Xp/internet/virus?/idk Help!

Hey there. Im having a fairly serious problem with a computer right now. When I open Internet Explorer the window appears to be loading normally for a couple of seconds, but then window suddenly dissappears. It's gone, not minimized, but closed itself. I am also getting a pop-up add (that never fully loads) that appears to be from icannnews.com or something like that. Does anyone know what is going on?

I know that my internet connection is good because I can use MSN messenger as much as I want, there are absolutely no problems there. I am pretty stumped by this one.

The computer also had several of those free Spyware and Adware decectors installed. I uninstalled all of those along with Norton System Works and tried installing Norton Internet Security. The installation seemed to go fine but the program wont open. If someone could please help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Hey there. Im having a fairly serious problem with a computer right now. When I open Internet Explorer the window appears to be loading normally for a couple of seconds, but then window suddenly dissappears. It's gone, not minimized, but closed itself. I am also getting a pop-up add (that never fully loads) that appears to be from icannnews.com or something like that. Does anyone know what is going on?

I know that my internet connection is good because I can use MSN messenger as much as I want, there are absolutely no problems there. I am pretty stumped by this one.

The computer also had several of those free Spyware and Adware decectors installed. I uninstalled all of those along with Norton System Works and tried installing Norton Internet Security. The installation seemed to go fine but the program wont open. If someone could please help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you still have internet access try running an online virus scan from Trend. If that finds nothing do a chkdsk and defrag. If your still having problems, download Hijack This and post it in the correct forum and the pro's can see if there is something else bugging your system. Worse comes to worse try system restore, or try to repair the OS with the OS CD. Assuming it is XP.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you still have internet access try running an online virus scan from Trend. If that finds nothing do a chkdsk and defrag. If your still having problems, download Hijack This and post it in the correct forum and the pro's can see if there is something else bugging your system. Worse comes to worse try system restore, or try to repair the OS with the OS CD. Assuming it is XP.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont have any internet access through a browser... I am on a different computer right now.

Try going to your control panel in your start menu, and click on "Internet Options" Clear out your cache and history. Then go through your cookies and clean them out also.

Then see where your homepage is set. If it's been changed, change it back to where you had or want it to go.

See if this helps.

Did this problem start right after you installed Norton?

Try going to your control panel in your start menu, and click on "Internet Options" Clear out your cache and history. Then go through your cookies and clean them out also.

Then see where your homepage is set. If it's been changed, change it back to where you had or want it to go.

See if this helps.

Did this problem start right after you installed Norton?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried the mentioned and it didnt help. It is possible that the problem started after Norton was installed. This is one of my friends computers that I am trying to get working again. I do know that it was VERY messed up (they were with out any type of protection for several months) and they paid some guy some big bucks to fix it and it was fine for a little while, so ya I guess it could have been Norton.

If IE doesnt close right away it displays the "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Message, giving me the option to Send Error Report or Dont Send. However, this only occurs about once every three times.

You could try uninstalling Norton and see if that solves the problem.

Can you download Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D on the PC your using and copy them over? Maybe even try Firefox to get online. I know some like using IE. So, that way we can send you to a link for repairing IE.

You could try uninstalling Norton and see if that solves the problem.

Can you download Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D on the PC your using and copy them over? Maybe even try Firefox to get online. I know some like using IE. So, that way we can send you to a link for repairing IE.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Will Firefox fit on a floppy or will I have to burn it?

I tried it out the link on my test machine and got this.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access to this document on this server.

It could be a problem.

Can you also burn and install

HighjackThis and post a log here in the HJT section?

I tried it out on my test machine and got this.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access to this document on this server.

It could be a problem.

Can you also  burn and install

HighjackThis and post a log here in the HJT section?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried downloading HiJackThis to a floppy and running it on the other computer but I got the error:

A:\hijackthis_sfx.exe

Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed.

Try downloading Edido, and a2-squared. Burn them to a disk and see if you can install them.

If you can, update them both, then boot into "Safe Mode" by restarting your PC while tapping the F8 key. then do a scan with them both. Remove what they find. Then restart your pc and see if you can install HJT.

Try downloading Edido, and a2-squared. Burn them to a disk and see if you can install them.

If you can, update them both, then boot into "Safe Mode" by restarting your PC while tapping the F8 key. then do a scan with them both. Remove what they find. Then restart your pc and see if you can install HJT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok.. I will do and let you know what happens