Here we go, let me know what you think about my $2000 budget. There is a large chance that I forgot something major because I made this on the fly-

Just for notes, i was planning on putting the raptors in a RAID 0 Configuration

CD/DVD Burners (RW Drives)

Update SAMSUNG Black IDE DVD Burner Model TS-H552U/BEBN BLK - OEM

2 x $39.99 $79.98

ATX Computer Cases

Update ThermalRock Eclipse RH-M040-2AW Silver Aluminum 0.8mm (Chassis) Aluminum (Front Panel) ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

$115.00 $115.00

Internal Hard Drives

Update Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

$20.00 Mail-in Rebate

$186.00 -$3.00 Instant $366.00

AMD-compatible Motherboards

Update ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

$159.99 $159.99

Video Cards & Related Devices

Update eVGA 256-P2-N383-TX Geforce 6800 256MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

$30.00 Mail-in Rebate

$229.00 $229.00

Power Supplies

Update ASPIRE ATX-AS520W BLACK ATX 520W Power Supply - Retail

Model #: ATX-AS520W BLACK

$55.00 $55.00

Fans, Heatsinks (Case, CPU, Chipset)

Update ZALMAN CNPS7000B-CU 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail

Model #: CNPS7000B-CU

$43.99 $43.99

CPU Thermal Paste / Grease

Update Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

Model #: ARCTIC SILVER 5

$7.99 $7.99

Memory - System

Update OCZ Value Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ4002048V3DC-K - Retail

$208.25 $416.50

Processors

Update AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX - Retail

$380.01 $380.01

Operating Systems

Update Microsoft Windows XP Professional With Service Pack 2 - OEM

$146.95 $146.95

Combo

newegg Glossy Logo Sticker - OEM

-$5.00 Combo $43.99

Subtotal: $2,044.40

Shipping: $66.01

Total: $2,110.41

Rebates: $70

Grand Total: $2,030.41 - $30 Over Budget (No big deal)

Edited by xxkbxx
Nice system but a 520W PSU alittle overkill 500W at the most and the ram spend $75 more and get the ocz Platinum memory, and the ThermalRock Eclipse case is very very nice but I would find a case around $50-$80 but still a nice system.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I just grabbed one of the power supplies on the front page for deal since I didnt feel like looking

Normally I look at OCZ memory, just out of curiousity what makes Platinum so much better (outside of the really shiny heatspreadder)

And the main reason I ever wanted to build a computer (something I've wanted to do as soon as I got intersested in computers) was to have an awesome case!

i could be wrong but i think platinum is a better conductor than regular whatever is on ram, so it has a less chance of not picking it up or pooping out. they use gold on processors for the same reason. or maybe platinum is just an upgraded type.

Yeah, I just grabbed one of the power supplies on the front page for deal since I didnt feel like looking

I suggest you grab a different one. From this list

Normally I look at OCZ memory, just out of curiousity what makes Platinum so much better (outside of the really shiny heatspreadder)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Without looking, I would guess it has better timings and is probably tested for higher overclock speeds.

Also, links would be nice.

Also, RAID 0 is rarely a good idea.

Edited by Aluvus

I suggest you grab a different one. From this list

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Without looking, I would guess it has better timings and is probably tested for higher overclock speeds.

Also, links would be nice.

Also, RAID 0 is rarely a good idea.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why? What's wrong with data striping?

No redundancy...twice the chance of failure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, but hard drive failure is less common today then it was in the past.

However, I could always hook up a cheap 40g ATA drive for backups since I don't feel like investing in two more raptors for a RAID 0+1 Config

Video Cards & Related Devices

Update eVGA 256-P2-N383-TX Geforce 6800 256MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

$30.00 Mail-in Rebate

$229.00 $229.00

Would not be my first choice for a Nvidia manufactures card

BFG is to Nvidia as ATI is for ATI

Other good manufacture

Asus

ABIT

MSI

GIGABYTE

Just because it says 6800 does not mean its going to perform like a real well manufactured 6800

Might as well buy a BFG 6600 GT OC

it would perform just as well as the card you have selected and probably better

Processors

Update AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX - Retail

$380.01 $380.01

"Retail" comes with a fan and heatsink, no need to buy anything else unless you plan overclocking it. and for that no real reason to overclock as of yet. nothing really you could run on that computer would push it as of yet.

So you could save some money and dew away with

Fans, Heatsinks (Case, CPU, Chipset)

Model #: CNPS7000B-CU

$43.99 $43.99

and totally do away with

CPU Thermal Paste / Grease

Update Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

Model #: ARCTIC SILVER 5

$7.99 $7.99

save some money or add it to something better on you computer (such as video card)

Memory - System

Update OCZ Value Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ4002048V3DC-K - Retail

$208.25 $416.50

Any reason on why you think you may need 2G of RAM?

Unless you plan on doing video editing you will never use that much and even then you probably would not use that much.

For gaming you will never even use the full 1G at this point the most you would use for gaming as of now would be the 800Mb range

Overkill and extra money you could use for something else (CPU or video card?) unless you plan on doing allot of video editing

Great choice as for OCZ manufactured, second to Corsair

Operating Systems

Update Microsoft Windows XP Professional With Service Pack 2 - OEM

$146.95 $146.95

Cheaper here

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition (Full Version) Single-Pack OEM *** Free 2nd Day *** $139.99

I know this is going to probably turn into a controversial comment but why buy the 32bit version?

The 64bit is the exact same price

Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (Full Version) Single-Pack OEM ***Free 2nd Day*** $139.99

Sure there is hardly any programs/games out as of yet using 64bit but you will start seeing more and more really soon.

Why? it is a faster, sure i know that is another controversial statement but the fact is 64bit allows for an extreme number of addressing therefor in the "graphic" department it will be faster. extremely faster? no but it will be faster.

Internal Hard Drives

Update  Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

$20.00 Mail-in Rebate

$186.00 -$3.00 Instant  $366.00 

These drives are known to run very hot. Protection is cheap, I would buy a couple of these.

I am not a big fan of WD, I had 3 120s fail within a year. But for what you want to do, they may be the only choice. I guess you know that you are taking a risk spanning the drive. If either fails, you are SOL. I would seriously consider just using 1 for the C drive and backing it up with a 250 for a data drive. From what I have read that gives you the best of both worlds.

BH

Memory - System

Update  OCZ Value Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ4002048V3DC-K - Retail

$208.25    $416.50 

BTW, 4G of ram or 2? I have quad processing servers and they don't need 4G of ram!

It is going to be a nice system.

BH

Also, we had a discussion in another thread about the dual core AMDs versus AMD XP 4000+. Unless you want this computer to last you a long, long time (because this processor is going to be on the market for a long time), you could go with the XP 4000+, if you want to tone the total price down, that is.

Also, I agree with the extra RAM, there is no need to get that much right now, unless you seriously think so. 1GB should be enough, keep some money open later on to upgrade as games/applications begin to tax the RAM a bit more.

As for motherboard, it looks pretty good for the price, so no complaints there :D.

I'm not sure if you have changed your mind about the RAID 0 configuration due to everyone else's input, but also consider this to shave some more money off the total price: Get 1 Raptor, install OS, commonly used programs, etc., on it, and get another large HD (perhaps around 200GB) just so you have the security of extra space. That'll cost a significant amount less than an extra Raptor, and chances are your commonly used programs won't exceed 74GB. However, that's just my take on it, if you still want to set up RAID 0, i say go right ahead and get the 2 Raptors.

For the graphics card, its a bit different how I look at it....I consider myself quite a gamer, but I never mind if the graphics aren't 100% best. I wouldn't buy such an expensive graphics card for gaming only, but then again, i'm not that strict about it :D.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

Everyone thanks for the input

I agree with 4GB being quite a lot, I think I will just go with high quality 2GBs instead

I'll have to think about what I want to do for the hard drive, I might just take one Raptor for OS and Games and the other for videos, music, and pictures

I shoud have added at the top that I planned on using the computer for Video Editing, Photo Editing, Publishing (Meaning I will have Photoshop CS, Adobe Pagemaker/Indesign, and Imageready open at the same time - along with some Music and probably AIM)

Two more questions - should I go XP Pro Regular or 64x? and what graphics card would you recommend?

Well....you are going for more media editing than gaming, as you are saying. I usually learn towards Intel HT for media, as AMD excels in gaming. Though, since you are getting a dual core processor, it may balance out. Though, i just want to tell you i'd rather go for intel in your scenario.

Since the x64 OS is the same price as XP Pro, i'd suggest you go with the x64. Since you parts are up there, why not get an OS to match?

As for your graphics card, 6800 looks good to me.....

No redundancy...twice the chance of failure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, but hard drive failure is less common today then it was in the past.

However, I could always hook up a cheap 40g ATA drive for backups since I don't feel like investing in two more raptors for a RAID 0+1 Config

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It still happens.

RAID 5 only requires 3 drives and is safer than RAID 0. For the cost/performance difference, non-RAID would be the way I'd go.

I shoud have added at the top that I planned on using the computer for Video Editing, Photo Editing, Publishing (Meaning I will have Photoshop CS, Adobe Pagemaker/Indesign, and Imageready open at the same time - along with some Music and probably AIM)

Two more questions - should I go XP Pro Regular or 64x? and what graphics card would you recommend?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In that type of application, ludicrous amounts of RAM are justifiable. These days I have to run Photoshop and InDesign together all day, and my laptop's 1 GB of RAM begins to bog down after a few hours of switching back and forth. A dual core chip would also ensure that music/AIM/other background-ish stuff doesn't hurt the performance of the main apps. Photoshop has support for multithreading, I'm not sure if the others do.

Buy XP Pro 32-bit. Period. The driver issues and others snags associated with the 64-bit version are not at all outweighed by the marginal performance gains. And AFAIK, you can still "upgrade" from the 32-bit version to the 64-bit version for free, if you change your mind. But it doesn't work the other direction.

And as much as I choke on saying this... you might actually want to consider a Pentium D. P4s are good for this type of work, dual cores offer some advantage for your scenario, and the Pentium D's horribly weak implementation of dual cores might not hold you back. Might.

Edited by Aluvus