Since last week I have been having some rather annoying difficulties with my system: I am using a windows ME system by the way. when I right click a file and then go to open with it usually shows some of the recent programs I used on it but the entire open with option is gone and I have no idea how to get it back or how it left. On top of that I have found that my internet connection constantly logs me off and on and slows my connection speed to a snail's pace. I have tried fully updated ad-aware searches and a fully updated norton's anti-virus scan and have come up with nothing, I used hijack this and came up with a clean log. I also tried something called a squared and came up with nothing as well. My sister who also uses the computer enjoys installing, uninstalling and then re-installing games onto the computer all within 72 hours and I was wondering if that could have an effect on what is going on with the computer as well.

Since last week I have been having some rather annoying difficulties with my system: I am using a windows ME system by the way. when I right click a file and then go to open with it usually shows some of the recent programs I used on it but the entire open with option is gone and I have no idea how to get it back or how it left. On top of that I have found that my internet connection constantly logs me off and on and slows my connection speed to a snail's pace. I have tried fully updated ad-aware searches and a fully updated norton's anti-virus scan and have come up with nothing, I used hijack this and came up with a clean log. I also tried something called a squared and came up with nothing as well. My sister who also uses the computer enjoys installing, uninstalling and then re-installing games onto the computer all within 72 hours and I was wondering if that could have an effect on what is going on with the computer as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw this poseted online:

DarkStormFeb 1 2003, 02:12 AM

I have WinME and Last week I lost the "Open With" right click option. How do I get it back. It used to be available with every file allowing me to open a registered file with an alternate program but now I cant, It doesn't even come up with un-registered files anymore.

Thank you in advance.

FastwayFeb 1 2003, 02:18 AM

Hold down the shift key and rt click does that work???

............i did not see a reply to the solution, but maybe give it a try?

Well the link that was given to me didn't work at all when I followed the directions, I don't like using the shift rightclick alt trick because it takes way too long with all the programs I have on the computer, I just want it to go back to normal without having to restart the computer from scratch

Have you tried to do a System restore. ME's only problem is it doesn't have System File Checker (SFC) so it is a pain to try and replace a corrupted or missng file. You would need to indentify what file is bad then replace it from the WinME CD.

System File Protection and Windows Me

Maybe this is the one:

Adding Open With to the Right Click in the Explorer

Added 12/28/99

To add the option Open With when you right click on a file in the Explorer:

1. Start Regedit

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ CLASSES \* \ shell \ openas \ command

3. If this key isn't there then just create it

4. Give it the value of C:\WINDOWS\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1

Maybe this is the one:

Added 12/28/99

1. Start Regedit

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried as you said above but there is no subfolders after the asterik nor is there any ones called shell in classes.

Maybe this is the one:

Added 12/28/99

1. Start Regedit

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried as you said above but there is no subfolders after the asterik nor is there any ones called shell in classes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Open notepad

Copy the contents of this quote

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\*\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\*\shell\openas]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\*\shell\openas\command]

@="C:\\WINDOWS\\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1"

Now choose file / save as

INCLUDING the quotes put

"Shell.reg"

in the file name

and All files as the file type and Desktop as the location.

Now you will have shell.reg as a file on your desktop.

Double click it and it will merge the value into your registry and you will have open with as an option.