Hardware Not Present

can you post the output of lspci... or

/sbin/lspci

or cat /proc/pci

and give us a copy of the output of dmesg

you can do this simply by putting in a floppy

id
(write down your uid number ..should be 1000)
su -
enter root password

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy -o uid=enter-uid-here,sync
lspci >> /mnt/floppy/trouble.txt
dmesg >> /mnt/floppy/trouble.txt

now use the floppy in windows to post the information.

can you post the output of lspci... or

/sbin/lspci

or cat /proc/pci

and give us a copy of the output of dmesg

you can do this simply by putting in a floppy

id
(write down your uid number ..should be 1000)
su -
enter root password

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy -o uid=enter-uid-here,sync
lspci >> /mnt/floppy/trouble.txt
dmesg >> /mnt/floppy/trouble.txt

now use the floppy in windows to post the information.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

k i'll do it tommorow morning

forgot he command eject /mnt/floppy at the end..

also /mnt/floppy may not be created yet.. you can crete folders with the mkdir command

mkdir /mnt/floppy

thats it. im sick of this. i need someone that could physically be around to show me how to work all this linux stuff. i dont understand anything. i cant even save that dmesg and lspci info to a floppy disk. how much harder could it get? i'm definitly not saying that windows is better but should an operating system be so confusing?

which part is hard? which part failed..

Linux like Mac OSX are diffrent from Windows. that means there is a learning curve for people broght up on windows. Since I do alot of command line stuff its way diffrent then people work in Windows. Maybe I am just the wrong person to help you. Some one here must know the GUI tools that will mount the floppy and let you save the information.

another thing to look at.

when you start up windows the sytem has a map of devices that are "mounted"

when you start a unix machine (Linux,Solaris,Mac OSX) the kernels serach for devices and checks a file called /etc/fstab (or vfstab for mac and solaris..but same ideal)

this stands for filesystem tab or virtual files system tab..

in this file list where your floppy is. this does no good though if you don't know this. but know you do.:)

one other thing. Its hard to learn to something diffrently then you have always done things. I have problems in windows wondering why I can't see system error with just a simple command like dmesg. why do I have to search for the right gui window and hope its setup correctly (really this is all GUI based systems not just windows.. the diffrence is Windows is all GUI with almost zero command tools. )

do you have anyother network other than wireless? is so let use that to trouble shoot the wireless. no promises that I can get the wireless to work as the card is not supported and ndisWrapper is not 100%. but we can give it the good old collage try..

frustration is why I keep War Craft III on my linux box.. to excape, and not break things.

thats it. im sick of this. i need someone that could physically be around to show me how to work all this linux stuff. i dont understand anything. i cant even save that dmesg and lspci info to a floppy disk. how much harder could it get? i'm definitly not saying that windows is better but should an operating system be so confusing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What errors are you getting? Try not to get too frustrated, it can be very hard at first but you'll get the hang of things.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What errors are you getting? Try not to get too frustrated, it can be very hard at first but you'll get the hang of things.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well i couldnt get my lspci and dmesg info saved onto a floppy or anything so i could post it up here. i type

ndiswrapper -l

and it says the driver is present but it doesnt say the hardware is present. thats really confuses me especially because when i type

lspci

i read the line where it says network controller and it shows the info about the broadcom chipset and stuff like that. so how is it that it cant detect the hardware if it can show info about it right there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well i couldnt get my lspci and dmesg info saved onto a floppy or anything so i could post it up here. i type

ndiswrapper -l

and it says the driver is present but it doesnt say the hardware is present. thats really confuses me especially because when i type

lspci

i read the line where it says network controller and it shows the info about the broadcom chipset and stuff like that. so how is it that it cant detect the hardware if it can show info about it right there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lets go back.. is this the only network card in the machine.. is there another network card that you are not using. if there is more than one there more than one listing under lspci for network (I did not think wireless shows up as network.. buy iw..)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ndiswrapper -l

lspci

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lets go back.. is this the only network card in the machine.. is there another network card that you are not using. if there is more than one there more than one listing under lspci for network (I did not think wireless shows up as network.. buy iw..)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

all i have in the machine is my one linksys wmp11 v2.7

one last part.. this is a pci card not a pcmcia right?

Edited by iccaros

ok , im back to work...

I found a site that says ubuntu did not add floppy as abuilt in module.. (what were they thinking)

so you might have to use the command

modprobe floppy

this will load floppy driver...

I am tring to see if I can find the ndiswrapper problem.. may take a little time.. sorry..

Did you load the module with

modprobe ndiswrapper

if so you should see ndiswrapper listed in the output of

lsmod

. Also, just adding the driver wont just make the connection work. You need to edit /etc/network/interfaces so it looks like this

auto lo
auto wlan0
iface lo inet loopback
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
network 192.168.1.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
wireless_essid linksys
wireless_key xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wireless_channel 6

Your card may not be recognized as wlan0. Type

ifconfig

on the left it should have lo, and hopefully wlan0 as well.

If your card is recognized run

sudo /etc/init.d/networking start

then

ifconfig wlan0 up

. It was literally as easy as that to get my girlfriends wireless card working on Kubuntu using ndiswrapper. Granted this wont work at all if the problem is your pcmcia socket isnt recognized, but without lspci and dmesg we cant tell if it is or not.

ok , im back to work...

I found a site that says ubuntu did not add floppy as abuilt in  module.. (what were they thinking)

modprobe floppy

this will  load floppy driver...

I am tring to see if I can find the ndiswrapper problem.. may take a little time.. sorry..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Odd, I dont need to load a floppy driver in Ubuntu5.04 in vmware.

ok , im back to work...

I found a site that says ubuntu did not add floppy as abuilt in  module.. (what were they thinking)

modprobe floppy

this will  load floppy driver...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Odd, I dont need to load a floppy driver in Ubuntu5.04 in vmware.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It may not.. I don't have it here it see. adn VM doesnet run on Solaris yet.. so I'll take your word...

ok from the ndiswrapper site I see this

Card: Linksys #[WMP11 v2.7] 802.11b -- [link here|List#WMP11 v27]

* Chipset: Broadcom BCM4301

* Driver: Downloaded Windows 2000 driver from Compaq site. FilenameSP28538.exe.

* Other: Mandrake 10.1 with 2.6.8.1 kernel. NdisWrapper 0.90 built and installed. Use bcmwl5.inf.

this is how they made this card work.. so it may be a driver issue compatable with ndiswrapper.

Wireless Network: Broadcom Corporation BCM4301 802.11b

Broadcom dont seem to have drivers for the wireless cards, so I used ndiswrapper from httphttp://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/. I downloaded the wrapper, built the debian packages and installed them:

$ tar xzvf ndiswrapper-0.10.tar.gz

$ cd ndiswrapper-0.10

$ fakeroot debian/rules binary

$ cd ..

$ su

# dpkg -i ndiswrapper-modules_0.10-2.6.8.sg1_i386.deb ndiswrapper-utils_0.10_i386.deb

Then, downloaded the Windows 2000 driver from the Compaq nx9110 site. It came in a file called SP28538.exe. You need the cabextract utility to extract it. Once I had it:

$ mkdir ndis

$ mv SP28538.exe ndis

$ cd ndis

$ cabextract SP28538.exe

$ ls *inf

bcmwl5.inf bcmwl5a.inf

There were two 'inf' files in the directory, and I didn't know which was the right one, so I installed them both:

# ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf

# ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5a.inf

# ndiswrapper -l

Installed ndis drivers:

bcmwl5 hardware present

bcmwl5a hardware present

# modprobe ndiswrapper

# iwconfig wlan0

wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:off/any

Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462GHz Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00

Bit Rate:11Mb/s Tx-Power:25 dBm

This works fine. I'm editing this entry from the Qantas Club lounge at Sydney Airport, at 11Mbps (well, I can't type that fast, but you get the idea).

There is on peculiar thing. I had to install the nscd service, as it was required by some software I run. I found that if I dialup or setup a wireless connection, nslookup works, but I can't resolve any DNS names from a web browser. The solution is to restart the nscd daemon after the network connection is established

once again....another problem.

i removed the old version of ndiswrapper from synaptic and downloaded the new version. the extraction and other stuff went smoothly and then when i got to installation there was an error about the kernel sources. i'm guessing the error was caused by the first step.....

You need a recent kernel at least 2.6.6 or 2.4.26 with source. Under Red Hat or Mandrake, the sources can be installed using the package kernel-source<kernel-version>.rpm. Make sure there is a link to the kernel source from the modules directory. /lib/modules/VERSION/build should be a link to the kernel source, where VERSION is the version of the kernel you are running. If there is no link, you'll get an error at the make install step(i guess thats happened to me). To create a link, assuming the kernel sources are present, use the command

ln -s /usr/src/linux-<kernel-version> /lib/modules/VERSION/build

Make sure you have started compiling the kernel sources, so needed header files are present. Some vendors ship ndiswrapper in their distributions. Either use it or make sure you remove it before installing ndiswrapper by yourself. Make sure you have the Wireless Tools installed. Again, there is a package that comes along with Red Hat and Mandrake distributions. If you are using Debian you can install the wireless-tools package from the mirror. [[1] (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/wireless-tools)]

when i go into /lib/modules/2.6.10-5-386 i click on build and it says the link is broken because /usr/src/linux-2.6.10-5-386 doesnt exist. im wondering where the kernel sources are so i can create a link to them in /lib/modules/2.6.10-5-386.

another small thing i noticed was that i couldnt do some stuff because it said i wasnt the owner. who would that be? im the only user on the whole machine. im guessing that was why i couldnt edit anything in /etc/network/interfaces

a quick response would be nice. i would like to get this done by tonight. thanks :thumbsup:

root would be the owner.. as its a system file..

your kernel sources need to be installed. there should eb a package in apt called sources.

im going to guess

sudo apt-get install  linux-headers-2.6-386

should do it.

hope that was fast enough

once again....another problem.

i removed the old version of ndiswrapper from synaptic and downloaded the new version. the extraction and other stuff went smoothly and then when i got to installation there was an error about the kernel sources. i'm guessing the error was caused by the first step.....

You need a recent kernel at least 2.6.6 or 2.4.26 with source. Under Red Hat or Mandrake, the sources can be installed using the package kernel-source<kernel-version>.rpm. Make sure there is a link to the kernel source from the modules directory. /lib/modules/VERSION/build should be a link to the kernel source, where VERSION is the version of the kernel you are running. If there is no link, you'll get an error at the make install step(i guess thats happened to me). To create a link, assuming the kernel sources are present, use the command

Make sure you have started compiling the kernel sources, so needed header files are present. Some vendors ship ndiswrapper in their distributions. Either use it or make sure you remove it before installing ndiswrapper by yourself. Make sure you have the Wireless Tools installed. Again, there is a package that comes along with Red Hat and Mandrake distributions. If you are using Debian you can install the wireless-tools package from the mirror. [[1] (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/wireless-tools)]

when i go into /lib/modules/2.6.10-5-386 i click on build and it says the link is broken because /usr/src/linux-2.6.10-5-386 doesnt exist. im wondering where the kernel sources are so i can create a link to them in /lib/modules/2.6.10-5-386.

another small thing i noticed was that i couldnt do some stuff because it said i wasnt the owner. who would that be? im the only user on the whole machine. im guessing that was why i couldnt edit anything in /etc/network/interfaces

a quick response would be nice. i would like to get this done by tonight. thanks :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.10-5 linux-headers-2.6.10-5-386 build-essential

should take care of the missing sources, if not try

sudo apt-get linux-source-2.6.10

ln -s /usr/src/linux-<kernel-version> /lib/modules/VERSION/build

Edited by naraku9333

ok i install the kernel sources and stuff like that and then i went back to the ndiswrapper install. now i get errors like commands cant be found and some files cant be found and i'm just confused all over again. i would paste the actual errors but i couldnt get the word docs from my floppy to work here on windows.

is this stuff going to get easier any time soon? :(