Political Correctness

After reading a post here it reminded me of a searing PM I got on another board saying that the use of "master" and "slave" drives was not acceptable. They informed me that IDE 0 and IDE1 and etc was the proper way to describe such issues. I guess my point is are we so frickin' sensitive anymore that I cannot even say anything without pissing somebody off? Not a big deal but it seems to me I have lost the ability to communicate because my use of the language seems to piss someone off......Hahahahahaha....

Edited by il_wiccan

Agreed!!! I grew up in an age when "gay" meant happy, "queer" meant odd and still miffed when the Oompa Loompa's heritage was changed from the book in the original Willie Wonka movie!

I try to be a kind person and hate accidently hurting other's feelings, so I make an attempt to learn these things, but it's hard when "terms" are changing so rapidly!

It's the Soccermom's fault, I tell ya!

*jcl, read that article....good grief!

Liz

Ooooh, well this is from memory because I lent out the book, but the Oompa Loompas were an African Pygmie tribe that was kidnapped by an evil person in Africa who mistreated them very badly. Willie somehow found them and got them away from the evil person and put them to work in his factory and took proper care of them and they proved to be expert chocolate makers and loved Willie dearly. Oh, they wore loincloths, too. And they did sing all the time, at least that stayed in the movie

Now they're "orange people with strange hair". The ones I saw in commercials for the new movie move so fast I can't figure out what they are...

Oh, oh, it's stuck in my head, "Oompa Loompa, do-ba-dee-do..." :)

Liz

il_wiccan if you're like me, you're too old and onery to worry about this political correctness..that's the problem with the world today...chicken poop is chicken poop any way you look at it. master-slave in no way refers to discrimination except in computer language.. my wife told me to refer to my "hard drive" as a "storage disk". hahahaha

BY THE WAY: in the future you will refer to me as "the long furry outer coating of a large black forest carivore" :P

Edited by bearskin
il_wiccan if you're like me, you're too old and onery to worry about this political correctness..that's the problem with the world today...chicken poop is chicken poop any way you look at it.  master-slave in no way refers to discrimination except in computer language.. my wife told me to refer to my "hard drive" as a "storage disk".  hahahaha

BY THE WAY:  in the future you will refer to me as "the long furry outer coating of a large black forest carivore" :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok Ursus americanus....Or is that wrong to?...Maybe the wrong kind of bear eh?.....Hahahahahahaha

Agreed. Being PC has morphed into pure silliness. Letter carrier, chair-person, fire fighter.

Sometimes at work I'll let my true colours through and refer to someone as a lady.....oh boy.....the steely looks I get:-)

I'm too old fashioned I guess.

I try not to offend people, but, I'm not always successful.

il_wiccan if you're like me, you're too old and onery to worry about this political correctness..that's the problem with the world today...chicken poop is chicken poop any way you look at it.  master-slave in no way refers to discrimination except in computer language.. my wife told me to refer to my "hard drive" as a "storage disk".  hahahaha

BY THE WAY:  in the future you will refer to me as "the long furry outer coating of a large black forest carivore" :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my uncle Bob?

anyways i go through this all the time. almost everything i know is either self taught or came from friends and family. so a ton of what i call something isn't its official name. but most members here already know this about me. i hate it when i try to explain something and i have to literally draw a picture or people get all mad at me for it. and it takes so much extra work.

Uhggggggggggggg

All I will say isif you do not like what I say or how I say it,Leave,I will not change.

Fireman,Policeman,Garbage man every Mexican I know(of which there are several)prefers it,they are not ashamed of their ancestor's or heritage.

My blood line is a mix of Indian and Scandinavian with some Irish thrown in for luck.

I feel if you are of "other" nationalities or skin pigment and are ashamed or embarrassed by it and wish too be adderssed by another term that is your call.

I will call it as I see it.

(After reading this I guess it should have went in the rant thread...) :blush:

I hate dealing with all the pc :wacko: crowd telling me that I am some awful mean-spirited (oh how I HATE that term!!!), person if I don't know, or I forget, to treat someone with kid gloves because of their being such (PC listed) VICTIMS (past, present, and future and never expected to get over it or to get on with life because they are VICTIMS) of our society. :angry::angry2:

EDIT: I need to clarify this to explain what I meant about equating PC language issues to Victim status. I believe that by saying this group or that has to be treated oh so carefully that we push/allow them to become Victims, instead of equals. (Though pretty soon everyone will be in some such special victim class due to the speed new ones are added.) I think it is extremely disrespectful and demeaning to treat people as victims instead of respected equals to everyone. How can it be otherwise, when society labels them victims implying inferior status by saying because so and so happened or because of something generations back that they have to have specialized help to make it in society? To me that is so disrespectful of not only groups of people from different culture but to individuals within that culture. It is degrading and demeaning to set people apart saying look here folks because of this and that they now have to be treated differently and considered different and given special help implying not good enough to make it without that special help or treatment. I do NOT believe this is respecting them individually or as groups. So I say let's forget the whole PC/Victim-hood nonsense and treat everyone equally and with respect. By doing that, and then encouraging everyone to excel at life, then we will doing what is right rather than what is PC. END EDIT.

I try to treat others with dignity and respect, and expect the same back, along with expecting people to not get bent out of shape if I accidentally say the wrong word, or don't fully explain myself. If there is a problem then I will apologize, but not grovel and crawl and bad mouth myself to them or myself for being human in a pc world.

I probably fit a few categories of victim status, since I am a 61 year old, white, female, Christian, and for my various and sundry religious and political views. But only one that really fits a victim category in my mind (but I chose to rename it) is that I am a survivor of childhood and early adult abuse, not a victim anymore because I am a survivor and I refuse to be a pathetic wimpy whiny poor me pity party victim!!!

OOOPS!!!! Getting to the rant stage, so will stop now before I say to much. :unsure::rolleyes:

I am sorry if I have alienated or hurt anyone with this post. It was meant to explain how I feel about a subject and is my solidly well thought out long held opinion of this issue, and it is not meant to hurt anyone personally.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat

its apity people dont worry about other cultures

feelings .

this thread is all about

americainisms

freedom of speach

irrispective of other peoples cultures

freedom of speach

is so you can hurt every one else

.and scream when its your turn

im a believer of PC

providing it dosent hurt others

to me it is a never ending circle

it just goes round a and round

tho i agree some take it to far

marty

Marty, I don't think it is about only North American Culture, I'm guessing that it just happens to be that North Americans responded up until you posted. :thumbsup:

You bring up an excellent point, though. What may be politically correct in one culture is not politically correct in another culture. That is what makes this such a dilemma, especially a place like the Web where cultures all around the world are communicating!!! Like you said, "round and round"!!

Liz

I hope by replying again that I can clarify what I meant earlier.

I edited my previous post to elaborate on what I meant.

To save everyone from looking for it, I will quote it here.

EDIT: I need to clarify this to explain what I meant about equating PC language issues to Victim status. I believe that by saying this group or that has to be treated oh so carefully that we push/allow them to become Victims, instead of equals. (Though pretty soon everyone will be in some such special victim class due to the speed new ones are added.) I think it is extremely disrespectful and demeaning to treat people as victims instead of respected equals to everyone. How can it be otherwise, when society labels them victims implying inferior status by saying because so and so happened or because of something generations back that they have to have specialized help to make it in society? To me that is so disrespectful of not only groups of people from different culture but to individuals within that culture. It is degrading and demeaning to set people apart saying look here folks because of this and that they now have to be treated differently and considered different and given special help implying not good enough to make it without that special help or treatment. I do NOT believe this is respecting them individually or as groups. So I say let's forget the whole PC/Victim-hood nonsense and treat everyone equally and with respect. By doing that, and then encouraging everyone to excel at life, then we will doing what is right rather than what is PC. END EDIT.

Now to what Marty said,

I too think that people's feelings count and should be considered. That is a part of respect. But it is a two way equal street. I think that is the part that the PC PTB have forgotten.

How can we "celebrate diversity" and our specialness as individuals and as different cultures, if it means demeaning any part of the society to do it?

How can we celebrate strengths, and skills, and everything else about people if we knock them down as victims; ie damaged goods?

How can we learn about others if they are forced into the belief that we are the enemy because of their being taught to hate for whatever reason who we or someone else is?

How can we love each other as brothers and sisters of the human race, when there is such fear of being taken advantage of, and of "rights" being abused or taken away etc?

How can we come together as a people, as cultures, as nations, as individuals, if we are pushed away and separated from each other by all that this PC stuff has brought about in society?

How come we even have to have such conversations about special PC language issues that have nothing to do with the issues of getting along with each other as equals? By highlighting names of inanimate objects, or changing long standing names so as not to offend, we end up offending by doing that very thing, because then it turns it all into a nasty joke instead of addressing the real issues. Names are not the problem (unless turned into PC jokes), respect or lack thereof is.

I hope I have not upset people, or hurt any feelings by these posts. If so I am sorry. What I would like is to have people consider what a wonderful world we could make if we just treated each other as we would want to be treated, including with love, mercy, grace, forgiveness, and all else that is good. The Golden Rule idea would work. Then we wouldn't have to worry about being Politically Correct. We would be to busy enjoying life on this planet with our brothers and sisters all around the world.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat

I think WAY too many people are over sensitive.... I have never once been deeply hurt by someones comments like "master and slave"

I just don't take things like that to heart. I know most likely the person who said it wasn't trying to hurt anyone.

I think people shouldn't get so down about it.... Laughter is the key to a good life.

That reminds me, has anyone seen the show "mind of mencia"???

Cheer up everyone!

Brett

After reading a post here it reminded me of a searing PM I got on another board saying that the use of "master" and "slave" drives was not acceptable. They informed me that IDE 0 and IDE1 and etc was the proper way to describe such issues. I guess my point is are we so frickin' sensitive anymore that I cannot even say anything without pissing somebody off? Not a big deal but it seems to me I have lost the ability to communicate because my use of the language seems to piss someone off......Hahahahahaha....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry Il, your post has me so riled over the fact that you're so PC about being Non PC that i'm just going to have to go MAC (Mad As Crap) over it...oh wait, then I might p-off someone else.....

Oh well as the shirt says

tn_PICT3329_JPG.jpg

Sorry if that offends anyone...really.... :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I describe all the PC in two words BULL S--T!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry Il, your post has me so riled over the fact that you're so PC about being Non PC that i'm just going to have to go MAC (Mad As Crap) over it...oh wait, then I might p-off someone else.....

Oh well as the shirt says

tn_PICT3329_JPG.jpg

Sorry if that offends anyone...really.... :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hahaha.......I need 1 of them shirts for every day of the week. :thumbsup: