I swear I'm going to scream! I just got a new computer (thru rent to own, yes it's under warranty but then I'd be without it for who knows how long :( )

I went from a 7 year old computer that finally lost sound and colour to a brand new XP computer. I rebooted the other day and now I have NO sound. My daughter was also playing her music quite loud prior too, but we've tried 3 sets of speakers. I also cannot get sound from plugging in headphones both in the back and in the front. I'm not to familiar with XP yet so I'm not sure where to go to check things out. I did find Start>Control Panel>Sound,Speech and Audio Devices>Sounds and Audio Device and it says I have no audio device. The device it should be using is C-Media AC-97 ....I've tried going thru the troubleshooting but it doesn't get me anywhere. It says the device cannot start (code 10)

Edited to say that I have tried to update the driver, but there were no newer updates

Can anyone help me fix this without having to take it in?

Velda

Edited by velda

If you mean windows updates yes...that's about when it happened, which was why I was rebooting. Now as I said I'm not too familiar with XP...I uninstalled it but now how do I reinstall it? I can't find it anywhere now to find a reinstall?? Thanks

Velda

go into device manager, sound, and remove any drivers...then reboot...xp should see you sound card and look for new drivers...the drivers should be on the windows disk or the driver disk if you have them...otherwise you'll have to go to the product website and download them..I'm sorry that I can't be of much help as I don't use xp...please wait for some of the xp guys..they will help you more than I can...have a good day.

Edited by bearskin

If you have updated from the Hardware section in Window Update with C-Media driver, you'll have no sound. Roll back the driver and you have the sound back. Or, go to the link below and update your driver.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97...8&Software=True

It all worked out for me in the end. Except for critical updates, do not blindly accept the Software and Hardward updates. Read the details first. Since then, I go to the hardware manufacturer's site for driver updates. Forget the Window Update.

well that didn't help, I'm still lost with no sound :(

(ooops this comment is not directed at you dragon...it was for the updated driver that I downloaded, it didn't work...)

Trying to roll back and updating the driver you suggested, dragon...I'll be back ;)

Edited by velda