So Now What...

I've got linux setup so i can do anything windows can. Now what is all the fun learning stuff i can do? Do i just fool around or what? Anyone got some guides, or tuts i should know about?

Im ready to learn, i got my music going, my IM ready to take out my frustration on, and some cookies!

Look right under my avatar :)

Ubuntu, and i have a starters guide... and i could use google. But google is not nearly as good as personal opinion.

like if i search for a tech forum on google, i would have to go through pages and pages just to find this awsome site :)

like if i search for a tech forum on google, i would have to go through pages and pages just to find this awsome site :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point! :lol:

Anyway, you have probably saw this already, but it definately looks good:

http://ubuntuguide.org/

If I were you, I would just mess around with it for a few days / weeks, then start reading articles / tutorials about it.... Reading tutorials can get pretty boring and take the fun out of it, therefore you should fool around with it and have fun first ;)

Brett

Most important thing to do is become as comfortable with a terminal as possible. Learn to use man pages and other docs that are already on your system. Again a terminal is your best friend, many problems can be fixed within X, all (or at least close to it) can be just as easily fixed with a shell.

Just play around, you will learn alot.

I've got linux setup so i can do anything windows can.  Now what is all the fun learning stuff i can do?  Do i just fool around or what?  Anyone got some guides, or tuts i should know about?

Im ready to learn, i got my music going, my IM ready to take out my frustration on, and some cookies!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Congratulations on becoming a Linux user, fubz! :D Very cool.

Check out My Linux Stuff web page in my signature. There are command line tutorials and lots of other links that will get you started in your great adventure! :thumbsup:

Well i dont even know what to do... i get lost >_<  and im afraid to break it beyond repair.  Im good at that....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The command line tutorial is designed with a newcomer in mind. You won't break anything. Try out the Command Line Tutorial near the bottom of my page. It will lead you through it. Also, there are lots of links out there that you can read. Have fun!

Well i dont even know what to do... i get lost >_<  and im afraid to break it beyond repair.  Im good at that....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take pride in breaking my systems on a regular basis. That is how you learn. You can always reinstall.

As to learing. I find it is best to start a project that is a little past your skill level. Then you are forced to learn if you want it to succeed.

To back up what naraku9333 said, get used to using bash(the command line). Start copying files, looking around using the ls and cd command. Do everything thing possible using the command line, you will find it fun after a while.

My main advice: just enjoy the ride(that goes for linux and life in general)

Edited by shanenin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take pride in breaking my systems on a regular basis. That is how you learn. You can always reinstall.

As to learing. I find it is best to start a project that is a little past your skill level. Then you are forced to learn if you want it to succeed.

To back up what naraku9333 said, get used to using bash(the command line). Start copying files, looking around using the ls and cd command. Do everything thing possible using the command line, you will find it fun after a while.

My main advice: just enjoy the ride(that goes for linux and life in general)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take pride too... but installing is a pain the butt. I can only do it soo many times a year.

What kind of project?

bash... ok... better read i guess.

Oh i will enjoy it. Im already enjoying it and all i have done is surf the net, listened to music, and used IM

Dont be affraid to break your system, im always trying to find new ways to bork my system up. The biggest mistakes ive made when I first got into 'nix was reinstallng at the drop of a hat. Looking back, im sure all of those situations could have been corrected easily.