Linux For A Beginner

Hey guys,

I have decided to take a step into the unknown and try linux for the first time ever!

and i have no clue how to do it, there are sooo many choices and different versions of linux its overwhelming, so i throw myself to the mercy of you linux pros for much needed advice and tips and maybe suggestions?

first will my computer be a problem?

pentium 4 2.2

256 megs of ddr ram

40 western digital hd

2 lg 52x burners

Seanix MS-6769 motherboard

floppy/optical mouse cheapo monitor (this is just a junk comp i have lying around)

anyways, My questions are:(sorry if these sound dumb)

Will this computer even run linux?

which version of linux should i use? which is easier to use?

where could i download this version? (or buy it, but im under the impression its free?)

how would i go about installing this?

what would be some good programs for me to start using?

how would i connect to the internet using linux? through a router?

would it look kinda like a windows desktop? or run liek one? because i seen some screenshots of it and it kinda does and i was wondering if it would look the same.

could i run some windows programs on it like photoshop and stuff? and games? homeworld is on of my favs.

also will i need to learn some type of programming in order to run this operating system or is it like windows?

ok sorry for the long drawn out post but any help is welcome . THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE

Chris

Hey guys,

I have decided to take a step into the unknown and try linux for the first time ever!

and i have no clue how to do it, there are sooo many choices and different versions of linux its overwhelming, so i throw myself to the mercy of you linux pros for much needed advice and tips and maybe suggestions?

pentium 4 2.2

256 megs of ddr ram

40 western digital hd

2 lg 52x burners

floppy/optical mouse cheapo monitor (this is just a junk comp i have lying around)

where could i download this version? (or buy it, but im under the impression its free?)

would it look kinda like a windows desktop? or run liek one? because i seen some screenshots of it and it kinda does and i was wondering if it would look the same.

could i run some windows programs on it like photoshop and stuff? and games? homeworld is on of my favs.

also will i need to learn some type of programming in order to run this operating system or is it like windows?

ok sorry for the long drawn out post  but any help is welcome . THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE

Chris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi mercurymouse,

Welcome to besttechie.net!

I recommend that you start your journey into Linux by trying out a Live Linux CD like Knoppix. A Live CD like Knoppix is a version of Linux that runs completely from your CD ROM without the need to install anything on your hard drive.

Here's how it works you insert the CD into your CD tray and re-boot your computer. If your computer boots from your cd rom drive you will be running Linux when it starts up.

Hey guys,

pentium 4 2.2

256 megs of ddr ram

40 western digital hd

2 lg 52x burners

ok sorry for the long drawn out post  but any help is welcome . THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE

Chris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't find any info on the mobo, but it should.

I like Ubuntu, YMMV. It's not the best choice if you don't have a fully Linux compatible NIC.

'Linux' is a kernel, so I suppose version 2.6. What your looking for is a GNU/Linux distribution. Think of each distribution as a seperate operating system. Most are free, or have a free version (Free as in 'free beer', all of them are free as in 'free speech').

Here. There are more Linux installation howtos than ameobas in the universe, pick one. Google for 'Linux installation howto'

One of the things that you'll hopefully find for yourself is confidence in your choice of software. What I like is not nessesarily what you like, and GNU/Linux offers you the oportunity to use what you like instead. I like Galeon, GNOME, Rhythmbox, Thunderbird, Xchat, and a ton of other apps.

How do you connect to the 'net as-is? It'll be some variation of the same way you currently do.

would it look kinda like a windows desktop?

If you want it to. Mine doesn't particularly resemble Windows, while others have a virtual clone. Still more use something totally different. No two Linux desktops look the same, or it seems that way at any rate.

could i run some windows programs on it like photoshop and stuff?

Maybe. Photoshop will work with an application called Crossover Office (don't know about normal WINE compatibility, but I wouldn't be surprisied). Don't bet on Windows app support. You can still dual boot for games and such--that's what I do.

It's a good idea to learn basic shell scripting, but it's not a requirement by any means.

Hey guys,

pentium 4 2.2

256 megs of ddr ram

40 western digital hd

2 lg 52x burners

Chris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi mercurymouse,

I recommend that you start your journey into Linux by trying out a Live Linux CD like Knoppix. A Live CD like Knoppix is a version of Linux that runs completely from your CD ROM without the need to install anything on your hard drive.

Here's how it works you insert the CD into your CD tray and re-boot your computer. If your computer boots from your cd rom drive you will be running Linux when it starts up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A word of warning about Live Linux distros--they're setup how the distro maintainer likes it, and that might not be how you like it. 'Normal' installations offer a lot more flexibility, so keep that in mind when judging it's suitability.

Hey guys,

pentium 4 2.2

256 megs of ddr ram

40 western digital hd

2 lg 52x burners

Chris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi mercurymouse,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A word of warning about Live Linux distros--they're setup how the distro maintainer likes it, and that might not be how you like it. 'Normal' installations offer a lot more flexibility, so keep that in mind when judging it's suitability.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to Besttechie, TheLetterK.

Yes, Ubuntu is an excellent version of Linux to use. I'm recommending Knoppix for this guy so he can try out Linux. If he likes it and is willing to commit to installing Linux on his hard drive then yes Ubuntu would be an excellent choice.

Other good first choices are Mandriva Ltd. Edition 2005 and Fedora Core 4.

Note: Before you install anything to your hard drive go to the hardware compatibility list of your version of Linux and check to make sure all of your hardware is Linux compliant. That is, go to Ubuntu's website, for example, and check to make sure your video card, NIC, CD ROM drive, sound card are supported.

Everything has been said already so this is just another endorsement for ubuntu

I like Ubuntu, YMMV. It's not the best choice if you don't have a fully Linux compatible NIC.

In my experience (not that I have a ton), Ubuntu is better than most at detecting hardware...especially NICs and wireless NICs...but as TheLetterK said, YMMV. :)

In my experience (not the I have a ton), Ubuntu is better than most at detecting hardware...especially NICs and wireless NICs...but as TheLetterK said, YMMV. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, if I had to choose one distro for a first time install Ubuntu would be it. It has a text based installer that is very simple to use. Like tictoc said it's very good at detecting hardware.

Happy choosing. :D

In my experience (not the I have a ton), Ubuntu is better than most at detecting hardware...especially NICs and wireless NICs...but as TheLetterK said, YMMV. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, if I had to choose one distro for a first time install Ubuntu would be it. It has a text based installer that is very simple to use. Like tictoc said it's very good at detecting hardware.

Happy choosing. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with this as well I installed Ubuntu on my laptop just a few days ago and almost everything just works, the only thing that I'm really concerned about even trying to get working right now is my wireless card, but the Ubuntu wiki has excellent documentation on how to set it up and the Ubunutu forums are also a nice place to go and get help.

I really enjoyed taking this quiz, helped a lot when I first got into unix/linux. check it out:

http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

NOTE: Use in IE

It basically helps you choose which distro is best for you, by asking you certain questions. I recommend this for all beginners....what do the linux experts say?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cool link Murtu,

It said I should use Kubuntu or Mepis, I've tried them both and are pretty good but I actually prefer some Gnome apps over KDEs, I install KDE over Ubuntu...but they're pretty much on the mark for the questions they ask.

Edit: and why use IE?...worked fine in FF

Worked fine for me too

reccommended Ubuntu......... using it on one comp

have SuSe on another and iccaros linux on my dual boot system

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey robroy,

Suse is a distro I've never tried.

Just for the heck of it I went to the Suse site and read they're offering a free version now. I've read that Suse is famous for being easy to install, configure.

Is Suse something you would recommend to a newcomer to Linux? :D

I would recommend trying a live CD first, like Knoppix so you can see some of the software and get to play around with it a bit before you install your distro.

You can do many things with Knoppix, you can even install it to the HD if you REALLY wanted to(not the the most newbie friendly distro when installed to the HD)....

Since I'm a newb and I am getting on ok with it yeah

It was easy to install also found all my hardware without problems.

I installed on an old PII box with a 10 g hard drive, cd writer, cd rom, network card, sound card and agp graphics card (ati all in wonder 9200). It works great

I haven't found it harder to use than iccaros and it found my hardware better than ubuntu

Since I'm a newb and I am getting on ok with it yeah

It was easy to install also found all my hardware without problems.

I installed on an old PII box with a 10 g hard drive, cd writer, cd rom, network card, sound card and agp graphics card (ati all in wonder 9200). It works great

I haven't found it harder to use than iccaros and it found my hardware better than ubuntu

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the reply, robroy! :D You're no longer a n00b, you've installed and are running Linux! Thanks for the review, that'll help the new people to Linux in making an informed choice. :D

Worked fine for me too

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ya but I heard that the Guy who did Iccaros Linux is a a$$..

:wub:

Worked fine for me too

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ya but I heard that the Guy who did Iccaros Linux is a a$$..

:wub:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! You kill me, man! :D

For any of the newcomers here iccaros is our resident guru, a Linux professional!

The thing that i liked about iccaros linux when I fisrt started was that I could run it from cd, then when I had a little more confidence I installed it to hard drive from the same cd.

I don't think any of the other live linuxes have that option.

btw new definition for a$$..........helpful

Iccaros helped me when I first tried to get started

The thing that i liked about iccaros linux when I fisrt started was that I could run it from cd, then when I had a little more confidence I installed it to hard drive from the same cd.

I don't think any of the other live linuxes have that option.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Knoppix has that option (and I have used it)

I <3 my Knoppix 3.6 HD install....

wow guys thanx for the fast and very helpful replys im trying unbuto first becaus ethat seems like the most popular choice so far so ill try that and let you knwo how it goes!

thanks so much

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're very welcome! :D

WOW LINUX IS AWSOME!, lol i cant belive what ive been missing, i dropped in the live cd and have been using it for 2 days now, im gonna get a blank hd and install it, so questions, will unbuto install easy what will i need to do first?

would i be able to run msn messesnger on it? (thats a biggie) and i seen screenshots of linux with really cool desktops and such, how will i be able to do that in unbuto? i would post a link of what i saw but ill have to re read the rules first about link posting as im not so sure about it. other then that you guys have been a huge help,.... thanks!