A Suggestion, If Technically Possible

Hello all,

I was wondering, is there any way that there could be a combined alternative section that echos all posts regardless of which sub category they are in?

I tend to pick up info by looking at posts I wouldn't normally seek out in a subcategory. Having one board that echos everything might make it a little easier to participate. It might also be nice to filter out any board you have absolutely no interest in, if that is a technical option.

Given the potential problems, I would prevent posting to that echo board. I dont see replies as a problem, since they should show up in the board to which they were intended.

Can it be done, and do you guys think its worth it?

BH

I'm not sure I totally understand what you are asking. Which sub-forums are you talking about? And what exactly do you mean by having it echo everything? If you meant like moving all the posts in Windows Tips and Tricks to just the plain old Windows Support forum I would consider that. Same with the Linux/Unix and Mac forums. I'll think about doing that. As for the other sub forums I think that those are fine to leave. If in fact you are talking about combinding the tips and tricks with the main forum for those tips it sounds like a good idea. :thumbsup:

B

I'm not sure I totally understand what you are asking.  Which sub-forums are you talking about?  And what exactly do you mean by having it echo everything?  If you meant like moving all the posts in Windows Tips and Tricks to just the plain old Windows Support forum I would consider that.  Same with the Linux/Unix and Mac forums.  I'll think about doing that.  As for the other sub forums I think that those are fine to leave.  If in fact you are talking about combinding the tips and tricks with the main forum for those tips it sounds like a good idea. :thumbsup:

B

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I get in, I see a list of the forums. Programming, windows, Linux, Web Development. It would be nice if I could see all active threads in one place. That way I don't have to go into a topic board to see what is going on. One board would hold all of the active threads, ranked by last post.

So maybe what I am asking is some way to combine all of the traffic in one place.

I get the feeling this isn't very clear, are you getting the jist?

BH

Yes, now I understand what you are asking. Personally I don't think that is the best idea for a few reasons. 1.) it makes it harder to moderate 2.) you are going to have posts that are totally different in one big forum it will just become really confusing 3.) it's much more organized this way. However, what I can and will do is combine that similar forums such as Windows Tips and Tricks into the main Windows forum, Linux/Unix tips and tricks into the main Linux/Unix forum, and Mac tips and tricks into the main Mac forum. I think that would be a fair compromise, and yet it will still be organized. It also makes much more sense and is easier then moving everything into one big forum. Give it a few days and I'm sure you'll get a more use the layout. B)

B

Yes, now I understand what you are asking.  Personally I don't think that is the best idea for a few reasons.  1.) it makes it harder to moderate 2.) you are going to have posts that are totally different in one big forum it will just become really confusing 3.) it's much more organized this way.  However, what I can and will do is combine that similar forums such as Windows Tips and Tricks into the main Windows forum, Linux/Unix tips and tricks into the main Linux/Unix forum, and Mac tips and tricks into the main Mac forum.  I think that would be a fair compromise, and yet it will still be organized.  It also makes much more sense and is easier then moving everything into one big forum.  Give it a few days and I'm sure you'll get a more use the layout. B)

B

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought about that and I completely agree. In the original post I suggested it be set up read only, and if someone replied back to a post it would drop into the appropriate board. That would allow the efficent moderation and just show a summary. For all I know, it might not even be possible.

Hey, its your board and it is good as it is. I am kind of the noob here, so don't think I am pushing. :)

BH

Not a problem. I do my best to consider the suggestions, they don't always get approved, but I at least will consider them. :)

As for:

In the original post I suggested it be set up read only, and if someone replied back to a post it would drop into the appropriate board.

I don't think there is a way to do that. At least as far as I know.

B

Hmm, Ok. Well, after going through the tips and tricks forums it seems it would be best to leave everything as is. The posts there are specific for tips and tricks and not for support. All the forums will be staying as they were. B)

B

It would be nice if I could see all active threads in one place. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought the same thing when I joined. To adapt, I've started using the View New Posts link at the top right of the page. Maybe this will help you as well.

It would be nice if I could see all active threads in one place. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought the same thing when I joined. To adapt, I've started using the View New Posts link at the top right of the page. Maybe this will help you as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that is a really good tip for all of the new g4 migrators.... I know I had (still have, sort of) the same problem.

That was a really good suggestion Brian_Holiday. Too bad it's not possible. :(

Brett

hey besttchie

isnt this was what was wrong with g4

posters trying to dictate board policy

how is it 300 of us

understand how posting is sorted out and two dont

would it not be better to go back to g4

if this board dosent fit personal aims.

i read a post were some one with an identical name was getting the

board to make subforums

and then posting on this particular website for those same tips at a cost

if you dont mind noughsaid.

g4 knows the poster .

marty

hey besttchie

how is it 300 of us

board to make subforums

g4 knows the poster .

marty

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chill out and read post number 7. I am not dictating anything to anyone, If this were possible, which it is not seemingly, it wouldn't have effected how anyone was viewing the board other than those who wanted it that way. It would have just organized it in a way that that would have made it easier to help out.

Creating the additional subforum also does not effect anyone who doesn't want to participate.

Yes I am a G4 refugee, one who is active, helpful, and mature. I use the same name because I am not trying to hide that from anyone. A lot of us moved over to get away from the crap over there. I for one plan to stay, help, and promote the board on G4. Sorry you feel like we are peeing in your pool, next time I have a suggestion I will just send it as a PM.

BH

hey besttchie

how is it 300 of us

board to make subforums

g4 knows the poster

Hi Marty,

Brian was not dictating anything, he was simply asking if it was possible and suggesting the idea. There is nothing wrong with that.

Brian, if you have a suggestion I would like if you posted it in this forum, becuase it gives everyone a chance to give their views and also helps determine if it would be a good idea or not. Sorry about the confusion. I will be locking this thread now. B)

B