woah, limited to 10 port ranges? damn that sucks.

As for p2p, i used shareaza and didnt have to setup any port forwarding on my computer all be it awfully crap connection for downloading. I changed programs i now use morpheus which seems to like my setup better. Id suggest you bring the router back and ask for a new one saying that it did not say anything about being limited to 10 port ranges.

Pierce

Any "home" purchased router kit should be fine, even the linksys that you purchased, but check the the limits of the device...usually posted on the box, before you purchase it. It won't show you the limits, but it will (should) list the features.

First off, hey everyone, I switched here from g4 forums.

Well my problem is, on the router is connected myself and my brother.  We both play a lot of computer games and use other p2p type programs.

The linksys router only allows the forwarding of 10 port ranges, thats pretty useless.  For instance once I have forwarded the ports to my computer for the games Im playing, all the requests for those games are comming to me.  What am I supposed to do for the other computer?  I only bought the router for the purpose of sharing the connection, not security.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you're not worried about security, just open the DMZ.

First off, hey everyone, I switched here from g4 forums.

Well my problem is, on the router is connected myself and my brother.  We both play a lot of computer games and use other p2p type programs.

The linksys router only allows the forwarding of 10 port ranges, thats pretty useless.  For instance once I have forwarded the ports to my computer for the games Im playing, all the requests for those games are comming to me.  What am I supposed to do for the other computer?  I only bought the router for the purpose of sharing the connection, not security.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you're not worried about security, just open the DMZ.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree. Or equally, just forward huge ranges of ports.

As for p2p, i used shareaza and didnt have to setup any port forwarding on my computer all be it awfully crap connection for downloading. I changed programs i now use morpheus which seems to like my setup better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shareaza works through some routers without any port forwarding, but works better with port forwarding. The same can be said for many such apps.