Off Topic

Cows,

It never, totally, died out. Went up through Alabama, then turned east, went off-shore, turned south (by this time it was just a low pressure area), got off the east coast of Florida, turned west, cut across Florida into the Gulf of Mexico, followed the coast about 100 miles off-shore, started strengthening yesterday (9/23), expected to hit near Galveston, Texas, and drop a lot of rain on southern LA and TX.

Nah. It ain't dead yet.

handplane,

Looks like were in for a lot of rain today. Looks like it's already raining in your area. We'll catch it later this morning. They are predicting 5+ inches here. Average stormy day for around here. We sure need the rain. That 5 inches will be soaked up as soon as it hits the ground. We haven't had a good rain in 2-3 months.

does any one think the weather is because of global warming.

or is it a result of natural weather patterns

to me this phenonimen seems to be world wide

tho the area these storms are in has a pattern over the years.if it is caused by global warming can you expect more and worse.

i think the world has to clean up its act or natural patterns wil be a force to be reckoned with in the future.

where i live this sort of weather is rare.tho parts of my country does get the od big storm.

i sympathise with the repicipients of a storm caused by nature

what can you do.when the strongest force in the universe is comming at you

marty

marty

Dig Deep! LOL

I think it's, more or less, just mama natures cycle. Sometimes there are several storms a year, sometimes hardly any.

Might be something to the global warming thing, too. In the past couple of yrs., I doubt we've had 10 days where the temp reached, or droped below, 32. We haven't even had any 100 degree days, this year. Very unusual.

tho the area these storms are in  has a pattern over the years.if it is caused by global warming  can you expect more and worse.

i think the world has to clean up its act or natural patterns wil be a force to be reckoned with in the future.

where i live this sort of weather is rare.tho parts of my country does get the od big storm.

marty

Quick everyone on the eastern seaboard, take your change and keys out of your pockets and switch them. :unsure::huh:

Now put a mirror backwards on on the wall that faces the storm.

If this doen't work someone might have to sacrifice a chicken. I don't like killing things so here's some KFC.

tho the area these storms are in has a pattern over the years.if it is caused by global warming can you expect more and worse.

marty

Marty I don't think global warming has nothing to do with the stroms.

I think global warming would only melt the ice caps at the poles. but

that just me.

suwannee24 :)

A little info:

For years now, scientists have been warning that global warming is likely to lead to an increase in freak weather conditions, with more floods, cyclones and droughts. They have predicted an upsurge in mosquito-borne illnesses such as malaria and extinction of plant and animal species because of habitat destruction. What is significant about the new reports, however, is the degree of certainty about the extent of global warming and its impact. The draft Geneva report gave a regional breakdown of what may lie ahead. Africa: Grain yields are expected to decrease, and there will be less water available. Desertification will be worsened by reductions in average annual rainfall, especially in southern, North and West Africa. Coastal settlements in Nigeria, Senegal, Gambia, Egypt and along the East-Southern African coast will be hit by rising sea levels and coastal erosion. Asia: High temperatures, drought, floods and soil degradation likely will diminish food production in arid and tropical parts of Asia. Northern areas may see an increase in productivity. Rises in the sea level and more intense tropical cyclones likely will displace tens of millions of people in low-lying coastal areas of temperate and tropical Asia. Europe: Southern Europe will become more prone to drought. In other areas, flood hazards will increase. Half of Alpine glaciers could disappear by the end of the 21st century. Heat waves may change traditional summer tourist destinations and less reliable snow conditions may hurt winter tourism. Agricultural productivity may increase in northern Europe, but decrease in southern Europe. Latin America: Floods and droughts will become more frequent. Yields of important crops likely will decrease in many parts of Latin America. Subsistence farming in northeastern Brazil could be threatened. Exposure to diseases such as malaria and cholera likely will increase. North America: Food production could benefit from modest warming, but there will be strong regional effects like declines in Canada's Prairies and the U.S. Great Plains. Sea level rises could increase coastal erosion, flooding and lead to more storm surges, particularly in Florida and the Atlantic coast. Diseases like malaria, dengue fever and lyme disease may expand their ranges in North America and there likely will be more heat-related deaths. Polar: Climate change in polar regions is expected to be among the largest anywhere on Earth. Already, the extent and thickness of Arctic sea ice have decreased, permafrost has thawed and the distribution and abundance of species has been effected. The trends may continue even long after greenhouse gas stabilizations are stabilized and cause irreversible impact on ice sheets, global ocean circulation and sea levels. Small island states: A projected sea level rise of two tenths of an inch per year for the next 100 years will increase coastal erosion, damage to ecosystems, loss of land and dislocation of people. Coral reefs will be damaged and fisheries harmed. Tourism an important source of income likely will face severe disruption from climate change and sea level rise.
A little info:
For years now, scientists have been warning that global warming is likely to lead to an increase in freak weather conditions, with more floods, cyclones and droughts. They have predicted an upsurge in mosquito-borne illnesses such as malaria and extinction of plant and animal species because of habitat destruction. What is significant about the new reports, however, is the degree of certainty about the extent of global warming and its impact. The draft Geneva report gave a regional breakdown of what may lie ahead. Africa: Grain yields are expected to decrease, and there will be less water available. Desertification will be worsened by reductions in average annual rainfall, especially in southern, North and West Africa. Coastal settlements in Nigeria, Senegal, Gambia, Egypt and along the East-Southern African coast will be hit by rising sea levels and coastal erosion. Asia: High temperatures, drought, floods and soil degradation likely will diminish food production in arid and tropical parts of Asia. Northern areas may see an increase in productivity. Rises in the sea level and more intense tropical cyclones likely will displace tens of millions of people in low-lying coastal areas of temperate and tropical Asia. Europe: Southern Europe will become more prone to drought. In other areas, flood hazards will increase. Half of Alpine glaciers could disappear by the end of the 21st century. Heat waves may change traditional summer tourist destinations and less reliable snow conditions may hurt winter tourism. Agricultural productivity may increase in northern Europe, but decrease in southern Europe. Latin America: Floods and droughts will become more frequent. Yields of important crops likely will decrease in many parts of Latin America. Subsistence farming in northeastern Brazil could be threatened. Exposure to diseases such as malaria and cholera likely will increase. North America: Food production could benefit from modest warming, but there will be strong regional effects like declines in Canada's Prairies and the U.S. Great Plains. Sea level rises could increase coastal erosion, flooding and lead to more storm surges, particularly in Florida and the Atlantic coast. Diseases like malaria, dengue fever and lyme disease may expand their ranges in North America and there likely will be more heat-related deaths. Polar: Climate change in polar regions is expected to be among the largest anywhere on Earth. Already, the extent and thickness of Arctic sea ice have decreased, permafrost has thawed and the distribution and abundance of species has been effected. The trends may continue even long after greenhouse gas stabilizations are stabilized and cause irreversible impact on ice sheets, global ocean circulation and sea levels. Small island states: A projected sea level rise of two tenths of an inch per year for the next 100 years will increase coastal erosion, damage to ecosystems, loss of land and dislocation of people. Coral reefs will be damaged and fisheries harmed. Tourism an important source of income likely will face severe disruption from climate change and sea level rise.

I just heard on the news on tv that George and pumpkin head Bush was the cause

for the storms hitting Florida. ha ha :lol:

suwannee24

The latter. Hurricane activity, like most weather, is cyclical. There was a period of about 25 years of relative calm starting in 1970, and now we're about ten years into a period of greater activity. In a decade or three it'll calm back down again.

The problem is that a lot of these cycles have such long periods that people don't realize they're cyclical. That the periods are often highly variable in length doesn't help either. It turns out that a big chunk of North America is barely habitable at times, the South West because of drought, the South East because of storms. But the cycles are long enough that they either were overlooked or forgotten, so now it looks like the world is coming to an end.

(BTW, as a rule it isn't a good idea to live at the western-equatorial corner of an ocean, even during a calm period :-)

I'm not sure if I really want Jeanne comming up the coast....last time a hurricane came up here like that, I got flooded in....meaning nothing around my house was really flooded, but the only 3 ways out of here were all flooded and closed, so I was stuck here....the fun part of it though was that I got to ride all over town, taking photos of the flooded areas. At the time I didn't have any boots to wade into the water yet for the better shots, but now I do.....I've got the old flood photos on my site.