My daughter plays the SIMS 2 On this machine and while the game plays great when I eject the Disc it seems to be held in memory. without the disk in the drive I can explore it's contents. This is not so bad but when I go to play a game or explore another CD it still sees the SIMS 2 disc. I have to logout then back it to access. Now this does not apply to everything if I put in a Blank CD windows sees it and I can use BurnQuick or Nero to burn a disc but in my computer it still reads SIMS 2 and it's content.

this is what I have tried

1. uninstalled driver

2. Cleaned driver leftovers

3. reinstalled drivers

4. updated firmware

5. tried ejecting the CD with right click

None of this has help.

it is a Lite-On LTR-48246S

Machine Spec:

XP Home SP2

AMD Athalon 2200

1 gig PC 2100 ram (actually I think it is BWD compatible PC 2700)

Any Ideas because I'm stumped it is really not a big deal I also have a emachine with the same specs that runs great and never stutters but if I turn it off I have to wait 15 to 20 before I can turn it back on. Temp is fine all driver up to date. this has gone on for a year never had any other problems though and help on either would be appreciated.

Preston

Note: it is my bed time so if none of the above stuff makes sense forgive me.

Edited by rhema7

Preston, my son had the exact same problem with a game and if I remember right, it was a Sim game!!! While our problem was solved by him discovering Populus and me "hiding" the possessive game, I wonder if its a kink in the game itself. (now this is with me not knowing what "update firmware" means, you might have already checked out the game so ignore this if you have :) )

Have you tried going to the Sim website forum?? Another game wasn't playing nice with Mcafee Firewall and per the suggestions I got here, I checked and lots of players were having the same trouble. I emailed Mcafee, and a week later, Mcafee fixed whatever the trouble was.

Why do you have to wait 15-20 minutes to turn the emachine computer back on? What happens when you turn it on sooner? Really just curiosity here!! ;)

*and I'm on my first coffee, so "I hope this makes sense" right back atcha!

Liz

Preston, my son had the exact same problem with a game and if I remember right, it was a Sim game!!!  While our problem was solved by him discovering Populus and me "hiding" the possessive game, I wonder if its a kink in the game itself. (now this is with me not knowing what "update firmware" means, you might have already checked out the game so ignore this if you have :) )

Have you tried going to the Sim website forum??  Another game wasn't playing nice with Mcafee Firewall and per the suggestions I got here, I checked and lots of players were having the same trouble.  I emailed Mcafee, and a week later, Mcafee fixed whatever the trouble was.

Why do you have to wait 15-20 minutes to turn the emachine computer back on? What happens when you turn it on sooner?  Really just curiosity here!! ;)

*and I'm on my first coffee, so "I hope this makes sense" right back atcha!

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if I turn the emachine back on before the time it will start only the fans and nothing else. thanks

The suggestion about the website is a great idea I should have thought of it.

Edited by rhema7

I am wondering if you maybe have a virtual drive program which is mounting the CD as an image.

The other likely explanation is that the CDROM IDE cable is going bad and when it has become hot due to a lot of data transfer, the crimped end starts to expand a bit and the teeth no longer bite cleanly into the outer two wires which carry the insert notification and drive query data.

I am wondering if you maybe have a virtual drive program which is mounting the CD as an image.

The other likely explanation is that the CDROM IDE cable is going bad and when it has become hot due to a lot of data transfer, the crimped end starts to expand a bit and the teeth no longer bite cleanly into the outer two wires which carry the insert notification and drive query data.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking the same (about going bad). I have no virtual drives install because many games will not allow you to install it with a cloning and virtual drives present.

Maybe I'll get a new DVD writer and solve this problem and offers some more flexability with backups. I like to archive music in a lossless format like Flac and Monkey (I like them both have not chose my standard yet... any suggestions as to which) so I would use less media per MB. Maybe one with light scrib.

Thanks Pete and all would made suggestions.

Preston