Ok I am currenlty about to by Cameras. I know a smaller cannon Megapixel lense is better then some bigger ones

Like a cannon 3.0 is equivalent to some 4.0's and some 5.0's.

Well I have a $325 budget and i want Good Optical Zoom and Cannon If i can. Well I am surfing right now and have been, and will be. I just need some good links from you guys if you find good deals.

~Jose a.k.a TTDO

I currently use the Kodak DX6490, it has awesome 10x optical zoom, 3x digital zoom, and 4.0 MP. Pretty hefty price at $399.95, but I like it, and I got it on clearance. If you want more MP, which won't be a problem unless you are trying for the best, you can go for the Kodak DX7590 ($449.95, 5.0 MP) or the Kodak Z7590 ($399.95, 5.0 MP). However, I believe the DX6490 is the only one that comes with a cradle out of the box....

Kodak High Zoom Cameras

I personally haven't owned a Canon, but I have heard a lot of good things about them. I like the PowerShot S1 IS, the PowerShot S2 IS, and the PowerShot G6.

Canon Digital Cameras

Usually Kodak and Canon are my first choices, but Sony, Konica Minolta and the other major competitors are also fines choices.

Good luck shopping!

I currently use the Kodak DX6490, it has awesome 10x optical zoom, 3x digital zoom, and 4.0 MP. Pretty hefty price at $399.95, but I like it, and I got it on clearance. If you want more MP, which won't be a problem unless you are trying for the best, you can go for the Kodak DX7590 ($449.95, 5.0 MP) or the Kodak Z7590 ($399.95, 5.0 MP). However, I believe the DX6490 is the only one that comes with a cradle out of the box....

Kodak High Zoom Cameras

I personally haven't owned a Canon, but I have heard a lot of good things about them. I like the PowerShot S1 IS, the PowerShot S2 IS, and the PowerShot G6.

Canon Digital Cameras

Usually Kodak and Canon are my first choices, but Sony, Konica Minolta and the other major competitors are also fines choices.

Good luck shopping!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely agree. The DX Kodak series are great for anyboby who wants LOTS of control over their picture can't can't afford something that costs $1500.

I own the DX7590 and chose it after a few weeks of solid research and a large whiteboard.

I'm really not qualified to answer this question, because I'm still using an $11 Dakota Digital 1.2MP "single-use" (Modified to be reusable, of course) as my primary camera. I know nothing about advanced features or pros/cons of certain brands.

I do know this much: you are correct, megapixels aren't the whole story. A lower megapixel camera with high-end lenses and optics can have similar or better quality when compared with a higher megapixel camera using cheap optics.

Also, one more thing I do know: ignore digital zoom. Optical zoom is more important. Yes a digital zoom of 240X may sound appealing, but with digital zoom, anything beyond 2X will pixelate or blur the pictures, making them worthless. If you're going to be doing a lot of zooming in and out, look for high optical zoom levels.

That's all I can say with my limited knowledge and qualifications on this subject.

Also, one more thing I do know: ignore digital zoom. Optical zoom is more important

I would agree with that

No way is a 5 mega pix camera the same as a 3. If you are happy with viewing them on your pc or not printingp picture bigger then 3x4 then a 2 mega pix would be fine but I doubt thats what you want.

The Cannon sureshots are good, as is the ikon coolpix.

Just remember, there comes a point where megapixels won't mean much because your eyes won't see a difference. If you go for a high MP, I'd say starting at 5.0, digital zoom begins to be a bit more significant.

I remember once on TSS, they did this whole scene where a guy had taken 2 pictures of the same object, one was an 8MP camera and the other was a 2MP camera. I seriously could not tell a difference. There goes to show you, 2 things I see: Megapixels aren't everything, as said above, it's also about the optics you have. Second, higher-than-average MP (>5.0) is only used to the potential when digital zoom is used as well.

As for digital media, be careful which company you choose. Sure, Sony's higher prices may look good for what you get, but if you look at the MS pro duo, you'll cry when you pay....:D.

I remember once on TSS, they did this whole scene where a guy had taken 2 pictures of the same object, one was an 8MP camera and the other was a 2MP camera. I seriously could not tell a difference. There goes to show you, 2 things I see: Megapixels aren't everything, as said above, it's also about the optics you have. Second, higher-than-average MP (>5.0) is only used to the potential when digital zoom is used as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It probably doesn't help that the average TV has less than 0.1 MP total resolution.

Higher resolutions are great for larger prints, or for when you may later edit out a significant portion of the image. In the latter case, they ensure you have more pixels to describe the object you're interested in.

Just remember, there comes a point where megapixels won't mean much because your eyes won't see a difference. If you go for a high MP, I'd say starting at 5.0, digital zoom begins to be a bit more significant.

As for digital media, be careful which company you choose. Sure, Sony's higher prices may look good for what you get, but if you look at the MS pro duo, you'll cry when you pay....:D.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Judging image quality over TV isn't a good way to do it.

I don't know how you can't see the difference in megapixels. Maybe if you are talking about a small print but in the age of digital-everthing physical copies mean less and less.

Plus more megapixels means you can crop an image to the extreme and still have a pretty good photo. Important for people who need to take pictures as they happen and do not have time to compose a shot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Judging image quality over TV isn't a good way to do it.

I don't know how you can't see the difference in megapixels. Maybe if you are talking about a small print but in the age of digital-everthing physical copies mean less and less.

Plus more megapixels means you can crop an image to the extreme and still have a pretty good photo. Important for people who need to take pictures as they happen and do not have time to compose a shot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is very true.

Another good reason for my suggestion on a different thread.

Digital Photography

Edited by irregularjoe

Yeah, i understand TV isn't the best thing to judge over, but it just goes to prove a point.

Also, as I said, unless your cropping and enlarging, you aren't going to be using higher MPs to its full capacity. I'd rather go for an average MP and have awesome optics over high MP and decent optics.

Look who it is?

Dirty Mexican..YUCK!

IMP..Cannon Powershot ALL the way!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do not like to see racist language!!! This is BestTechie's board, and we are family here, and as such do not want anyone treated to this kind of garbage. Leave the G$ attitudes over there, don't bring them to this great board. In fact just quit saying such garbage entirely.

I had to say something against that hideous remark, couldn't let it's ugliness stand with no comment against it.

Pat.

God bless everyone.