From Webopedia:

Cookie

Last modified: Monday, November 03, 2003

A message given to a Web browser by a Web server. The browser stores the message in a text file. The message is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server.

Also see session cookie and persistent cookie.

The main purpose of cookies is to identify users and possibly prepare customized Web pages for them. When you enter a Web site using cookies, you may be asked to fill out a form providing such information as your name and interests. This information is packaged into a cookie and sent to your Web browser which stores it for later use. The next time you go to the same Web site, your browser will send the cookie to the Web server. The server can use this information to present you with custom Web pages. So, for example, instead of seeing just a generic welcome page you might see a welcome page with your name on it.

The name cookie derives from UNIX objects called magic cookies. These are tokens that are attached to a user or program and change depending on the areas entered by the user or program.

I think tg's got the definition for you. To block them, it should be in the preferences under security or privacy (some people say all cookies invade privacy, which they can but don't always). For Firefox, it's tools=>options=>privacy=>cookies=>change your cookie preferences. If you really care about cookies, I suggest having it ask every time and you can just make it not to ask again for certain sites. If you're using Firefox, I suggest Permit Cookies which allows you to change a sites cookie permissions with a simple hotkey.

iwas taught that to control cookies for your benifit

you need to go to IE tools -internet options -privacy tab -advanced -check overide cookie handling -check prompt in first party cookies --block in third party cookies -check session cookies.then when a site wants to place a cookie on your sys you can accept or rejest it this way there is less chance of spy ware being depoited and a virus on your sys ive had these settings for 3-4 years and i dont have the troubles i see a lot of posters post here for.

pete_.c and chappyfrd taught me that some time ago

marty