I have seen a number of post of people wanting to build there own PC but don't know where to start so here is or shance to show off our shopping skills.

in these areas:

Basic Desktop (budget: machine internet/ email checker some multimedia functionality lite office work/ homework machine)

Workstation (mid-level/ super spreadsheet machine/ compiling, data cruntching light to mid graphic editing)

Gaming (mid to highend/ high FPS, Bling {just one bling}, graphics editing/ video)

Multi-Media Monster (high end. Can do almost anything)

Goal is to build on paper inxpensively but not cheap. I must admit this is as much for me as it is for other. I have not done this when I build I am surrounded but small computer stores and many are run by friends so I dicuss and buy local. But I always feel like I may have been sold short. Someone if you could help me with setting the Price ranges because I would I think it would be more fun to have a budget.

This could have a potential to be a on going thing since sales closeouts new products constantly change come out frequently. Feel free to help me define the parameters of this build off.

it would be great for those who want to build their own to come here for a shopping list. in there price range.

Preston

If it is a stupid idea just send me a cyber slap.

I wouldn't slap a girl... :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what!?!

OK maybe it was not a cool Idea but I think a plase here to help people choose compatible parts would be a great thing.

Preston

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what!?!

OK maybe it was not a cool Idea but I think a plase here to help people choose compatible parts would be a great thing.

Preston

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A Joke...notice the :blink: .... I've run accross a few threads already with specs for gaming machines etc...as time goes on, maybe we could consolidate those and pin them under the headding "suugested" builds

Just funnin with ya....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what!?!

Preston

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A Joke...notice the :blink: .... I've run accross a few threads already with specs for gaming machines etc...as time goes on, maybe we could consolidate those and pin them under the headding "suugested" builds

Just funnin with ya....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Figured that but it just shot wide of my head :lol:

I have seen a number of post of people wanting to build there own PC but don't know where to start so here is or shance to show off our shopping skills.

in these areas:

Basic Desktop (budget: machine internet/ email checker some multimedia functionality lite office work/ homework machine)

Workstation (mid-level/ super spreadsheet machine/ compiling, data cruntching light to mid graphic editing)

Gaming (mid to highend/ high FPS, Bling {just one bling}, graphics editing/ video)

Goal is to build on paper inxpensively but not cheap. I must admit this is as much for me as it is for other. I have not done this when I build I am surrounded but small computer stores and many are run by friends so I dicuss and buy local. But I always feel like I may have been sold short. SomeoneĀ  if you could help me with setting the Price ranges because I would I think it would be moreĀ  fun to have a budget.

This could have a potential to be a on going thing since sales closeouts new products constantly change come out frequently. Feel free to help me define the parameters of this build off.

it would be great for those who want to build their own to come here for a shopping list. in there price range.

Preston

If it is a stupid idea just send me a cyber slap.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you get specific, you are obsolete in your advice by the time it gets implemented.

So instead, I prefer generic advice.

You can save money here with integrated components if you do not plan to upgrade. Onboard video, a relatively low cost motherboard, and low end processor (celeron, sempron, duron or even Via ) and only a minimal amount of RAM. An older and lower price processor is a definite option.

Here quality parts are an important consideration. You want a motherboard which can take the stress of being on and being tasked all day. A premium processor is probably in order since you mention crunching and graphic editing, and since on a work station you probably are time conscious. Big display is also probably a factor, so you may need to consider a video card which can handle higher resolutions. No need to be the latest and greatest, look for the sweet spot in premium quality products.

Here bling is considered a necessity. Make sure whatever components you choose, you start with a motherboard which will allow upgrades. What you buy now will be obsolete soon, and it is better to plan ahead and figure on getting a new processor when prices drop, and the same with the video card . You probably want a little beyond the sweet spot pricewise, and depending on funds, may want some of "the latest and greatest".

Pretty much the same, but in this case, you probably will not want to be upgrading unnecessarily. So you spend more initially and hope to make it last long enough to justify replacement.