. Which is why I don't want a bandaid fix.

In the security center, where it says your AV is off, is there something called 'recommended solutions'? If so, click that, and click that you already have Norton and will turn it on manually always. This will stop the warning on boot up, and Norton will still come on when you boot up like it did before the problem. This may also be considered a 'bandaid' fix, as you put it, but give that a shot, reboot and see if Norton still starts and you get now error.

EDIT: Then, try disabling Norton, and see if the alert comes up. If it does, then it means that is still watching Norton's status, which is good.

Matt

Hi Daygo,

I've been reading this and as I'm a noob I would be scared to turn off that feature, too, although it probably is safe to do.

I have Mcafee and every so often there is an update that causes it to "not play nice" with some other programs. Did you notice this "buggy behavior" after a Norton Update (I read you updated it after the "buggy behavior", but didn't see if something might have triggered this) or has the "bug" been happening for a while?

When Mcafee releases a glitchy update, people flock to their forums and bellyache. Usually in a day or two, there is a new update that fixes the glitch. I looked at Norton's site and didn't see forums, but thought I saw a "feedback" section. If this started happening after a recent update, you might want to let Norton know about this, so it can be fixed quickly.

If this has been happening for a while, whoops! and I toss it back to the experts :)

Liz

Liz I suggested uninstalling the last update to see if goes back to working properly in his other thread. I've noticed people reporting problems after the latest update from Norton. Not this particular problem though. Worth a shot.

I know how to do this. As you stated and I stated in the G4 forums that would be a bandaid to the problem. I'd like WSC to go back to correctly reporting NAV's status. This notification tells me two things: 1) WSC is incorrectly reporting that NAV is off OR 2) There is in fact an issue with NAV even though it appears to be running and enabled. Which is why I don't want a bandaid fix.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember there being an issue with that after SP2

You may have to get an update from either Symantecs website or windows Update.

Dont know if these will help or not

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883792

http://forum.us.dell.com/supportforums/boa...essage.id=42142

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10168_7-5543538-1.html

... When Mcafee releases a glitchy update, people flock to their forums and bellyache.  Usually in a day or two, there is a new update that fixes the glitch. ... Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yeah and amen to that. Hasn't happened in a long time for me, but they sure had trouble with it a while back.

It does sound like Norton isn't reporting its status correctly to Windows (I'm not familiar with how Windows communicates with other vendor's products), thus it is a Norton problem and they should be the ones to fix this.

I'd test Norton first, and right now, to be certain that it's working. There is a downloadable innocuous "virus" that will set off antivirus programs if they are working properly. Norton may have this available or you can get it at other antivirus sites. If Norton immediately alerts you when you attempt to load this file then at least you'll know, for sure, that it's working and you are protected while you try to sort this out.