What The Hell Is Going On

just went to windows tips and some pr---k displayed my ip address.with the text

your compt will close down in 10 seconds .it csame from post

dknoppix im not very happy bout that.if this is the sort of tips you get from this site well you cab keep the bloody thig smart b----s

wouldnt it be better if dknoppix gave helpful tips instead of this bu-----t

marty

yeah he's running a little script in his sig that grabs your IP and what browser your using. I've seen others on other boards with this. I think only you can see it but still I too dislike it. I'm not too worried about it personally but I think it is a little too much.

I don't think dknoppix means any harm by it and I'll PM him. So dknoppix if your reading this please check your PMs.

The sig is from here.

It's harmless. The image server just grabs your IP address and browser's user-agent string, looks up your ISP (or whoever owns the IP), slaps some text on it, and serves the image. You see it all over the place these days. It's popular for the same reason BLINK and popup windows and flash were/are popular. It impresses some people (mostly people who don't realize that all that information is available to everyone) and annoys some people and scares some people. Eventually you get used to seeing it.

d

your much of a man to change your sig because someone was uninformed.

kudos to you. when i first seen a sig like that at G4 there was a big stink over it.

mac thanks for ths link changing my sig to:

A word to the wise ain't necessary—it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

- Bill Cosby

M

hi i want to respond to the posts on this sig thing.one of the reasons i came from g4 was because i wanted to get away from all those smart asz school boys posting this b--t and i thought comming here it wouldnt happen.

ok i know dknoppix didnt mean any harm.but it scared the s----t out of me .

g4 is the place for these little tricks.

a message board i post to world start bans this sort of behaviour .

a poster said you get used to it .well i dont like it i didnt come here for some one who thinks little tricks.are the norm.how ever dknoppix does good work here and

so i intend to forget about it.

any one who says you get used to it must be a school boy.

and have no regard for older people .

good luck dknoppix

marty

Think about it this way, all I did was tell him my concerns and ask him nicely to change it. And he did and apologize publicly. Technically he didn't have to but he did to be civil. I know that it is very annoying and scary for uninformed people but he didn't have to change it.

Insulting jcl for saying

Eventually you get used to seeing it.

isn't nice either. Maybe you should go back to school and learn some tolerance and curtsy yourself. smart asz school boys aren't the only problem on the G4 boards, intolerable people are the other half.

so i intend to forget about it.

good luck dknoppix.

I'll be nice so ........ Ummm no comment

you post as tho i havent a right to protest.about the sigs .i dont b----well like it and i have a right to say so.

ive apoligise to the young man.and to me thats as far as it goes but if you want to start a slanging match go ahead .

i belong to other boards where this thing isnt allowed.i dont need 12 year olds to dictate where i post or not .i dont like it and if need i will shift to some other board.

marty

Insulting jcl for saying
Eventually you get used to seeing it.

isn't nice either. Maybe you should go back to school and learn some tolerance and curtsy yourself. smart asz school boys aren't the only problem on the G4 boards, intolerable people are the other half.

Heh, it's fine, I wouldn't even have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it and I'm not insulted. Catching a little shrapnel when someone touches off a barrage is another one of those things you get used to eventually :-)

Hey y'all, keep it civil now please.

Marty

While I'm not a big fan of that type of script either, I also know that it is completely harmless as it only grabs info that is already public knowledge, only YOU can see it, and it cannot be used aginst you in any sort of attack.

I have to thank dknoppix for his understanding and removal of that script so promptly...I know it does throw many folks who don't understand it, into a frenzy.

I recieved many requests from G4 members to remove those scripts, but since it wasn't a violation of any rules I couldn't. I know we lost Bill Melanson because of it but I couldn't make him understand that only HE could see it and it was nothing that could be used against him.

So just a reminder to all, the script is harmless, only the user can see it and it is not information that can be used against you.

Proof of Concept - My IP is 24.72.70.214 accesscomm.ca - I have no fear of posting this since anyone has access to this and it's not enough info for an attack.

Remember, if you have a question or concern about something, PLEASE PM an Admin or Mod with it instead of starting an Anger thread on the boards.

Happy Computing!

Dave

Hey y'all, keep it civil now please.

Marty

While I'm not a big fan of that type of script either, I also know that it is completely harmless as it only grabs info that is already public knowledge, only YOU can see it, and it cannot be used aginst you in any sort of attack.

I have to thank dknoppix for his understanding and removal of that script so promptly...I know it does throw many folks who don't understand it, into a frenzy.

I recieved many requests from G4 members to remove those scripts, but since it wasn't a violation of any rules I couldn't. I know we lost Bill Melanson because of it but I couldn't make him understand that only HE could see it and it was nothing that could be used against him.

So just a reminder to all, the script is harmless, only the user can see it and it is not information that can be used against you.

Proof of Concept - My IP is 24.72.70.214 accesscomm.ca - I have no fear of posting this since anyone has access to this and it's not enough info for an attack.

Remember, if you have a question or concern about something, PLEASE PM an Admin or Mod with it instead of starting an Anger thread on the boards.

Happy Computing!

Dave

him chappy yes it did throw me abit.in regards to bill malleinson.i had this ip thing when i first joined g4 and bill talked me into going to world start message board.

where it isnt allowed one poster tried it but got banned.im not angry with the young man concerned.but from posters who condone this sort of thing.my Q

why did he pick on me why didnt he pick on some one else.

ive been around these message boards for a long time now.and im here to give tips if i can or get answers if i can.i will copy and paste an article i read about this ip thing and see what you think

marty

Marty

I doubt he was picking on you if the script was in his siggy then anyone who ran their mouse over it would have seen the same thing about their IP address and browser.

It's like Chappy said nothing shown would be of any use to anybody,for anything.

I have seen that kind of thing on several boards,it's kind of dumb, but it's harmless.

tenmm

Marty

I doubt he was picking on you if the script was in his siggy then anyone who ran their mouse over it would have seen the same thing about their IP address and browser.

It's like Chappy said nothing shown would be of any use to anybody,for anything.

I have seen that kind of thing on several boards,it's kind of dumb, but it's harmless.

tenmm

Yes my ip address showed up to.

suwannee24 :D

Yep everyone sees only thier own IP and no one elses. the info never even leaves your computer. the way this paticular script works is that all the info is just called from your computer and displayed. Not retrieved.

what I hate about it is that it usually says "your computer will be hacked in 16 seconds or your computer will be shutdown in 20 seconds" or something like that. which is fualse of course but it's very annoying.

one of these days I'll get off my but and write a little something to block out those things.

Hi Everyone,

Just so you know you can set it to ignore sigs. In the Control Panel under Board Settings look for this...

Do you wish to view members signatures when reading topics?

Select No and you won't see anymore sigs from anyone.

B

Thanks for the tip, B.