Running .exe Files From Within Website

I have set up a site in dreamwaever mx at my work place. its sitting on a win2003 server with iis6. Its set to use "Browse Folders" so i can see files located within ie .exe files for small applications such as winzip. The purpose of the site is to allow support staff to install these applications as and when needed on users PC's.

The problem I am having is that you can follow the hyperlink and browse the contents of the folder seeing the .exe however when clicking on the link to the .exe it wont run and is showing the following error:

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.

If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.

Click the Back button to try another link.

HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.

Internet Information Services (IIS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404.

Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages.

Any help will really be helpfull

Thanks

Kev :thumbsup:

The .exe is probably an unknown MIME type for IIS.

Hopefully this article will help:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326965

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the reply. I have already checked this and thats not the problem. The MIME typs is added, thats one of the things I first checked as I have had problems with II6 and other sites. IIS has changed dratically since IIS5. 6 has far fewer MIME types by default than 5 did. Nice of Microsoft!!

I have looked on the Macromedia support forum site and everthing they have suggested I have looked into also. Without any luck. :(