Hello! sorry if there was somthing like this already ^^ i didn't see anything, anyways

I was pretty excited to try linux (i know nothing at all about it and i havn't yet tried it) but what can i do with linux that i cant with Windows? ^^ whats the reason for using linux over windows besides security... or is it just for the safty and for Bill Gates haters?

^^;

Hello! sorry if there was somthing like this already ^^ i didn't see anything, anyways

I was pretty excited to try linux (i know nothing at all about it and i havn't yet tried it) but what can i do with linux that i cant with Windows? ^^ whats the reason for using linux over windows besides security... or is it just for the safty and for Bill Gates haters?

^^;

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Choice. Not only can I make my GNU/Linux environment dance, I can have it do a specific dance, to a tempo of my specification, wearing the shoes I decide.

^^;

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Choice. Not only can I make my GNU/Linux environment dance, I can have it do a specific dance, to a tempo of my specification, wearing the shoes I decide.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And you can do it using only 10% of the space that windows uses.

Most linux boxes never need to be defragmented

Not as vulnerable to all the virii, trojans, malware etc. that can kill a windows computer.

It is much easier to Install only the parts that you need. With windows you have to install so much that you never use.

There are just a few reasons that two out of three of my computers are now running linux

The third is a dual boot because of some windows programs I require for work

Heh, I only switched so I'd understand the jokes on slashdot. :lol:

Now I get the jokes but realize they aren't that funny but I lost my windows CD so I'm kinda stuck with it...lol

Kidding aside, all the good reasons for using linux have been stated...btw, I really like TheLetterK's reason.

My reasons:

~Free is always a good start

~Major customizability potential.

~Ever evolving and improving

~Tech knowledge gained

Its just an OS for geeks. (oh wait, what am I saying, i have linux installed!!)

Really, it's free, it's fun to install if your interested and there's no anti virus needed.

I started for the reason I posted first(wanting to learn), but stick with it becasue I can change it any way I want. No part of the os is hidden from me(unlike windows). Linux is the ultimate os for user choice.

leo once said, "if you really wnat to learn how computers work, use linux". That is the reason  enjoy it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Allow me to disagree with the venerable Leo. That kind of thinking leads you to the mentality that gives rise to wonderful humorous fodder for sites like funroll-loops.org. I have my own theories on the best ways to 'learn how computers work,' but that wasn't the intent of this thread. Don't start out with unreasonable expectations; Linux is not really inherently any more or less secure than a properly administered NT box. Notice the operative phrase in that sentence: "properly administered." In most noteworthy cases computer security is the merit or the fault (whatever the case may be) of the system's administrators and users, not the system itself. I can build a terribly insecure Linux system just as well as I can build a very secure NT system.

Aside from some of the other reasons mentioned, I'll oversimplify the answer by simply saying that you should use Linux if you like it. How do you know if you like it? By using it. It's very simple, really. Linux has its ups and downs, its quirks, annoyances, headaches, niceties, and downright oddities. Some of these will be more an issue than others depending on your previous background, and some you won't know about until you've used Linux for quite awhile. Some you won't even know about unless you've used a whole lot of other OSes (not just *nixes). While all this might sound a bit daunting, don't let it scare you off. You should at least be aware of 'other OSes' out there so you can make a good choice regarding what OS you want to use (or at the very least be able to name drop esoteric examples like Plan-9, OS/400, QNX, SkyOS, Aros, ITRON, et al whenever the current track of conversation doesn't suit you and you want to throw your fellow conversers into a confused daze).

-uberpenguin

Fuck yeah, uberpenguin is here! Yay!

[Edit by jcl: Careful with the language, apparently we're family-friendly here. Euphemisms, clever puns, impolite acronyms and the like are part of the 'nix experience, but I can and will kill anyone who uses gratuitous profanity unless one of the admins says otherwise.]

Edited by jcl
leo once said, "if you really wnat to learn how computers work, use linux". That is the reason  enjoy it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Allow me to disagree with the venerable Leo. That kind of thinking leads you to the mentality that gives rise to wonderful humorous fodder for sites like funroll-loops.org. I have my own theories on the best ways to 'learn how computers work,' but that wasn't the intent of this thread. Don't start out with unreasonable expectations; Linux is not really inherently any more or less secure than a properly administered NT box. Notice the operative phrase in that sentence: "properly administered." In most noteworthy cases computer security is the merit or the fault (whatever the case may be) of the system's administrators and users, not the system itself. I can build a terribly insecure Linux system just as well as I can build a very secure NT system.

Aside from some of the other reasons mentioned, I'll oversimplify the answer by simply saying that you should use Linux if you like it. How do you know if you like it? By using it. It's very simple, really. Linux has its ups and downs, its quirks, annoyances, headaches, niceties, and downright oddities. Some of these will be more an issue than others depending on your previous background, and some you won't know about until you've used Linux for quite awhile. Some you won't even know about unless you've used a whole lot of other OSes (not just *nixes). While all this might sound a bit daunting, don't let it scare you off. You should at least be aware of 'other OSes' out there so you can make a good choice regarding what OS you want to use (or at the very least be able to name drop esoteric examples like Plan-9, OS/400, QNX, SkyOS, Aros, ITRON, et al whenever the current track of conversation doesn't suit you and you want to throw your fellow conversers into a confused daze).

-uberpenguin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow!

uberpenguin is here!! Welcome again to Besttechie.net! uberpenguin is the man who helped me (along with jcl) to get started in Linux. I am very pleased that you're posting here again. Good to have you here. :D

Knowing Linux will give you 'street cred' with geeks and allow you to feel superior to mere mortal scum. :D

If you take the time to learn the *nix command line, it will also increase your chance at a high paying job. *nix is the backend behind almost every security device, from the high priced firewalls to the lowly Linksys Wifi router in my home office. Heck, even Tivo's run it.

Linux is the easy way in. It is easy like Windows, but doesn't deliberately hold you in a box where you cant learn whats going on. If you want to learn how its done, there is always the source code. Now how cool is that?

:)

BH

Knowing Linux will give you 'street cred' with geeks and allow you to feel superior to mere mortal scum.

Right, and if you don't know any geeks besides yourself, you'll have enough material for a lifetime of making people go away or at least to watch their eyes glaze over. :lol:

If you want to learn how its done, there is always the source code.  Now how cool is that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just be careful. I looked at the GCC source a few years ago and woke up three days later in the hospital.

Knowing Linux will give you 'street cred' with geeks and allow you to feel superior to mere mortal scum.

Right, and if you don't know any geeks besides yourself, you'll have enough material for a lifetime of making people go away or at least to watch their eyes glaze over. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL :lol:

Well-said, tictoc! People hate others who let everyone know that they are l33t. I never speak about Linux when I'm at work as co-workers look at you like you're crazy (probably true).

Being very knowledgeable about Linux does not make you better than "mere mortals."

I know a little bit about Linux, but, there's always someone who knows more than I do (lots in fact). :D

If you want to learn how its done, there is always the source code.  Now how cool is that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just be careful. I looked at the GCC source a few years ago and woke up three days later in the hospital.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL :lol:

Being very knowledgeable about Linux does not make you better than "mere mortals."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, but being very knowledgeable about OS/400 does.

-uberpenguin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, but being very knowledgeable about OS/400 does.

-uberpenguin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is OS/400 again? You told me this was something you've run. Thanks, uberpenguin. :D

What is OS/400 again?  You told me this was something you've run.  Thanks, uberpenguin. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Something that has the ability to make babies and 50-year-old Bell Unix hackers cry.

-uberpenguin

What is OS/400 again?  You told me this was something you've run.  Thanks, uberpenguin. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Something that has the ability to make babies and 50-year-old Bell Unix hackers cry.

-uberpenguin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay. Thanks.

Did a google search, lazy me :D

OS/400

OS/400 is IBM's operating system for its AS/400 and AS/400e line of business computers. Because OS/400 is closely attuned to the AS/400 hardware design and generally comes as part of the basic package, there is no alternative operating system to compete with it. OS/400 is built to operate with the AS/400 logical partition (LPAR) architecture, in which multiple instances of the operating system can run concurrently in different partitions. Among other uses, LPAR is useful when migrating to a new release. The old production system can keep operating in one partition while a new system is being tested.

Edited by hitest