Batten Down The Hatches

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JeffroTa, I wish you the best. Hope that you will find your home in tact, and only have to do a clean up job, might be a big mess, but at least you will have a home to clean.

I hope that you all get the help that you need very soon.

tg1911, glad you did not have any trouble. I hope handplane is OK, but I realize it will be awhile before we know.

Barb :(

a short list of things to help our friends there

here's something for emergency use

lifesaver.jpg

something to keep you warm

campfmain.gif

something to eat that last for ever

TWINKIES-c2-thumb.jpg

http%20recollectionbooks%20com%20bleed%20images%20humor%20twinkies%20jpeg%209%2022%202004%2011%2038%2043%20AM.jpg

and a little of what you really miss

tinylaptopjapan.jpg

so stay safe for all of us :wub: cause your warranty is up and we can't find another mother board to replace you :D

Has anyone heard from handplane yet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nothing yet.

Still waiting.

370,000 homes in Southeast LA without power.

Could be a while, before we hear anything.

He's got my E-mail addy, with explicite directions to contact me when he can. :)

The tv coverage pictures look so devastating for so many many thousands of lives, homes, businesses; and the land under water looks almost like we've lost a good portion of this country. And that is just what the reports have shown so far, how much more destruction there must be that hasn't been covered.

I don't know the emoticon for weeping,

but here is one for love and prayers to all. :wub::wub::wub:

(We need a praying hands emoticon too.)

OK folks, lets put our wallets where our hearts are. Give as much as you can, and if your place of employment sets up a matching fund for hurricane victims aid, then go by the guidelines in order to double your gift. Many businesses did that for tsunami victim aid, and I expect them to do it for our people too. So check with your HR, or whoever at work, to see if they are setting it up.

I'm glad that some of our board people from that area have checked in and are ok. Hope those who haven't been back here yet are ok too.

Love and prayers to ya'll. :wub:

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat
Has anyone heard from handplane yet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nothing yet.

Still waiting.

370,000 homes in Southeast LA without power.

Could be a while, before we hear anything.

He's got my E-mail addy, with explicite directions to contact me when he can. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've never seen anything so terrible. Total devastation.

I hope handplane is okay.

I like the idea that Thesidekickcat put forth. Great link, macmarauder!

Unreal what this has done....

My thoughts and prayers go out to you all in this devastating storm.

JeffroTa...hope that things are intact when you return....it's good you are safe.

Hope and pray that handplane and family is alright...and awaiting his return here.

Take care everyone...

As it stands now, nobody is going to be able to get back into New Orleans for a month.

That's how long cleanup is supposed to take.

Two weeks to pump out the water, two weeks for cleanup the mess.

One of the breaks in the levee is 300 ft. long.

Flooding, in some parts of the city, is up to the roofs of two story houses.

Interstate 10 from New Orleans to Mississippi is destroyed.

And that's not the worst of it!

This is very disheartening. Watching this happen and know that many people have nothing left. No homes, no jobs.....

On the local news there was a request for anyone with a small boat to meet at a local mall then on to the New Orleans area for evac and rescue.

M

KLFY TV Local in Lafayette, LA

LAFAYETTE, La. (AP) -- Parents who had to evacuate because of Hurricane Katrina will be able to register their children for school in Lafayette Parish starting Wednesday.

Burnell Lemoine, deputy superintendent and chief academic officer for the Lafayette Parish School System, says registration ends Thursday and parents will be contacted Friday to let them know what school their children should attend.

He says students should be in classes by Tuesday. The children will be assigned to current schools depending on where they are in homes or shelters.

School Board member Rickey Hardy says he has been contacted by parents from New Orleans who are in Lafayette, and want to know if they can register their children for school. Hardy says wherever there is room available the school system should let them in. Officials have no idea how many new students to expect.

Lafayette Parish School System Superintendent James Easton says some schools in southeast Louisiana could be closed indefinitely because of the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina.

Easton says he has no idea if the district would be compensated by the state for servicing these students. To help the transition, local families are being asked to donate uniforms and school supplies to help these students.

Edited by mikex

Levy's breached, super dome torn up, southern part of a parrish washed into the gulf, a whole huge city flooded, and people still stranded.

Seems like man would figure out he can't mess with Mother Nature. Like build a city below water level. The mayor said, "of course we'll rebuild" My suggestion? Get lots of fill dirt first....

My prayers go out to everyone caught up in this disaster.

You all might find this article interesting. It was on Daily Rotation, and written last year just after Ivan missed New Orleans.

Article hosted by University of Colorado, written by University of New Orleans person

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that probably wasn't that interesting of a read earlier since it was most likely dismissed before. but now it's feels so surreal to read it.

yes i agree if we want to live any longer on this planet

we need to look after it

i see the city was lower than the river leval

and the same thing happened in 1917

is this true

it must be in the path of these

violent storms

those poor people

are what concerns me

woman and children are the most vunerable

my god i hope the loss of life isnt

to great

i was going to say none. but it is inevetable someone

is always not so fortunate.

what is happening to our world

wars. storms what all.

terriorists

nature has spoken

marty

Edited by martymas

Sure is good to hear the gulf coast state members checking back in with us.

Has everyone been accounted for now?

So much money is needed to help people there.

For those who might not think about it, to make your hurricane relief donation dollars go further check with your company to see if they are matching Katrina Relief donations.

Just found out when hubby got home tonight that Intel is matching their employee "Katrina Relief" donations to Red Cross (and other relief efforts) plus is donating a million dollars in addition to matching funds. So our check will be matched now. At least with that donation, I feel like we did a little something to help people.

Pat.

God bless everyone.