Basics On Installing Linux

How is the best way to install Linux if you can not boot from your CDrom?  What kind of boot disk would you use, Win98?  Also, since I can not boot from a cd is there any way to use a Live version?  Thanks a lot

bj

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Debian can be installed from two floppies and a 'net connection.

How is the best way to install Linux if you can not boot from your CDrom?  What kind of boot disk would you use, Win98?  Also, since I can not boot from a cd is there any way to use a Live version?  Thanks a lot

bj

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you do a 'net connection? Remember now that I am a total newbie here

bj

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I want to say a similar way you get a 'net connection in windows using ethernet...

bj

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It depends. How are you getting a net connection now?

Just curious, why can't you boot from a CD?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He may not be able to set his BIOS as the first bootable device, I'm guessing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be honest, I do not know why I can not. I have tried setting the first bootable device as my cd-rom, and still no luck.

bj

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a cable connection

Just curious, why can't you boot from a CD?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He may not be able to set his BIOS as the first bootable device, I'm guessing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be honest, I do not know why I can not. I have tried setting the first bootable device as my cd-rom, and still no luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's too bad. Some versions of the BIOS won't allow you to change the boot sequence and have the CD ROM as first bootable device.

if the bios is letting you choose to boot from cdrom, it would leave me to beleive that maybe your disc is not burned correctly. Just for a test, do you have a windows cd, will it boot from that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes i do have a window cd and no it will not work either.

if the bios is letting you choose to boot from cdrom, it would leave me to beleive that maybe your disc is not burned correctly. Just for a test, do you have a windows cd, will it boot from that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you tried to go into your BIOS settings and set your CD ROM drive as the first bootable device?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you tried to go into your BIOS settings and set your CD ROM drive as the first bootable device?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, i have. just skips right over and goes on to the hd, unless i have a floppy in

bj

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a cable connection

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Should handle it automatically then, assuming you use an ethernet connection between the 'modem' and the computer. Well, and assuming your NIC is supported (it probably is).

most distributions will allow you to make a boot floppy. After making the floppy, it will tell the computer to boot from the cd

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed, shanenin's idea will work very well.

What distro were you considering installing?

most distributions will allow you to make a boot floppy. After making the floppy, it will tell the computer to boot from the cd

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed, shanenin's idea will work very well.

What distro were you considering installing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a bunch of Ubuntu cds that i wanted to try. and most of the stuff I have read made it sound like you could only make the boot disk only after you have installed. Unless I just misunderstood it.

try this site.. it may at least be fun..but should work well.. it will show you how to install linux with no cdrom, no floppy and no usb.. it uses your windows OS and you network connection and a link to distrobutions ftp (they all have them). it has information on ubuntu

http://marc.herbert.free.fr/linux/win2linstall.html

Edited by iccaros

Well it looks like it might be a while before I get to do anything. First of all I think my cd-rom went out on me, and that might have been the problem. It started acting kinda flakey lately. And when I went to change it out, my HD died on me. going out today and getting a new one. So lets see how things go after I get the new HD installed.

• 2 weeks later...
Well it looks like it might be a while before I get to do anything.  First of all I think my cd-rom went out on me, and that might have been the problem.  It started acting kinda flakey lately.  And when I went to change it out, my HD died on me.  going out today and getting a new one.  So lets see how things go after I get the new HD installed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok, looks like I got my new system up and running. went out and got an amd 64 3000+, with a gig of ram. and well what do you know..... my dvd rom now boots. looks like it was my motherboard after all. thanks for all of your help guys.

Now on to another question.... I have been thinking about using Ubuntu, any opinions on if this is a good distro to start with, or should I try something else?

bj

it is defienatley one of the most popular around. Its best feature is it uses apt. Apt makes software installation easy. It is a good first choice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. Ubuntu is an awesome choice for a first distro. Ubuntu also has exceptional hardware detection. I think you'll like Ubuntu. Ubuntu has a very straight forward text based installer that will guide you through the installation process. :thumbsup: