Whiskeyman's Bar

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grand Valley, Wayne?? You've heard of both those schools? WOW! I got my BS from "Bland Valley Straight" in Allendull. Do you have Michigan ties? Go Lakers! :thumbsup:

Liz

hehheh...yep...i go way back with GVSU...my "uncle" (actually my dad's cousin) Dave Sharphorn - First Athletic Coach At GVSU used to take us out to ski the hills out there before any of the buildings were built.. :thumbsup: and Charles H. Irwin - first Athletic Director was a family friend and my freshman football coach...they both had a great vision of what that college could become long before the money was raised...and both were instrumental from it's inception in building what it is today ...

i'm the oldest of six kids..and the only one who did not graduate from GVSU..as i left a couple of weeks after my high school graduation to attend the military academy at west point...my youngest brother marc..is now an assistant athletic director there...and you might have seen an article in the GR Press about my parents who...back in aug...celebrated their 57th wedding aniversary with a tailgate party before the Ferris State game...they've been avid Laker fans for over 35 years...

so ya...you could say i'm connected to GV...my dad and i call each other on our cell phones at half time and we've been known to "discuss" the play calling the next day...GO LAKERS...!!! :thumbsup:

Wow, Small World, Wayne! I attended Grand Valley State Colleges after getting my Associates from Muskegon CC--back in the days where there were a cluster of different schools (went to William James College, one of the "hippie" schools ;) amazing Art Department!) Lived in Ravine Apartments. Unbelievable how much that school and Allendale has built up. Went there a couple years ago for Son's HS Band Festival and hardly recognized the place. It's a big city now, where are the cornfields?

Daughter's planning on going there Winter semester and Son plans on going there next Fall.

We don't get the Press, too bad! I would have definitely read that article about your folks. Is Ferris still the big rival game?

Still confused how I got a BS degree, being an art major (must have been those Art History and Psych minors)....ah, a BS is way more fitting anyways. :)

Liz

Edited by blim

Small world indeed...my brother...the AAD comes out to visit now and then and i trade him room and board while he's here for GV t-shirts and sweats..i must have over a hundred of them...and wear them all the time around town here in Agoura Hills...you'd be amazed how many people stop me and tell me they went there...or their husband did...or perhaps their son or daughter...lots of Laker fans scattered about out here...

Dave Sharphorn passed away 4-5 years ago..and my dad and mom still tells the early day stories of no win basketball seasons and dismal football records...do you remember the original field house...big round domed building...??

dad says even Dave couldn't believe how big and sucessful GV became..and people would scoff at him when he would describe what it would be before they built it...

oh and yes Ferris is still a big rivalry...and what with their sucess the last 4-5 years they have added a few to the list...LOL

:D:thumbsup:

Edited by screi

I definitely remember the "dome"! Just a stone's throw from the apartments. Now, I went home to Whitehall to work every Thursday night through Sunday, so I must admit I never went to any games there, but I went to a few concerts in that Fieldhouse. $5 student admission (even for "big bands" like REO, Styx and Rush) in those days :thumbsup:

Liz

Edited by blim

I remember the "free concerts" at the downtown Wayne State campus. They had some really great big name bands there.. Sponsered by a radio station. I can't remember the groups 'cause I'm sure it was all left behind with some of my brains cells..... Heh heh

Hmm...got Firefox extentions working again so all is great, updated and ran a few program scans (of which all is clean :D ), other than that I never did a darn thing all day.. :lol:

Oh well....ya sure set one up for me also barkeep... :thumbsup:

***clicky play button on jukebox: Eric Clapton and Cream--"White Room"

I need a cold one... just replied to Chappy's post and need something to calm me down. Mad as hell.

Hi

I'm having more than my share of problems.... Reaching out and Touch Someone......

Bulled out with my Desktop and will someday fix the awesome Laptop and B back in Control..... rats.......

Wish to say only that I care for U........ and will use the word -> Love U my Friends

Marsh................. Say Hi to Dave and U know my friends, only my lack of control...............

Hang in there my friend.... You will get everything back in order.

Still having troubles with your laptop? Wish I could help.

Only one I had was an oooold IBM. It wouldn't even take Win95, it was a first generation one. Made a great boat anchor tho. (and it really did) :lol: Had it out fishing on the boat playing some games, got a strike on my line, jumped to grab my pole and down it went. I could see the screen lit up as it sank in the water. :(

oh boy..saturday night CASHEWS....

what a sports day...Football...GVSU 55...E. Stroudsburg 20...on to the championship game in Alabama :thumbsup:

Womens Volleyball Nationa DII Championship...GVSU defeats Nebrask-Kearney 3-1 for it's first ever Womens National title... :thumbsup:

Army got it's butt kicked by Navy... :o:wacko:

USC wipes UCLA :wacko:

my daughters B-ball team loses 28-27...ouch :mellow::huh:

extra twist in my tall soda please... B)

good grief...did the health dept close this place down...there's been no one here for two days....

well.. hit b16...err c25...ummm no...try k23.....oh shucks no Tangerine Dream on this box....

got a hankerin' for a bud..but best to stay with the tall soda with a twist....and who's smokin' what out back in the alley...??

Break time. I wish I could still drink my JD. There's over a foot of fresh snow outside. It didn't start until 2AM and starting coming down at about 2-3 inches per hour. It doesn't look like it is going to be an easy winter. Darn windchill was around zero. I'm already tired of shoveling. At least it isn't Denver with about twenty below windchill readings.

Edit

Wow!!! 2 1/2 hours to clear enough room for 5 cars plus 70 feet of sidewalk 5 foot wide. I still have to shovel the rest of the main driveway that can hold 4 more cars. This crap was full of moisture. My arms feel like they are made of lead.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75
Errr, still didn't swap that mower deck for the snow plow did ya?

Nope. Had a problem and needed to send the tractor into the shop. I doubt that old single stage blower could have handled this heavy crap anyhow. A frind of mine showed up awhile ago with his plow truck and tried to move some of the banks I created onto the side lawn. The ground is still so soft from all this summer's rain that he sunk his truck to the axles. I had to call another friend to bring over his wrecker to get him out. Now I have deep ruts to fill in the spring. :blink: