Installing Mac Os X Tiger On X86 Architecture

• 4 weeks later...
after all your taking an os that wast written for a memory based system and putting it on a process based system.

Ehhh... Pfft.. Nevermind.

the biggest reason of why apple has kept os x to them selves is to keep good control over the hardware/software interface and in doing this you throw that out the window.

You assume (just like the rest of the young Mac-loving world) that switching to x86 means that Apple can't still maintain tight control over their platform. x86 doesn't automatically mean IBM compatible (though it remains to be seen whether or not x86 Macs will in fact be IBM compatibles; right now it sort of looks that way. It's not that difficult for them to say that Mac OS X for x86 is only supported on x86 Macs, not any other PC (and they've already more or less said that). Sure hackers will have their fun, but they hardly expect service and support from Apple for what they're doing. Furthermore, if anybody starts selling or distributing beige boxes with OS X installed, I'm sure Apple will have no qualms filing suit to help control their quality standards (they've done it before, no reason to believe they wouldn't do it again).

-uberpenguin

the biggest reason of why apple has kept os x to them selves is to keep good control over the hardware/software interface and in doing this you throw that out the window.

You assume (just like the rest of the young Mac-loving world) that switching to x86 means that Apple can't still maintain tight control over their platform. x86 doesn't automatically mean IBM compatible (though it remains to be seen whether or not x86 Macs will in fact be IBM compatibles; right now it sort of looks that way. It's not that difficult for them to say that Mac OS X for x86 is only supported on x86 Macs, not any other PC (and they've already more or less said that). Sure hackers will have their fun, but they hardly expect service and support from Apple for what they're doing. Furthermore, if anybody starts selling or distributing beige boxes with OS X installed, I'm sure Apple will have no qualms filing suit to help control their quality standards (they've done it before, no reason to believe they wouldn't do it again).

first of all don't compare me with the young mac users. in computer years you've still got a ways to go to catch up to me bud.

i only have to say one thing. the old mac clone debacle of the 90s :rolleyes: they were such wonderful machines :rolleyes:

first of all don't compare me with the young mac users. in computer years you've still got a ways to go to catch up to me bud.

I don't use the term lightly, and the generalization usually holds true... Guess I'll take your word that I'm wrong this time. My general rule of thumb is "if you have ever seen an operational DEC PDP or written software in RPG II..." Well, I digress...

i only have to say one thing. the old mac clone debacle of the 90s :rolleyes: they were such wonderful machines :rolleyes:

Still pissed Apple off something awful, though. The point stands that changing to IA-32 by no means implies that Apple necessarily looses control of their target platform.

-uberpenguin

I don't use the term lightly, and the generalization usually holds true... Guess I'll take your word that I'm wrong this time. My general rule of thumb is "if you have ever seen an operational DEC PDP or written software in RPG II..." Well, I digress...

Still pissed Apple off something awful, though. The point stands that changing to IA-32 by no means implies that Apple necessarily looses control of their target platform.

-uberpenguin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just in case you can't tell, i meant the comment about the old clones sarcastically. tell me about it. i've always used both Macs and PCs and that was a ruff time for us. it was so hard to use those hunks of junks. i do think that it's possible for Apple to control things but i don't think that they are nearly ready. also i personally prefer the more direct control over hardware. which Apple has been slacking off on unfortunately.

btw don't forget that there are a couple of 15 year olds (super babies as i like to call them) out there that can run circles around us old computer geezers.

You assume (just like the rest of the young Mac-loving world) that switching to x86 means that Apple can't still  maintain tight control over their platform.

Don't lump us all together!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ditto. that's like saying all windowers are pimple faced gamers and linux and unix users are just lonely science teachers with too much time on their hands. and that's just not true of all of them.

ditto. that's like saying all windowers are pimple faced gamers

I won't even try to generalize Windows users... It's easier to generalize entire medium-sized COUNTRIES than it is Windows users.

and linux and unix users are just lonely science teachers with too much time on their hands.

Not true... All Linux users are high school kids trying their hardest to be leet haxxors, but who have yet to discover an actual sane modern *nix. All Unix (proper) users are obese, slightly musty smelling, bearded angry ex-Bell hackers who refuse to use any computer but their beloved PDP-8.

I just tell it like it is....

-uberpenguin