Hey guys! Thanks for giving me the link to come over here. I was wondering where everyone went on the G4 forums.

Hey got a memory question. My friend's mom gave me her HP XE743 Pavilion for a memory upgrade. Before she gave me her computer, I looked up what memory she needed and read this computer used 256 mb memory (pc 133). So I bought her Pc133 512 MB stick and went to put it in and saw she had a PC 100 64 mb stick of memory!

I put in the 512 thinking I already knew it wouldn't work and turned the computer on and got a series of 3 beeps from it.

Am I way off here? :wacko:

Have you tried to boot with the stick you bought only??

I thought most PC133 was backwards compatible with PC100,I all so recall reading that that might not be true with some brands.

In any event,can you return the stick or exchange for some PC100??

I am booting with just the 512 stick. I took the 64 out. I don't know if this mobo can handle 512 mb? I thought I read someone that the system came standard with 256... So it confused me when I pulled out the 64 stick.

I didn't know if anyone knew what the 3 beeps meant?

3 beeps Base 64K RAM failure

Maximum Memory 512MB

Memory Slots 2 (2 banks of 1)

Base Memory 64MB removable

Your Hewlett-Packard Pavilion XE743 only supports modules made with a specific type of chip. Should you find what seems to be the exact same memory elsewhere for a lower price, it is very possible that the cheaper memory will not work in your computer.

Hewlett-Packard Pavilion XE743 Memory - Guaranteed to Work

Or

Upgrade for the HP - Compaq Pavilion XE743 Crucial

I am pretty sure you will need the PC100 as I have found HP's older systems do not allow the backwards compatibility. At least my sisters wouldn't allow it either. As for the 512MB, the PC might only allow for 512MB total. You need to goto HP.com/support to find out. Also some PC133 isn't backwards compatible.

Well Not sure if it would work or not the information i gathered said it took a special chip set and not all ram would work. first thing i would do is call that number on the page you listed and ask them what the deal was.. if they cant help you then perhaps ask them about a return and go ahead and purchase 1 of the 2 i listed that guarantee to work

I am pretty sure you will need the PC100 as I have found HP's older systems do not allow the backwards compatibility. At least my sisters wouldn't allow it either. As for the 512MB, the PC might only allow for 512MB total. You need to goto HP.com/support to find out. Also some PC133 isn't backwards compatible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, Most older hp's only allow 512 total = 2 x 256 in each slot, I doubt a 512 stick would work

From what i gather, the max ram is 512 and it has two slots so a 512 chipisn't going to be recognized.

The econd part of the equation is, not all pc133 sticks are backwards compatable anymore, in fact there used to be many more available years ago then there are today.

Swapp it out for 2 sticks of pc100 and go to town with it.

From what i gather, the max ram is 512 and it has two slots so a 512 chipisn't going to be recognized.

The econd part of the equation is, not all pc133 sticks are backwards compatable anymore, in fact there used to be many more available years ago then there are today.

Swapp it out for 2 sticks of pc100 and go to town with it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree Jen, you need to stick w the 100 speed RAM here. I have an old Compaq and it is the same way. I tried 133 thinking backward compatible, plus was cheaper to buy.... well I had to return it. :wacko:

If you have a Staples store nearby check them out. I just got a 256MB of PC100 there for another desktop pretty cheap. Was K-Byte I think,

I called Chief Value today. I have to order the replacement memory from them or I will have to pay a 15% restocking fee.

Can someone help me find either 128mb or 256 mb for this computer?

If not, I can order some memory for my laptop and get hers from Crucial.

Please let me know asap! the RMA number is only good for a few days!

Thanks!

I called Chief Value today.  I have to order the replacement memory from them or I will  have to pay a 15% restocking fee.

Can someone help me find either 128mb or 256 mb for this computer?

If not, I can order some memory for my laptop and get hers from Crucial.

Please let me know asap!  the RMA number is only good for a few days!

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Take the memory specs from here and match them up with memory from here. Don't worry about brand at this point.