Ok I just got an LCD monitor from my friend and I finally got a VGA cable for it but for some reason the backlight won't stay on for any more than 1 second. When I boot any computer I have it hooked up to it'll come on for one second then go "black" and anytime it recieves a new signal like when the windows logo comes up and when it actaully gets into windows it does it again. It'll light up for one second. Well I noticed if there is no light on it (took a bed cover put it on the monitor and over my head) and stuck a flash light right up on it and turned it on i could see the screen some so I know it works.

I bought the cheap $9 Belkin cable. It's thin. If I bought the $40 cable that is basically the same as all my CRT monitors just with 2 ends, would it work? The one i bought is real thin and beige.

Pease Help!

Ok it isn't the VGA cable. I removed it from the monitor all together and did the flashlight thing and sure enough I could see the no signal text. So it is defiantely not the cable . so what's wrong why is the back light not working right?

no i've tried 2 different cards and it does the exact same thing when not hooked up to anything when it says no signal I can put the flash light up to it and see the so signal text

Well looking a gift horse in the mouth doesn't seem to work...sorry!...the flashlight made think of that one. Anyhow did the monitor work before your friend gave it to you? Did you see it working there??? Or was he just dumping a dead horse onto you? I hope not though. Does it have any special driver that Windows needs, that plug and pray (oops sorry again)? Maybe plug and play isn't recognizing the monitor for some reason?

And since I am a noobie, and don't know more than to ask questions (and no I'm not usually a smart aleck...sorry about that part), I will just leave now with best wishes to get it working.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

everythin in the monitor works except the light. even when it isn't hooked p to anything it has the split second light i then hold the flash light to it and yep it still says no signal. and i have it hooked up to the sidewinder right now along with my Dell M991 in a clone output. I can hold the flashlight up to it and see the website right now and run the scroll wheel and see it scrollin.

I read about this happening before but can't for the life of me remember what was wrong. If you haven't already, try resetting the settings for teh monitor, there's a small chance maybe something got turned way down.

I think you got it into your head there's some type of 'connection,' software, driver, Windows, cable, or other problem when it's quite apparent the flourescent tubes are shot (or more likely, the power/ballast). <edit> 'Nother thought, the logic circuits in the monitor could be fried, supposed to turn on the light when there's a signal but apparently isn't doing so. Either way, it's expen$ive to fix, unfortunately.

Tests; Hook a different LCD to your hardware, if it works, it's that monitor. Hook that monitor to a different system, if it still doesn't work, it's that monitor.

Edited by JDoors

I've heard that resolution settings are quite specific, and high, for LCDs compared to CRTs too. So check that.

And color/brightness/contrast to make sure that nothing was set to an extremely dark setting.

But I really think that someone gave it to you as his disposal solution for a dead horse. I hope I'm wrong.

Talk to the friend and see if he 'fesses up'.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

I just Googled your LCD model, and here is the first page for you.

Sceptre

Here is the more important Support page, for you to check out.

Sceptre Support Site

Phone # listed on first page is 1.800.788.2878 if needed.

Maybe that support page will help you get it figured out. I should have thought of Google earlier. Oooops! :rolleyes:

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat

what gets me is he also dropped off a 10 year old 17 inch CRT with a mutilated VGA cable that works prfectly fine. i think he said his dad found them in a closet at his office. i am sure it is the back light cause i have to use a flashlight to see the menu on the blasted thing. i've tried every setting. the back light just flashes once every time it gets a signal. Ex. Boot the computer the Video card bios is visible for 1 second then same thing with the gateway log. then a quick flash of the bootloader. then a quick flash of the Windows 98 logo then a quick flash of green (background color) and then nothing unless i use a flashlight to see what i'm doing and change resolutions then guess what, a quick flash of my car (wallpaper).

There what it does in a nut shell. Maybe i should take video of what it does then link it to ya'll but i'll call my friend and ask if he has another or call a repair place and ask a quote

• 3 weeks later...

Manufacturers usually provide a 3-year warranty. This long warranty stems from the LCD backlight's lifespan of 20,000 to 30,000 hours, compared to the 10,000 to 20,000 lifespan of a cathode ray tube.

that info from a search on google, when i typed in; "lcd monitor backlight life span".

i'd gotta go with the backlight being bad.

and, guess what, backlights don't cost a little bit of money either.

take it to a repair shop, get an estimate, pay for the diagnostics, then cry because you got a dead monitor, that'll cost more to repair than buying a new one.

sorry, but, i do believe the backlight is dead.

here's a link to the site i got that info from, and there are others as well, read through them.

check here

Edited by pro1driver