Grrr ok so iv had my computer for like..........3years i think ^^ and i was goin to do a completly clean installation of windows BUT, My stupid Sony Vaio never came with a Windows CD...Grr what the hell >_<, It came with 2-3 other CDs with crap software on it and bundled with alot of other crap software but no windows CD!....So am'i completly screwed? cuz im not buying a CD -_-.....SONY SUCKS

What model is this computer?

Some Vaio models come with a backup image of the software as shipped from the factory on a hidden partition of the hard drive.

You can check if this might be true in your case by looking at the drive with Disk Management.

To open Disk Management either:

Start, Run DISKMGMT.MSC

or

Right-click My Computer and select Manage

Click Disk Management

Look at Disk 0 and see if there are any partitions without drive letters assigned.

Grrr ok so iv had my computer for like..........3years i think ^^ and i was goin to do a completly clean installation of windows BUT, My stupid Sony Vaio never came with a Windows CD...Grr what the hell >_<, It came with 2-3 other CDs with crap software on it and bundled with alot of other crap software but no windows CD!....So am'i completly screwed? cuz im not buying a CD -_-.....SONY SUCKS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't blame Sony for your lack of knowledge on how to use the system and accessories. PCs are only as smart as the user.

Don't blame Sony for your lack of knowledge on how to use the system and accessories.  PCs are only as smart as the user.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I respectfully disagree: Blame Sony. NOT including software as important as the OS on a separate disk is their fault.

I wonder just how much money they save; burning the image on the drive vs. including the CD? Are we talking dollars per PC? Pennies?

(Whoa there: I know even 'pennies per' adds up, but Sony isn't the highest volume nor the lowest cost provider, so why do they do it? Would someone NOT buy a Sony if it cost a dollar more?)

Edited by JDoors

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't blame Sony for your lack of knowledge on how to use the system and accessories. PCs are only as smart as the user.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And that is why i asked...........................................

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And that is why i asked...........................................

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Commended for very good natured comeback :thumbsup: And that's why the experts are here. ;)

Liz

Again, don't blame Sony. You knew what was included in the box when you bought it. Have you checked out the manual that came with it to see how you restore your system? I'm just not keen on folks yelling at their PC makers for putting a gun to folks heads and making them buy their systems. (tongue in cheek)

my sony came with restore disks...the os is on a hidden partition but I can't remember how to acess the setup...anyway I had my own disk so I repartitioned the hard disk and got rid of the restore crap..computer manufacturers save about $90 by not giving you the disk but it is a good idea to buy your own.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try this web site for Sony Vaio:

Sony Vaio

There is a self service at the bottom. I couldn't go any further as I don't know your model. I think Sony calls it a Recovery Wizard. You might want to check and see if you have that. Click start/programs/accessories? It has to be somewhere, I would think.

Not sure if this is what you need. I don't know anything about a Sony. I have a Dell, and on the newer ones it is located start/programs/dell accessories/dell os recovery cd. See if you have similiar only called Sony, of course.

Barb :(

Well I don't know about sony but I do know many manufacturors are making their pc's preloaded. It is up to the customer to make an image when they purchase the pc. Some do put a "restore" partition on a hidden partition of the drive.

I really can't help but that is just the way things are going now. Look on some of their sites they offer a "recovery" cd for extra cost. (dell)

M

Sony, Gateway, HP, Compaq, E-Machines all used the hidden partition restore method for many years, so its not onl Sony. If you haven't deleted or formatted the hidden partition then you can just insert the recovery cd, and reboot and follow the on screen instructions, pretty simple.

if you destroyed the hidden partition, you have no option but to buy a new vrsion of the OS.

I think not including the os full cd is a sleazy way to cut corners.

Possibly a handshake deal between the manufacturers and Microsoft to get more money out of people.

I hate to say it, but this is one time I think there should be a law requiring every computer to come with ALL the cds needed to do a clean install if necessary.

In defense of the op, I just recently (last few months) learned about this no os cd problem for other people, though my 3 and a half year old HP came with all it's cds. And I have been watching computer ads in Sunday papers, also looked at computers for sale in stores and have not seen a one that says it doesn't have the cds. So it is not exactly up front and out in the open about this sleazy practise.

Perhaps we could turn it into the various state attorney general offices as a truth in advertising full disclosure or lack there of problem. Especially that NY state attorney general who loves to take on Microsoft. Ha!

Pat.

God bless everyone.

I wouldn't go so far as to blame MicroSoft, I assume MS would make even more money if they sold the OEM's the CD and book. It's more likely the manufacturer's way of cutting costs in such a competitive market.

My system's five years old (where's the dinosaur smilie?) and came with both the original Windows CD and the Windows booklet, but I am aware that's rare now (if ever done).

Actually it's a trend that extends throughout consumer products: Many products are cheaper than ever, but we're losing something in the process.

I wonder if the high-end units, the ones that still sell for $2500 and above, include the disk and book?

I also believe it's the manufacturers that have decided to do this. I think most of them do it now.

I know Dell you can get the CD, but you have to ask for it, and you will be charged for it. At least that is what I read. I would not mind that. I want the CD for OS.

Barb B)

why dont u go get a "get my windowsxp cd-key" program and write down your cd-key. Then go download windows XP. Then reinstall and enter your serial.

I had to do that when i lost my windowsxp cd once. works fine.