"missing Ntldr" ...help Please

ok so i have thgis old computer that uses Win 98 , now this thing pretty much pooped the bed, and i want to reformat, but when i try to get to windows, i get "boot: missing NTLDR press any key to continue" but when i hit anykey nothing happens, now my goal here is to format windows and reinstall and start over pretty much. but i cant do it. i can get to a command prompt tho...and the bad thing...i dont have the start up disk...which i know is bad. i will just buy another one. no big deal. but i was wondering if someone could help me. and ive been to all the bootdisk sites and nothing seems to help. anyideas guys? thank you

~Grundle

Edited by GrundleLove
ok so i have thgis old computer that uses Win 98 , now this thing pretty much shit the bed, and i want to reformat, but when i try to get to windows, i get "boot: missing NTLDR press any key to continue" but when i hit anykey nothing happens, now my goal here is to format windows and reinstall and start over pretty much. but i cant do it. i can get to a command prompt tho...and the bad thing...i dont have the start up disk...which i know is bad. i will just buy another one. no big deal. but i was wondering if someone could help me. and ive been to all the bootdisk sites and nothing seems to help. anyideas guys? thank you

~Grundle

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Watch your language, it's not tolerated on this board. You're not at AOTS with all the other airheads.

use killdisk to wipe the data from the drive then goto bootdisk.com for a 98 floppy boot disk and go from there. you will need the 98 cd of course.

you can get killdisk at bootdisk.com.

M

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh and by the way...i have the start up disk on a floppy...but i dont know what to do, i can format?

ive been to bootdisk.com...and im not sure what to do...i mean there are so many files to choose from i dont know waht to get,and killdisk isent there, isearchhed and couldent find it. and when i donwload it just starts the program..so i dont know what to do.

Edited by GrundleLove
I use this WinME bootdisk from Radifed. Just format a floppy then install this to it (self-extracting).

http://radified.com/Files/bootmec.exe

I thought I pm'd this to you?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i did what u said...and nothing happend, it just told me to remove disk and hit any key to continue, i did and it said missing NTLDR

Edited by GrundleLove
I use this WinME bootdisk from Radifed. Just format a floppy then install this to it (self-extracting).

http://radified.com/Files/bootmec.exe

I thought I pm'd this to you?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok but what exactually does this do...u dident really tell me..deos it format it? or make it so i can run windows? what does it do?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a boot disk. You can fdisk and format with it. It's the same as a Win98 boot disk but more updated.

You don't boot into Windows to format. You ned to go into the bios and set the floppy drive to first boot device then press F10 to exit and save. Have the WinME boot disk in the floppy drive so when to PC boots out of the Bios the boot disk will start and bring up the A:/> prompt. After the prompt you will type format C: and hit <Enter>.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

Killdisk as mentioned is a great way to format

Just click Here) (Killdisk

And select "Bootable Floppy Disk Creator for Active@ KillDisk"

Or just click this link

Bootable Floppy Disk Creator for Active@ KillDisk

1. Prepare and insert bootable floppy disk.

2.Prepare and insert bootable floppy disk.

Click here to start download. This link downloads zip archive file with the Free version of KillDisk.

Follow the directions it is easy to use

cant i just format through commands...like if i have a "C:\" prompt cant i just type "format C:"....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't boot into Windows to format. You need to go into the bios and set the floppy drive to first boot device then press F10 to exit and save. Have the WinME boot disk in the floppy drive so when the PC boots out of the Bios the boot disk will start and bring up the A:/> prompt. After the prompt you will type format C: and hit <Enter>.

arrghh... this is all really confusing. ok let me go throught this entire thing step by step. ok i have this floppy, its win98 startup disk. no i but it in and i turn on the PC. i get a message that says missing NTLDR insert another disk and restart ...so i just shutdown do it again. then it will give me a prompt. with 3 options.

1. run windows with CD-rom support

2. run windows with out Cd-rom support.

3. more help, or something like that.

so i choose run windows with out help. then it does some scroll stuff and then it says preparing to boot windwod please wait this may take a few minutes blah blah, then it just takes me to A:\ so i decide to go to the DIR and see whats there , scandisk, ect everything thats on a startup disk. but here is where im stuck. i have nothing to do from here ...even if i format, i still dont have a OS to install because i cant freakin find my windows 98 install disk!! so im pretty much screwed, even if i do format, i have just a empty computer with nothing to do, so i guess my real goal is to just get to windows and mabye use this thing! but i cant because of this missing NTLDR...my solution was to say forget this format, then reinstall, but i cant find the OS install disk...which sucks, so impretty much screwed, and my laptop is in the same situation. this blows.

you're gonna have to get a windows install cd....nothing less...

and windows 98 doesn't have ntldr unless you have tried to upgrade to win2000 or xp.

windows uses the fat32 not the nt.

Edited by bearskin
arrghh... this is all really confusing. ok let me go throught this entire thing step by step. ok i have this floppy, its win98 startup disk. no i but it in and i turn on the PC. i get a message that says missing NTLDR insert another disk and restart ...so i just shutdown do it again. then it will give me a prompt. with 3 options.

so i choose run windows with out help. then it does some scroll stuff and then it says preparing to boot windwod please wait this may take a few minutes blah blah, then it just takes me to A:\    so i decide to go to the DIR and see whats there , scandisk, ect everything thats on a startup disk. but here is where im stuck. i have nothing to do from here ...even if i format, i still dont have a OS to install because i cant freakin find my windows 98 install disk!! so im pretty much screwed, even if i do format, i have just a empty computer with nothing to do, so i guess my real goal is to just get to windows and mabye use this thing! but i cant because of this missing NTLDR...my solution was to say forget this format, then reinstall, but i cant find the OS install disk...which sucks, so impretty much screwed, and my laptop is in the same situation. this blows.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GrundleLove

If you would just scroll up to the link i posted and follow those simple directions download that file make a floppy with it.. it will turn a blank floppy into a bootable killdisk that will format your drive for you.

simple.

1.format a floppy or install a blank into the drive

2.click on the link posted above

3.download to desktop and click on the desktop icon

4.turn off computer make sure you set floppy as first boot in bios upon reboot if it is not already

first boot =floppy

2nd=CD ROM

3rd= hard drive

5. start computer with the new killdisk floppy in the drive and follow the instructions.

6.Remove floppy after you are finished/insert 98cd and reboot

Very simple procedure heck you would be done by now if you would of started when i first posted

Edited by Schusterjo

so i choose run windows with out help. then it does some scroll stuff and then it says preparing to boot windwod please wait this may take a few minutes blah blah, then it just takes me to A:\    so i decide to go to the DIR and see whats there , scandisk, ect everything thats on a startup disk. but here is where im stuck. i have nothing to do from here ...even if i format, i still dont have a OS to install because i cant freakin find my windows 98 install disk!! so im pretty much screwed, even if i do format, i have just a empty computer with nothing to do, so i guess my real goal is to just get to windows and mabye use this thing! but i cant because of this missing NTLDR...my solution was to say forget this format, then reinstall, but i cant find the OS install disk...which sucks, so impretty much screwed, and my laptop is in the same situation. this blows.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GrundleLove

If you would just scroll up to the link i posted and follow those simple directions download that file make a floppy with it.. it will turn a blank floppy into a bootable killdisk that will format your drive for you.

simple.

1.format a floppy or install a blank into the drive

2.click on the link posted above

3.download to desktop and click on the desktop icon

4.turn off computer make sure you set floppy as first boot in bios upon reboot if it is not already

first boot =floppy

2nd=CD ROM

3rd= hard drive

5. start computer with the new killdisk floppy in the drive and follow the instructions.

6.Remove floppy after you are finished/insert 98cd and reboot

Very simple procedure heck you would be done by now if you would of started when i first posted

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i would be if i had the 98 cd....which i dont, or else i would of done what u said bc you are right, it was really easy, thanks tho i iknow what im gonan go anyway...bet 2 new hd's and a new mother board.