Cant Setup Internet

i have a Linksys WMP11 wireless network card. how do i set it up to work with Ubuntu 5.04? Im guessing its something to do with ndiswrapper but i keep getting so confused. I just want to finally get the internet running on linux so i dont have to keep rebooting into :wacko: windows to ask questions like these and find files. :wacko:

i've been trying to setup ndiswrapper. i thought i finally had it when i was once again heart broken. i type ndiswrapper -l and it says the driver is present.....that made me happy. but heres the problem....it doesnt say the hardware is present!! what do i do.

p.s. it would be helpful if u guys just gave me solutions instead of just giving me links to places that you think will help because then those links have other links which have other linkls and then blah blah blah im confused again. thanks :D

i have a Linksys WMP11 wireless network card. how do i set it up to work with Ubuntu 5.04? Im guessing its something to do with ndiswrapper but i keep getting so confused. I just want to finally get the internet running on linux so i dont have to keep rebooting into  :wacko: windows to ask questions like these and find files. :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please list all steps taken to this point (software installed including any compiles, did you compile the NDISwraper kernel driver and so on)

next what version of the WMP11 there are 3 and each is diffrent.

and last post the output of the command

lspci

this must be done as root.

lspci

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

first off you know a hell of a lot more then me, but I felt the need to add this point.

you do not need root access to just get the output of lspci, root access is only needed to do some of the other things the command offers. any user can run it, but you have to specify the full path

/sbin/lspci

i have a Linksys WMP11 wireless network card. how do i set it up to work with Ubuntu 5.04? Im guessing its something to do with ndiswrapper but i keep getting so confused. I just want to finally get the internet running on linux so i dont have to keep rebooting into  :wacko: windows to ask questions like these and find files. :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please list all steps taken to this point (software installed including any compiles, did you compile the NDISwraper kernel driver and so on)

next what version of the WMP11 there are 3 and each is diffrent.

lspci

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have a wmp11 v2.7 if you need to know

im using the ndiswrapper off of the ubuntu install. i dont think i compiled the kernel and im not sure if i need to. how do you do it anyway? these are the things i've done so far.

1.install the package "ndiswrapper-utils" on synaptic

2.installed the driver from the linksys cd using "sudo ndiswrapper -i filename.inf"

3.installed the module using "sudo modprobe ndiswrapper"

4. then it says to go to administration->Networking to setup the device but nothing is there.

like i said, when i type "ndiswrapper -l" it says the driver is present but it doesnt say anything about hardware. what does "lspci" do?

This is quick while I install ubuntu and see how its kernel is setup and the locations of its start scripts..

in unix the ls command stands for list (LiSt)

so when you look at a directory you do a ls to list the what is in the folder.. like dir in dos. so since your wireless card uses a pci bus. so lspci list everything your kernel sees on the pci bus.

shanenin is correct, you can run most super user programs by including full path.. but I don't think like that so it does not occure to me.

in ubuntu I think sudo lspci will also work (need to test this)

if you get an error no lspci command or something like that then this

cat /proc/pci (I think.. chime in anyone as I have only SUN and windows Boxes at this job site)

ndiswraper is a pain to get working.. sorry to say as that helps not at all, but its really a manufature problem as Linux is caplable of working with wireless just not with out someone writing driver same as every other OS in the world.

as for your kernel.. ubuntu does a lot of strange things with its kernel but standard recompile..

go to command prompt (terminal, bash shell ..what ever..)

do the following

cd /usr/src/linux

is that folder there ?

if not you need to get the kernel-sources.. I belive (don't quote me on this) that

apt-get install kernel-sources

should work... but I use Gentoo not ubuntu..

if it is there then do the following

make menuconfig

you will get a menu of modules to build in your kernel along with all the tweaking you can do with your kernel (ie which processor, how many processors, how much ram you really have and so on)

when finished exit and save

then

make && make modules && make modules_install

/sbin/depmod -a

this is all you need if you are building modules as loadable modules..

if its a new kernel or you built in the modules you will need to copy the kernel and System.map over..

I need to see who ubuntu store these to give you more information on this point.

lspci

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

first off you know a hell of a lot more then me, but I felt the need to add this point.

you do not need root access to just get the output of lspci, root access is only needed to do some of the other things the command offers. any user can run it, but you have to specify the full path

/sbin/lspci

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you are correct on the second part.. I am not too sure I know any more than you do.. :)