Ok i know there is a lot of topics on this.... but im gonna post a new thread anyways.

The good news, i read the other ones :)

Ok so i know i want to physically install it, not one of the CD boots, i have an extra 20gb harddrive. I could either:

A) put it in my good computer 2.8ghz 1gb ram, but i would then have 3 HDs in there.. and if i put the third one in there then my DVD drive stops working.... I do belive there is a way around this, just don't know how.

B) Use my old 900mhz AMD ~300mb ram

I would prefere A if that is at all possible. Just for ease of use.

I know almost nothing about linux, but i've read a bit and am interested. And im bored to death as it is, so what the heck.

I have above average computer skills, and am a semi quick learner.

Now I went and did this linux distro quiz here

And they reccomend as my perfect matches the following:

Debian ( http://www.debian.org/ )

Debian GNU/Linux is a particular distribution of the Linux operating system, and numerous packages that run on it. Debian includes more than 8250 software packages at present. Users can select which packages to install; Debian provides a tool for this purpose. You can find a list and descriptions of the packages currently available in Debian at any of the Debian mirror sites.

Ubuntu ( http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ )

Ubuntu is a complete Linux-based operating system, freely available with both community and professional support. Ubuntu includes more than 1,000 pieces of software, starting with the Linux kernel version 2.6 and Gnome 2.10, and covering every standard desktop application from word processing and spreadsheet applications to internet access applications, web server software, email software, programming languages and tools and of course several games.

Kubuntu ( http://www.kubuntu.org/ )

Ubuntu is a complete Linux-based operating system, freely available with both community and professional support. Ubuntu includes more than 1,000 pieces of software, starting with the Linux kernel version 2.6 and Gnome 2.10, and covering every standard desktop application from word processing and spreadsheet applications to internet access applications, web server software, email software, programming languages and tools and of course several games.

Mandriva ( http://www.mandrivalinux.org/ )

Mandriva Linux, formerly known as Mandrake Linux, is a friendly Linux Operating System which specializes in ease-of-use for both servers and the home/office. It is freely available in many languages throughout the world.

MEPIS ( http://www.mepis.org/ )

MEPIS Linux is a desktop Linux system that is also easy to configure as a dedicated server. It is designed for both personal and business purposes. It includes cutting-edge features such as a live/installation/recovery CD, automatic hardware configuration, NTFS partition resizing, ACPI power management, WiFi support, anti-aliased TrueType fonts, a personal firewall, KDE, and much more.

Fedora ( http://fedora.redhat.com/ )

The goal of The Fedora Project is to work with the Linux community to build a complete, general purpose operating system exclusively from open source software.

I have heard a lot about Mandriva (Mandrake), and was thinking of using that one. But then Debian has 8000 software titles.... What would you guys reccomend. Mandrake seems to be the most popular one.

but i would then have 3 HDs in there.. and if i put the third one in there then my DVD drive stops working....  I do belive there is a way around this, just don't know how.

I think you can mix a harddrive and dvdrive, but the hard drive will run very slow, that might not be a good option. Maybe someone else would have a more sure opinion on this.

I commend you for wanting to put linux on your fast system. All to oftem linux ends up on the persons 233mhz system, while windows runs on the 3.0 p4. Is it a possibilty to make 10 gbs of space on one of your currently installed drives?

I'd suggest putting it on your older system just to get your feet wet, then if you feel like it down the road you could put it on your primary system and possibly repartition to avoid having to install a 3rd drive.

As for what distro, as you've likely read, Ubuntu is pretty popular on these boards and elsewhere. It's based on Debian and has most of the same software titles available (if not all).

I wouldn't be concerned with the number of software titles with pretty much any major distro you choose, as most have unofficial repositories that add alot more than official repos add as the default.

Good luck and welcome :thumbsup:

Well currently i have my 80gb HD with windows (im a big gamer and dont like to clutter my HD too much) and a 2gb HD for page file. I could take ut the 2gb one and put in the 20gb one, take 5gb of it and partion it for windows and turn some into page file and other into... storage.. for stuff... and the other 15gb shoud be enough to get my feet wet in linux.

Sound like a plan?

As for Distro, i think im gonna go with Ubuntu, it sounds good, and since a lot of you guys use it, i can come here and bother you with hundreds of questions :) wont that be fun?

I could take ut the 2gb one and put in the 20gb one, take 5gb of it and partion it for windows and turn some into page file and other into... storage.. for stuff... and the other 15gb shoud be enough to get my feet wet in linux. 

Sound like a plan?

That sounds like a good plan.

I would reccomend the following: make about 3gbs for you pagefile, 10 gbs fat32, and leave the rest unallocated. When you goto install linux it will give you the option to install linux in unalocated space.

The fat32 partition can be shared between linux and windows, with full write access from linux or winodws. Any files you create in linux can be shared with winodws.

That sounds like a good plan.

I would reccomend the following: make about 3gbs for you pagefile, 10 gbs  fat32, and leave the rest unallocated. When you goto install linux it will give you the option to install linux in unalocated space.

The fat32 partition can be shared between linux and windows, with full write access from linux or winodws. Any files you create in linux can be shared with winodws.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sounds super cool, i will use that 10gb for music then :) and the rest for w/e.

I can use Partition magic to format, and partition the drive right?

A... 2gib HDD for a page disk? Wouldn't this be slower than putting it on the main disk?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well.... idk... i jsut figure that the main disk will be busy getting all the game data, and the page file disk will be busy doing its page file stuff.

just to clarify my last statement. Linux will have no problem playing music files that are on your windows NTFS drive. It can read(not write) NTFS great. The shared fat partition would come in handy if you say for example, wrote a document on linux. If you saved it to the fat32 partition, then you could also read it from windows.

@your question

partition magic should work fine. Just remember, do not use it to make your linux partition. Leave space as "unallocated", then the linux installer will automaically install in that space for you.

OK im downloading Ubuntu now. Tommorow evening i will take the leap. Is there anything i should know after its installed? Do i need to do anything? Is there a webbrowser so i can use the net and download stuff i need? or should i dl one now?

Any security updates or anything like that? What spyware stuff do i need to protect myself? Or don't i need any at all?

Is there a webbrowser so i can use the net and download stuff i need?  or should i dl one now?

It'll include just about everything you'll need immediately OOTB, and offer almost everything else within two clicks.

Any security updates or anything like that?

There'll be an updater that runs right after installation. Apt-get manages all of your applications (installation, update, and removal), as well as security updates.

What spyware stuff do i need to protect myself?  Or don't i need any at all?

Shouldn't need any.

WOOT I DID IT!!!

Thank you all.

Now to ask questions,

1. When i went to chose resolutions i could use i pressed enter and it continued... so now i need to find a way to get the higher reses.

2. Is it possible to do dual view with my monitors?

3. i love linux!

WOOT I DID IT!!!

Thank you all.

Now to ask questions,

1. When i went to chose resolutions i could use i pressed enter and it continued... so now i need to find a way to get the higher reses.

2. Is it possible to do dual view with my monitors?

3. i love linux!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. You may need to add the modes your display supports in xorg.cof/xf86conf(I forget the actuall name of the file)

2. Xinerama (needs to be enabled in the same config file i believe)

3. Me too

Ubuntu disables root by default, use sudo with your password if prompted. Backup the file before changing it (precaution).

Edited by naraku9333

Sudo is a command that allows you to run certain commands as root.

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf will open the file as root. Change nano to whatever text editor you want to use.

Edited by naraku9333

Can you post the display section of your xog.conf file? To change back to the original:

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

sudo mv /path/to/backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Edited by naraku9333