Best AV if you want to pay for an AV is in my opinion NOD32 or Kaspersky. If you want something free, then I recommend AVG or avast.

Links to the AV's listed:

NOD32: http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm

Kaspersky: http://www.kaspersky.com/

AVG: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

avast: http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Hope that helps! B)

B

Hi Remix,

Personally I'm a Mcafee user (don't laugh, it came with the idiot box, so I learned on that one, so its easy for me to use,and I can get it free with rebates...) BUT even though I never heard of NOD32 (but trust Jeff completely), I have heard wonderful things about Kaspersky-and I *think* there's an option on their website to try it on trial?? Also heard good things about AVG and Avast, but keep them updated.

Liz

Also, what is your ISP? Chances are they'll offer you an anti virus. my DSL provider, SBC Yahoo, offers they're own brand of anti-spyware/anti-virus by using EZ antivirus's AV. AOL offers free AV, if i'm not mistake.

If it turns out your ISP doesn't have a free AV, the ones above are awesome.

Kaspersky.............??

i'd admit i don't know this one, but i did a quick google on it. i read some brief reviews as well, and right now, i'm not impressed. i still have AVG, and my norton has expired, maybe i'll renew my norton, maybe not.

anyhow, i find that AVG works just fine for me as well.

?whats the best antivirus?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've had problem with Norton in the past, or, at least uninstalling Norton. Something about an XL.exe... Mcafee is nice but once it expires it'll keep giving you the update reminder and I can't seem delete the Windows Task it creates to keep reminding me to update it. Can't say what's best but thought I'd just add some odd occurances with the two I know. Mcafee interface has a lot of windows to navigate, but a lot of options to play with.

?whats the best antivirus?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've had problem with Norton in the past, or, at least uninstalling Norton. Something about an XL.exe...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just for reference, I would also like to add that I too have had MANY problems with Norton. First, it would find 8 infections, then when I tried to delete them, it would say "Delete Failed".... So it was pretty much useless, so when I went to uninstall it, It wouldn't let me, because I didn't have the admin rights (which I did). I forgot how I finally uninstalled it, but it definately wasn't the right way. It took me at least 2 weeks to figure out how to uninstall it though....

I have found out that many people love Norton, and many people hate Norton.... Many people think that it is a resource hog too...

Just some info,

Brett

Just to throw in here:

Im using AVG Free, along with Sygate personal firewall (also free) they work very well together. I do know someone who had major problems with kaspersky, such that it jeopardized his system... but by his reputatuion, it was probably his own fault. Ive never used it before, but other than him, I've heard good things about it. What Jeff (Besttechie) submitted is a good list.

Matt

Oh this is a can of worms....

The best one is the one the user:

Learns how to use

Updates

and actually uses.

try the free/trials and get familiar with one it will keep you safe. Remember to use online scans when in doubt.

m