"college Major" Computer Question

I am in the process right now of trying to find a college to apply to over the next two years, but first I am having a little trouble choosing a major.

I intend on finding a job as "an IT guy" at a company and I am a little confused in picking a major. With the little research I have done (google) "computer science" sounds close, but I don't really want a job writing computer coding.

If anyone has a remote idea of what I am saying help me PLEASE!

(I won't be able to reply because I've got to go off to work now)

I am in the process right now of trying to find a college to apply to over the next two years, but first I am having a little trouble choosing a major.

I intend on finding a job as "an IT guy" at a company and I am a little confused in picking a major.  With the little research I have done (google) "computer science" sounds close, but I don't really want a job writing computer coding.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

where do you live? where do you want to work? (the state?) allot of it has to do with the geographical area in deciding what career to pursue. meaning there might be a abundant of trained individuals waiting to get a job in or have low paying jobs in the field you might have chosen for that geographical area.

Edited by Schusterjo

I intend on finding a job as "an IT guy" at a company and I am a little confused in picking a major.  With the little research I have done (google) "computer science" sounds close, but I don't really want a job writing computer coding.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great question! I was a hiring manager for technical employees near DC until this year, and here are my experences:

Companies like to see degrees in computer science and engineering. Having said that, it will probably not have anything to do with your job. I work with an aeronautical engineer and a liberal arts major. My degree is in business, and we all work in Cyber Security. What is most important is the vocational skills you get along the way. The computer science degree gives you an actual skill, coding. If you don't want to code full time, join the club. A lot of us don't choose to code full time, it isn't a very fun life. But when you really need it, to create a tool to automate a task, you will have it. If I had it to do again, thats what I would go for. At the time I was doing college they were teaching COBOL (don't laugh) for the language, and I couldn't find a school close to home that used C.

Geography also matters, as was identified earlier. Think about where you want to live before you pick a major. There aren't that many tech jobs in Aruba, but divers make a killing! :).

BH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great question! I was a hiring manager for technical employees near DC until this year, and here are my experences:

Companies like to see degrees in computer science and engineering. Having said that, it will probably not have anything to do with your job. I work with an aeronautical engineer and a liberal arts major. My degree is in business, and we all work in Cyber Security. What is most important is the vocational skills you get along the way. The computer science degree gives you an actual skill, coding. If you don't want to code full time, join the club. A lot of us don't choose to code full time, it isn't a very fun life. But when you really need it, to create a tool to automate a task, you will have it. If I had it to do again, thats what I would go for. At the time I was doing college they were teaching COBOL (don't laugh) for the language, and I couldn't find a school close to home that used C.

Geography also matters, as was identified earlier. Think about where you want to live before you pick a major. There aren't that many tech jobs in Aruba, but divers make a killing! :).

BH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Look and see if any colleges in your area offer A+ certification courses. You dont actually have to take them to take the A+ test but they help alot. I know in my area, over 90% of those people become IT guys. A+ certification allows you to work on software and hardware at the component level.

And given the recent circumstances, is aruba the best choice of places you could have picked?

Edited by CommonRider
And given the recent circumstances, is aruba the best choice of places you could have picked?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lemme see, he self identified as an "IT Guy", so I would hope Joran wouldn't be interested.

Crime is actually very low in Aruba. I live around DC, Aruba is a cake walk compared to here. The cost of living is low, and you have a great influx of interesting people. Sure there are bad elements, but I guarantee there are more killers in a few square blocks of any major US city than on the whole island. And mark my words, they will convict the kid regardless of his guilt. They have too much to loose. I just pray they find her, so they can put her to rest.

BH

Well, listening to what you want to do, I'd say you could go for a business MIS degree. This business major is quite popular, but that isn't to say there is absolutely 0 demand for it. This way, you can still be "the IT guy" and still have other options due to the nature of your degree. I don't know, maybe you should look into it....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's not really too many (that I've seen) bachelor's degrees targeted at IT specifically. I'm cleaning up my last few hours in a Computer Science degree this semester and I have one course related to networking, and it focused more on software developement, rather than network structure and design (though we got that too). This was a technical elective, not a required course.

I think there are really more associate type degrees that are specific towards IT. That and some of the Cisco certifications would probably be a better foundation for you. Now, I don't really know whether people right now prefer to hire a 4 year degree over a specialized 2 year one.

Computer Science (in my experience) is very much a math degree with an strong emphasis with appling that math to using computers. By default you will probably have a math minor in CS ciriculum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lemme see, he self identified as an "IT Guy", so I would hope Joran wouldn't be interested.

Crime is actually very low in Aruba. I live around DC, Aruba is a cake walk compared to here. The cost of living is low, and you have a great influx of interesting people. Sure there are bad elements, but I guarantee there are more killers in a few square blocks of any major US city than on the whole island. And mark my words, they will convict the kid regardless of his guilt. They have too much to loose. I just pray they find her, so they can put her to rest.

BH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's with Aruba? It was only a reference to geographical area connected to jobs - not where I live (North Carolina btw)

So basically from what I've read I'd be safe with Computer Engineering or Science Major, or a Business Major while taking computer classes to get A+ Certified. Thanks alot for the help - NC State has a pretty good engineering program and its nearby (cause i don't live in aruba!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's with Aruba? It was only a reference to geographical area connected to jobs - not where I live (North Carolina btw)

So basically from what I've read I'd be safe with Computer Engineering or Science Major, or a Business Major while taking computer classes to get A+ Certified. Thanks alot for the help - NC State has a pretty good engineering program and its nearby (cause i don't live in aruba!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess by that comment you dont watch the news at all. Well anyways, theres a teenager from a town in alabama, about 2 hours away from mine, that has been missing in aruba for close to 3 months now. I wasnt trying to make a big deal of what he said, just said i didnt think it was the best choice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess by that comment you dont watch the news at all. Well anyways, theres a teenager from a town in alabama, about 2 hours away from mine, that has been missing in aruba for close to 3 months now. I wasnt trying to make a big deal of what he said, just said i didnt think it was the best choice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People go missing every day. Quite frankly, im sick off hearing about it. There are much more important issues to cover, but the media picks the Aruba case. It is NOT national news, but for some reason it wound up on national AND world news.

I dont mean to sound un-emotional, but the media has turned this into something its not. It should NOT be on the world news. It should NOT be on the national news. But hey, america is obsessed the missing little rich girl, so that's what the media is going to give us.

Again, i dont mean to sound like a rude asshole, im just telling how i feel.

OH! And about this thread. Someone correct me if im wrong, but should he be looking into Cisco & MCSE certifications?

Edited by Bubba Bob

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People go missing every day. Quite frankly, im sick off hearing about it. There are much more important issues to cover, but the media picks the Aruba case. It is NOT national news, but for some reason it wound up on national AND world news.

I dont mean to sound un-emotional, but the media has turned this into something its not. It should NOT be on the world news. It should NOT be on the national news. But hey, america is obsessed the missing little rich girl, so that's what the media is going to give us.

OH! And about this thread. Someone correct me if im wrong, but should he be looking into Cisco & MCSE certifications?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I majored in Computer Engineering/Science would an A+ Certification be pretty easy if I am coming fresh out of classes?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I majored in Computer Engineering/Science would an A+ Certification be pretty easy if I am coming fresh out of classes?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WEll, Ive taken niether, so I wouldnt know. Im not sure how much networking the computer science classes cover.

But, you could take the test and find out. Nothing to lose but a little money.

OH! Book stores have A+ prep books.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WEll, Ive taken niether, so I wouldnt know. Im not sure how much networking the computer science classes cover.

But, you could take the test and find out. Nothing to lose but a little money.

OH! Book stores have A+ prep books.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The A+ class here is at a local community college. Takes 3 semesters, and none of the basic courses (math, science, english). Here you just take 1 semester of hardware, one of software, 1 of networking. I believe in Cali, all computer repair stores must have one member on their staff with a+ certification. I know this cuz i took it for a year. Wasnt for me though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes.

Cisco and MCSE (if you're at a windows house), there are also similar things for Linux and Unix, I know Red Hat has thier own "Red Hat Certified Engineer Program."

MCSE has been sort of devalued over the years with the flood of MCSE certified people, but Cisco have some very useful certification programs.

A+ is a gateway cert, it's what you need to work as PC repair guy or like. Some useful info, a lot of it is quite archaic though. Things like the default I/O address of an EPP Parallel port, or standard com port settings. Nothing you're going to be taught in a college CS program, but nothing some one familiar with computers can't take a book and an online practice exam and learn in a long weekend.

A degree in any technical or business related field is usefull for getting you in the door for an interview, certs give you a paper advantage but rea world experience will get you face time with employers.

Get a job working in the field and get your bosses and clients to write you letters of reccomendation when its time.

Nothing speaks louder then accolades from people you have worked for and with.

Quick!  Name the clock of an ISA bus and the voltage! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<The sound of crickets> LOL

There are technical degrees, if you really want to go hard core and not do computer science try:

Devry

The great thing about Devry and similar programs is you get a degree with a heavy coverage of the vocational skills portion of your chosen field.

For the vocational certs, Cisco CCIE virtually guarantees you a six figure income after 5 years experence in the DC area. I decided not to persue it because I didn't want to travel. The most highly paid CCIEs are the 'fly in' troubleshooters. SANS certifications in security are also prized. CISSP is less respected if you want to actually perform the work. Add these certs to any 4 year degree and you have all the check boxes required to fill jobs up to 120K in DC. After that you need a Masters.

BH