Good Socket A Hsf (finally Resolved Serious Heat Issue)

ok as some of ya'll that know me from the other place already know i have been having a recurring problem of overheating and i've used artic silver5, 5-6 times. so i need a new HSF. i'd appreciate suggestions on a new one that isn't too expensive and will keep my Athlon XP 3000+ 400MHz FSB under 55 degrees C

Thanks in advanced

**** How I fixed it. I went to my local computer computer store and bought this cheapo Cooloer Master HSF , used articlean on my CPU and then attached this HSF (had a thermal pad), whooppee temps dropped from 60 idle 63-65 load to 50 idle 52-53 load. i'm thinkin of askin for a Zalman for Xmas though, just to make sure we stay icy. Games performance has improved especially SWAT4 and BF2. it had a strange copper slab bolted to the bottom of the hsf rather than having just a small exposed area. it also has a 60mm fan fan spinning at 3500 rpms and it is whisper quiet. man I love that store. didn't go in there to buy it. went in to ask for a job :P . ****

Edited by Honda_Boy
ok as some of ya'll that know me from the other place already know i have been having a recurring problem of overheating and i've used artic silver5, 5-6 times. so i need a new HSF. i'd appreciate suggestions on a new one that isn't too expensive and will keep my Athlon XP 3000+ 400MHz FSB under 55 degrees C

Thanks in advanced

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My Xp3200 system stay at 95F ( 35 C) and back when it was my gaming machine (have a 64 machine now) it never went over 128F (53.33 C). This was done all with the stock heatsink.

I would guess your putting to much thermal paste on. Your only supposed to use less then a size of a grain on the CPU before attaching the heatsink. i have a pic somewhere give me a sec and i will try to find it.

Edited by Schusterjo

i put the proper amount on the stuff burns away my fan doesn't spinfast enough and i have been told i could have contaminated it with oils from my hand which I very well could have BUT i have used articlean everytime.

i put the proper amount on the stuff burns away my fan doesn't spinfast enough and i have been told i could have contaminated it with oils from my hand which I very well could have BUT i have used articlean everytime.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is the instructions with pictures on the proper way to apply paste. This so happens to be arcticsilver as well.

How to apply paste

About the fan, this could be a reason but in most cases you will start to hear a noise from the fan or it will just totally stop. do you keep the fan + heartsick clean of dust?

What brand of motherboard do you use? some like Asus have a motherboard monitor built into the bios that pretty much would detect a dysfunctional fan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I have a freind who got a heat pipe setup for his and he loves it. Around 50 bucks so I don't know if that is in your price rage or not but here is a link if you want to take a look......Thermaltake Heat Pipe

the fan works but is advertised at 2500-2700 rpms mine spins at 2200 and i have followed artic silvers instructions i know what i'm doin. This fan worked good for about the first 2 months i had it then it just went down hill from there. i just would like to know a good socket A HSF rated for my 3000+

yeah and i'm thinkin under $25

Edited by Honda_Boy
the fan works but is advertised at 2500-2700 rpms mine spins at 2200 and i have followed artic silvers instructions i know what i'm doin. This fan worked good for about the first 2 months i had it then it just went down hill from there. i just would like to know a good socket A HSF rated for my 3000+

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay no one said you didn't know what you was doing. you asked a question that had have been having a recurring problem of overheating and I've used artic silver5, 5-6 times...

I would be looking for the reason it runs a little warm and I'm just doing the process of elimination.

You say you know what you doing Okay then why do you say i have been told i could have contaminated it with oils from my hand which I very well could have the pics clearly show gloves being warn during the process..

But if you insist on not really trying to find out why and would like to buy a new heatsink and fan then what is you budget?

I could list one for you starting at $20 and all the way up to $130-40

under $25 there was a Gigabyte (same brand as mobo) that was perfect. it was cheap and highly praised by consumers but unfortunately newegg has stopped selling it and no other HSF has caught my eye yet.

thanks i'll keep those in mind. i had the silent boost bookmarked from newegg so i woulndn't forget it but the link you gave me is way cheaper. i think hell just froze over.

thanks i'll keep those in mind. i had the silent boost bookmarked from newegg so i woulndn't forget it but the link you gave me is way cheaper. i think hell just froze over.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Xoide is another shop you should bookmark. they have terrific sales that beat zipzoom,newegg and pricwatch sometimes.

very trustworthy site well.

Good luck!

Heck the truth is when it comes to quality of a computer fan there is really no such thing. a $5 fan will last just as long as your more expensive ones

What happen to all those 5 dollar fans

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

why not just replace the fan then?

A decent fan (60 - 92 mm in that range) will run you under $10.

Heck the truth is when it comes to quality of a computer fan there is really no such thing. a $5 fan will last just as long as your more expensive ones

What happen to all those 5 dollar fans

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I posted that same statement the other day in another forum

Here

I know all about it pretty much when it comes to cooling and price/quality. But when it comes to Heatsinks there is a great difference in quality/performance. All depends on what you plan on using your computer for or how much money you want to waste

Edited by Schusterjo
  • 2 months later...

restating above for those who scrolled down with out reading the first post (i'd be one of those more than likely)

How I fixed it. I went to my local computer computer store and bought this cheapo Cooloer Master HSF , used articlean on my CPU and then attached this HSF (had a thermal pad), whooppee temps dropped from 60 idle 63-65 load to 50 idle 52-53 load. i'm thinkin of askin for a Zalman for Xmas though, just to make sure we stay icy. Games performance has improved especially SWAT4 and BF2. it had a strange copper slab bolted to the bottom of the hsf rather than having just a small exposed area. it also has a 60mm fan fan spinning at 3500 rpms and it is whisper quiet. man I love that store. didn't go in there to buy it. went in to ask for a job :P .