Looking For Driver For Hp Deskjet 710c For Xp

tried to install my old printer with my new computer and it said that it's not compatible....I need a driver for XP...it suggested I get it from HP site or my XP disk. Well I don't have an XP disk because it's a rent-to-own computer (let's not discuss that lol) so we aren't given a disk...HP says to get the driver from my XP disk too, ugh....can anyone help?

when you go to add printer and pick hp 710c it should just work, that is a parallel printer correct? so no real special drivers.. it should use the standard hp lp driver built in to Windows.

and who ever did the Rent to own is required by the OEM agreement to include a "way to restore or install windows". so they must give you a disk if you need it.. but I do not think you do..

but in case here it is.. you have to create an account with them to download it.. it free. but a pain..

Yes I've gone to the HP page........I insert my disk.....I go to Start>Control Panel>Printers and Hardware>Printers and Faxes>Add Printer

It's not in the list, so I click HP and then Have disk....I point to where the disk is in the CD Rom drive, and it says the driver is not digitally signed...I tried to point to "have disk" again and it does nothing. Everything I read says that this HP is not compatible wtih XP unless I have an updated driver. Any place I look for a driver says that it's not available for XP......

Yes I've gone to the HP page........I insert my disk.....I go to Start>Control Panel>Printers and Hardware>Printers and Faxes>Add Printer

It's not in the list, so I click HP and then Have disk....I point to where the disk is in the CD Rom drive, and it says the driver is not digitally signed...I tried to point to "have disk" again and it does nothing. Everything I read says that this HP is not compatible wtih XP unless I have an updated driver. Any place I look for a driver says that it's not available for XP......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here are several from DriverGuide.com HP 710C XP Drivers

I guess you have to sign up to see the page. it is free and quick but they do list several drivers for that printer......

Edited by il_wiccan

I can't get my xerox printer/fax/photocopier WorkCentre M940 to work either....this is a new computer with XP and it's the first time I've tried to use the printers with it....I am using a hub too (belkin data switch), they both worked fine when connected to my ancient win98 computer....everything is installed fine, and it reads fine when I do the "tests" but it won't print when I bring up a picture....this is really aggravating, I have an entire weeks worth of daycare lessons to print for next week :( The xerox is the only one showing as an installed printer...the HP doesn't even show up altho I got a message saying "your computer has been successfully installed" despite the not digitally signed , driver isn't compatible with xp warnings, ugh.

I point to where the disk is in the CD Rom drive, and it says the driver is not digitally signed...I tried to point to "have disk" again and it does nothing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I am understanding, you are clicking no after the digitally signed warning.

Just ignore that and click YES. Digital signing is just a way fo MS to make money, and it basically means nothing

Geesh I feel so stupid today....I signed up , found the drivers but when I went to download it nothing happened..nothing popped up to "download" nothing, ugh....I do NOT have my popup stopper on?? help??

That's right, that's what I did the first time.....then I uninstalled the software (for both printers) and reinstalled it (all correctly by having no cords plugged in, the hub on the right spot, rebooted etc etc....) and the 2nd time I clicked Yes and it said everything was installed correctly but nothing will work. When I try to print on the HP it says the driver is missing...when I try to print on the Xerox, it says it's printing but nothing comes out. All my ink are brand new cartridge$$

oh this is going to be a stupid question...did you try rebooting?  if so then forget I asked this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not a stupid question, after all I am blonde ;) (Okay trying to find some humour in this!) yes I've rebooted....many times lol....the computer is now communicating with my xerox, but it's still not printing..There is a box that comes up saying what page it's printing and what % is done and it says it's printing but it doesn't do anything..doesn't lift the paper, nothing..maybe something is physically wrong with it altho I can't imagine what, I haven't moved it and it worked perfectly 2 weeks ago on my old computer :(

alright...I can print a test page just fine from my xerox menu...but when I try to print an image, nothing, it shoots out a blank page. So it can't be anything wrong with the printer...

For the HP printer:

Step one: Check to see if the printer driver is already installed

To find out if printer is already installed, do the following:

Check to see if the name of your printer shows next to a printer icon. No my icon does NOT appear here

If the printer is there, you are done. The best printer driver is already installed. Proceed to Step four: Set the HP Deskjet driver as the default driver.

If the printer is not there, proceed to Step two: Connect the cables. Did that...

Step two: Connect the cables

With the computer and printer on, connect the USB or parallel cable to the printer and the computer. One of two things could happen: did that, it said new hardware detected

The driver automatically installs when the printer is connected to the computer. Several small dialogue boxes will appear showing the progress of the driver installation. When the installation is finished, a message displays stating that the printer is installed and ready to use. You are done. The best printer driver available for your printer is installed. Proceed to Step four: Set the HP Deskjet driver as the default driver. Nope no dialogue boxes appear other than the one that says there is no driver installed and it's not compatible with XP

If the Found New Hardware Wizard displays, click Cancel and proceed to Step three.

Step three: Manually install the printer driver

Click Start, then Control Panel.

Click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Printers and Faxes.

In Printer Tasks, click Add a printer.

Click Next.

Select Local, then remove the check mark from Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer.

Click Next.

Select Port

Parallel connection is usually LPT1

USB connection is usually USB001

Click Next.

Select HP from the Manufacturer list.

Select the printer model from the printer list, and then click Next.

Select Yes if this printer is the default printer, or select No if it is not.

Click Next to continue.

Select No to skip the test page, and then click Next.

Click Finish to complete the installation. tried all of the above choosing the printer from the list, says everything is installed but it won't work when I try to print and the icon never shows in the list of printers installed..I do get the icon on the desktop

Can't do any of the below, because my printer never shows up

NOTE: If prompted for a Windows disk in Step 12, do not use the disk that came with the printer, use the Windows XP disk or the recovery disk that came with the computer.

If prompted for a Windows disk, insert the appropriate Windows or PC Recovery disk (not the disk that came with the printer) and follow the instructions on the screen. Once the driver has been installed, it will be listed in the Printers window (Start, then Printers and Faxes).

Step four: Set the HP Deskjet driver as the default driver

Once you’ve installed the new HP driver, set it as the default printer.

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

Right-click the HP Deskjet driver then select Set as Default Printer.

For the Xerox:

Everything is connected....it's listed in the printer list.....all communication works....a test page works...but when I try to print an image, it gives me a small smear on the top right corner of the page and that's it. why would it print a test page perfectly fine but nothing else? I put in new cartridges but cleaned the print heads, aligned them, printed a test page all perfectly...so I KNOW it's communicating, but not printing :( I'm so frustrated :(

For the HP printer:

Step one: Check to see if the printer driver is already installed

To find out if printer is already installed, do the following:

Check to see if the name of your printer shows next to a printer icon. No my icon does NOT appear here

If the printer is there, you are done. The best printer driver is already installed. Proceed to Step four: Set the HP Deskjet driver as the default driver.

If the printer is not there, proceed to Step two: Connect the cables. Did that...

Step two: Connect the cables

With the computer and printer on, connect the USB or parallel cable to the printer and the computer. One of two things could happen: did that, it said new hardware detected

The driver automatically installs when the printer is connected to the computer. Several small dialogue boxes will appear showing the progress of the driver installation. When the installation is finished, a message displays stating that the printer is installed and ready to use. You are done. The best printer driver available for your printer is installed. Proceed to Step four: Set the HP Deskjet driver as the default driver. Nope no dialogue boxes appear other than the one that says there is no driver installed and it's not compatible with XP

If the Found New Hardware Wizard displays, click Cancel and proceed to Step three.

Step three: Manually install the printer driver

Click Start, then Control Panel.

In Printer Tasks, click Add a printer.

Click Next.

Select Local, then remove the check mark from Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer.

Click Next.

Select Port

Parallel connection is usually LPT1

USB connection is usually USB001

Click Next.

Select HP from the Manufacturer list.

Select the printer model from the printer list, and then click Next.

Select Yes if this printer is the default printer, or select No if it is not.

Click Next to continue.

Select No to skip the test page, and then click Next.

Click Finish to complete the installation.  tried all of the above choosing the printer from the list, says everything is installed but it won't work when I try to print and the icon never shows in the list of printers installed..I do get the icon on the desktop

Can't do any of the below, because my printer never shows up

NOTE: If prompted for a Windows disk in Step 12, do not use the disk that came with the printer, use the Windows XP disk or the recovery disk that came with the computer.

If prompted for a Windows disk, insert the appropriate Windows or PC Recovery disk (not the disk that came with the printer) and follow the instructions on the screen. Once the driver has been installed, it will be listed in the Printers window (Start, then Printers and Faxes).

Step four: Set the HP Deskjet driver as the default driver

Once you’ve installed the new HP driver, set it as the default printer.

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

Right-click the HP Deskjet driver then select Set as Default Printer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you go to File, Print, is the 710 listed in the selection of printers? What happen if you double click on the desktop icon? What happens if you right click on the icon?

If you go to File, Print, is the 710 listed in the selection of printers? What happen if you double click on the desktop icon? What happens if you right click on the icon?

When I click on the icon it says Printer driver problem -- Data required by the printer driver cannot be found or has been corrupted, restart windows and try printing again

When I right click on the icon it gives me the general information, shortcut tab and compatibility tab...I even tried to go with the win98 compatibility but it won't work.

And now that I've installed the driver suggested in another post from Xerox, my xerox won't work at all :( says there is no communication now...

SETHOOK...thank you! The help you offered for the Xerox setup and the Driver on their site worked..my xerox is now working thank you!!! At least daycare for next week is saved :)

Now to work on that darn HP!

You mentioned you are using a hub earlier.  Have you tried installing each printer directly connected to the PC to see if it would work by itself?  I'm grasping for straws....  Hang in there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought about that...let me give it a try..it won't mess up my xerox will it? LOL...it would be just MY luck!

You mentioned you are using a hub earlier.  Have you tried installing each printer directly connected to the PC to see if it would work by itself?  I'm grasping for straws....  Hang in there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope same thing....it's all about the driver :(

Alright back to the Xerox....every so often I get a print with alien characters in red and yellow across the middle of my image---I've printed 20 images and 2 of them had this...any ideas?

image.jpg