Anyone In Usa Ready To Vote?

Phew, finally getting back to this thread!!

DarkestDream, thank you for the explanation! I think I will just tell people who don't look at me when they're talking that "I don't hear so well", so the Deaf Community will not be offended! It's usually strangers who turn their heads when they speak to me and you never know if they're related or friends with a Deaf person....although, if they were, they would look folks in the face automatically when they're speaking, wouldn't they?!?!! Still, the Deaf Culture has the most beautiful, expressive, easy to understand (except spelling!) language in the entire world and I sure wouldn't want to offend the culture! I make a point of not wanting to offend anyone!

I say this all the time and I'll say it again, "I joined BT for the tech knowledge, but I learn so much more than just tech here"

heh,heh, HardDrives, I never really looked closely at your avatar....that's great!!! And make sure you do vote!!!

OK, a connection topic to the leaf bag "tax increase"!! The neighboring town wanted to buy a brand new 100 foot ladder Firetruck and a new garage to put it in, because the old garage would be too small. NOW, the town's building ordinance limits building height to 35 feet and there are nearby communities who have large trucks that will respond to fires if needed (they're in some kind of alliance, Chappy would know the proper word!)

Got soundly voted down.

Two weeks later (two weeks!!) the Fire Department leased a brand new 100 ft. Firetruck and is building a garage to put it in, the garage was funded from a Federal Grant of some sort.

Uh, didn't the voters turn it down??????? Why did they even go to the voters if they were applying for grants for the building anyways??? And somehow, because the Firetruck was leased instead of purchased, the Fire Dept was able to get it without voters approval.

(*I know Chappy is a firefighter, and no offense, but this is a tiny town (volunteer firemen) that is trying to be "suburban" and because of the building ordinances and the alliance with the neighboring towns that have these big trucks, it really wasn't necessary in todays economy!*)

And to you new voters!! Don't let this story keep you from voting! Make sure you vote anyways, whether it counts or not. That's the only way we're going to get the concepts our Founding Fathers founded back into this country!

Liz

*thanks Jen! Didn't pay attention and hit that shift key a couple times :thumbsup:

Edited by blim

Hey Darkest Dream - nice to meet you!

I am fluent in Sign Language...

it is amazing how much people do not understand Deaf culture...(notice Deaf with the capital D everyone!)....

I learned the hard way, but over time have made MANY Deaf friends and love to go hang out places, etc.

Where do you live?

Kalamazoo has a no burn policy, but they pick up the leaves for free, dump them to compost, and then let the residents carry it off for their gardens. What's left over gets added to the Community gardens that is planted for needy families by volunteers.

A mulching mower is a great idea. It will make your lawn healthier.

Our tax paying voters just knocked down a new county jail. It's the second time and they managed to pare off 90mil this last time. I guess $100 a year (on a 100k house) to keep crooks from early release is too much for the soccermoms.

But then, our little town wanted a 20mil additon to the HS only 10 years old. It was soundly turned down...

Phew, finally getting back to this thread!!

DarkestDream, thank you for the explanation!  I think I will just tell people who don't look at me when they're talking that "I don't hear so well", so the Deaf Community will not be offended!  It's usually strangers who turn their heads when they speak to me and you never know if they're related or friends with a Deaf person....although, if they were, they would look folks in the face automatically when they're speaking, wouldn't they?!?!!  Still, the Deaf Culture has the most beautiful, expressive, easy to understand (except spelling!) language in the entire world and I sure wouldn't want to offend the culture!  I make a point of not wanting to offend anyone!

I say this all the time and I'll say it again, "I joined BT for the tech knowledge, but I learn so much more than just tech here"

heh,heh, HardDrives, I never really looked closely at your avatar....that's great!!!  And make sure you do vote!!!

OK, a connection topic to the leaf bag "tax increase"!!  The neighboring town wanted to buy a brand new 100 foot ladder Firetruck and a new garage to put it in, because the old garage would be too small.  NOW, the town's building ordinance limits building height to 35 feet and there are nearby communities who have large trucks that will respond to fires if needed (they're in some kind of alliance, Chappy would know the proper word!)

Got soundly voted down.

Two weeks later (two weeks!!) the Fire Department leased a brand new 100 ft. Firetruck and is building a garage to put it in, the garage was funded from a Federal Grant of some sort.

Uh, didn't the voters turn it down???????  Why did they even go to the voters if they were applying for grants for the building anyways???  And somehow, because the Firetruck was leased instead of purchased, the Fire Dept was able to get it without voters approval.

(*I know Chappy is a firefighter, and no offense, but this is a tiny town (volunteer firemen) that is trying to be "suburban" and because of the building ordinances and the alliance with the neighboring towns that have these big trucks, it really wasn't necessary in todays economy!*)

And to you new voters!!  Don't let this story keep you from voting!  Make sure you vote anyways, whether it counts or not.  That's the only way we're going to get the concepts our Founding Fathers founded back into this country!

Liz

*thanks Jen!  Didn't pay attention and hit that shift key a couple times :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exacly what they do here. They just backdoor stuff so putting things to a vote is just a waste of time because the city counsel does whatever they want. This is just a minor example of what they do here, they dig up the flower bulbs from the parks every year and plant new ones. Now they tell us it is illeagle for them to "give" away public property so they throw all these perfectly good bulbs away. Now I am the public so why the hell can't I take the bulbs hoem and plant the in my yard? After allI was one of the people who paid for them in the first place eh?...

Anyone in USA ready to vote for props and laws???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The word you're looking for is "proposition," and it's not a common way to enact actual laws. California and a handful of other states have created propositions as a way to FORCE their governments to give the people a say in how they're governed as, in my opinion, those state governments do not listen to their citizens. The politicians hate propositions and often do everything in their power to get around them once passed.

All other states do vote on things such as local tax increases, the issuance of bonds and a few other local issues, but creating state law is usually up to elected representatives (umm, like it's supposed to be: you elect whomever you believe will look out for your best interests).

I wish you luck when you do vote on propositions as the media frenzy surrounding most of them makes it very difficult to fully understand the issues. If all you hear is that a proposition is either all good or all bad then someone powerful is trying to hush up the opposition. You'll have to dig deep to find the other side of the issue (the Internet is great for that).

il wiccan, reminds me of when I worked at JCPenney. They slashed returned shoes with a boxcutter and threw them in the dumpster, when there are folks who would love to have a pair of slightly worn shoes.....too much waste!

Now I live in basically a village and I would probably know where the city would dump bulbs, but if I were you, I'd cozy up to a city maintenance worker and find out where they dump the bulbs.... :thumbsup: More than likely the workers don't like the idea either, and you can bet they take a few bulbs home!!!

Liz

Now you've gone and reminded me, I used to know someone who was the trash collector for one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the area (actually, one of the ten wealthiest in the nation). They took home absolutely beautiful, new, still in-the-box and shrinkwrapped stuff all the time. I have come to the conclusion that rich people's trash is better than my treasured possessions. :(