Myth - "Windows XP requires a high end PC to install and run"

Reality - "Windows XP can be installed on surprisingly low system requirements contrary to popular opinion. With the average life cycle of a regular PC being roughly 4-6 years, just about any PC being used today can run Windows XP. The following requirements are Microsoft's "official" minimum system requirements which I have tested to work fine with the exception of only 64 MB of RAM (performance is poor). Increasing your RAM to 128 MB would be the only upgrade I would strongly consider as my absolute minimum Windows XP system requirements." - Source

Total BS, my father runs XP on 800mhz, 128mb ram, i defrag, virus. spyware clean it all the time. It runs slower than molasus in alaska. it needs 256mb minimum, its not worth running it at 128mb let alone 64mb, u cannot multi task at all. It takes 1-2 mins to open up firefox to AIM, its redicoulous. Then programs constantly freeze due to lack of memory.

Sure it can run... but your better off sticking with Win98

Personally I have an old Gateway laptop and it has a 10 gig hdd split with 98 SE and XP PRO. It works great on only 160 MB's of ram. It has a Celeron 400 Mhz CPU. I have played DVD's on it on the 98 side because the DVD player it has doesn't have XP drivers. But it works fine other wise. I even play party poker on it all the time. No problems placing my fake bets. So I agree that if the pc is properly maintained, that XP doesn't have to be a drag.

My Gateway PC came originally with a PIII and 128 MB of RAM. After making the change from ME to XP and installing McAfee, it took about ten minutes to boot up. Not I've still got the same 833MHZ CPU but 3 x 128 RAM (384 MB) and it runs decently so I can't see how someone could do it with 64MB of RAM