ok.... Does anybody know of a program that will allow me to connect my linux machine to my existing WinXP box?

So the WinXP box can allow the internet to my Fedora box?

A program like WinGate?

:thumbsup:

Wow.... well that was easy..... easier than I have expected.

I have just installed Linux Fedora.... it seems great... now I just need to connect it to the internet.... :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you have your fedora box connected to a router or a switch or hub?

I have XP connected to a LAN wirelessly. I then want to try to connect my Fedora to my XP for internet and etc.....

At the moment I have it connected to a spare LAN port so I'm on the net via my router....

But this cant be long term...... is there such a program?

Thanks for all your help :)

I am not sure if I am totlally following you. Do you plan on connecting your windows xp box with your linux bow directly using a crossover cable? If the is the case you can just run windowx xp as a dhcp server to your linux box. You do not need any software to do that.

I have XP connected to a LAN wirelessly. I then want to try to connect my Fedora to my XP for internet and etc.....

At the moment I have it connected to a spare LAN port so I'm on the net via my router....

But this cant be long term...... is there such a program?

Thanks for all your help :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

look up windows connection sharing.. its how to usewindows as a internet gateway, Is there a reason you can not have the linux box connected to the lan?

in anycase ICS will server as a DHCP server that will point to its self as a router. on the Linux box no config is needed. as it will get an address through DHCP which will tell it how to connect to the internet. also the Linux box will need a direct connection to the windows box or.. be connected to a switch connected to a seperate network card on the windows box. while possable with one card.. if your windows box its self is using DHCP from your router then the Linux box will still pick up your routers info..

and in the long run it would be much better to have the Linux box share its internet to windows. as it can act like a firewall..

Edited by iccaros