Hi Harddrive,

I didn't know what Duron meant (I'm a big noob) so I googled it and found this nifty article, with a chart on the second page. Nope, don't know what the chart means, either, but I'll betcha you do!! (this site did set my cookie blocker thing off)

from Tom's Hardware

I just do really basic things on the computer (gaming means spider solitare!) and it sounds like what you have in mind would suit her well. But wait for other opinions!!!! :thumbsup:

Liz

The big problem with a $200 price is that even an OEM copy of windows will cost about $100. Sure you could go with linux (Linspire for example) but is grandma ready for it?

You could go with a used computer, do you have any recyclers or resellers in your area?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_...duct_id=0184679

Is an example of a $249 system running linspire ( a linux flavor where you basically have to buy your software from them but it is "fairly" windows like)

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_...oduct_id=187849

is a machine running windows for $100more.

liz+spider solitare=extreme gamer

lol

just had to liz.

M

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D:D:D Yep, that's as extreme as I get!!!! ...and Minesweeper, but only at the intermediate level :D

Harddrive, you got a computer already? What did you find? And by the way, you sure are a terrific Grandson for helping her!!

Liz

Im a good boy and she is giving me $200 to build it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You failed to mention what all has to come with this computer...

Monitor?

Do you have an extra keyboard/mouse lying around or do uoi need that as well?

dialup Modem? is she going to be using dialup or cable/dsl?

sound? do you have a extra set of speakers or does this not matter?

When asking for information on a $200-250 computer you need to specify exactly what you need in order to get the best help. I may be able to get a decent system priced out for Granny if most or all of the items above are not needed

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In otherwords, she is willing to pay $450 and you are going to put together a $250 system, install a copy of win98, an older OS (and is it already installed on a computer? Remember, one copy one computer you cannot legally install it on another unless you wipe the first). Then you will pocket the other $200.

Note that to work you will need a full version ,not an upgrade, and most likely not an OEM (Like HP ) version which will look for a blessing (entry in the bios or chipset on the motherboard to verify that it is made by the manufacturer who bought the OEM license).

You either need a generic OEM version (from a parts seller) or a full install version from microsoft along with the appropriate product key.

I would suggest you not rip off your grandmother and instead tell her what a good deal she can get on a Dell . She will be much happier, you will not wind up being the dark sheep of the family when they find out you ripped her off; and you will not wind up wasting many times what you rip her off for repairing it when it breaks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In otherwords, she is willing to pay $450 and you are going to put together a $250 system, install a copy of win98, an older OS (and is it already installed on a computer? Remember, one copy one computer you cannot legally install it on another unless you wipe the first). Then you will pocket the other $200.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If that is the case, BAD GRADSON!!!!

Get her the Dell, a kiss on the cheek, and promise to help her with future issues...

Shame, shame, son!!

She has a monitor, mouse and keyboard the system I spec out has a Duron 1.8, 256MB ram a msi motherboard with on board video, and a 40 GB hard drive I also found an unopen boxed edition of windows 2000 in my room.

Total=$233.75

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A BRAND NEW Dell, with a 2.4 celeron (which is way more powerful then that old Duron) with 256 MB ram, an 80g hdd, cdr/w keyboard mouse and speakers AND a full legal version of XP Home for $279.

Which would you spend YOUR money on?

A BRAND NEW Dell, with a 2.4 celeron (which is way more powerful then that old Duron)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope you mean Celeron D. A 2.4 GHz non-D Celeron is by no means more powerful than a 1.8 GHz Duron. In fact, you can watch as a 1.6 GHz Duron walks all over a 2.6 GHz Celeron in business and other benchmarks.

I'll agree with you on the rest, but I think you significantly underestimate the Duron. It may not be fancy, but it has a fair amount of kick in it.

Again, I still agree with the overall conclusion: buy a Dell.

She has a monitor, mouse and keyboard the system I spec out has a Duron 1.8, 256MB ram a msi motherboard with on board video, and a 40 GB hard drive I also found an unopen boxed edition of windows 2000 in my room.

Total=$233.75

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A BRAND NEW Dell, with a 2.4 celeron (which is way more powerful then that old Duron) with 256 MB ram, an 80g hdd, cdr/w keyboard mouse and speakers AND a full legal version of XP Home for $279.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could I get a link to that?

Total=$233.75

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could I get a link to that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dell.com

OK, OK.

This is actually $299, but includes a CRT. The same basic unit can cost various different prices depending on which "store" at Dell you buy from (Home, Small Business, etc.).