Edit/re-encode *.dvr-ms Files

I have a Windows Media Center computer and have been recording television shows with it. The files are saved as massive *.dvr-ms files (3 GB+ for a 1 hour show at best quality). I was wondering if anyone knew of a program that could re-encode them to .avi or .mpeg so I can edit the commercials out and shrink them to a more reasonable size.

Windows Movie Maker doesn't recognize the file type and M$ even says itself that these files are not editable. M$

I tried using Roxio Media Creator 7.5, that is installed on another computer, it recognizes the files but promptly crashes when I try to open it. I've been told that Adobe Premiere Elements will do it but I don't want to lay down a c-note for software unless I'm sure it's going to work. (I'm looking for something free, preferably)

There is a Sonic plugin in Media center that allows me to burn the shows directly to DVD but without editing out the commercials or shrinking the files. I suppose I could then rip the DVD's back to the HD and edit them but that seems like a round about way of doing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....