Gentoo Linux 2005.1

Release Announcement: Gentoo Linux 2005.1

August 10, 2005

The Gentoo Foundation is pleased to announce the much anticipated release of Gentoo Linux 2005.1 (Codename: El Nino). The ISO images for the release can be found by visiting the Get Gentoo! page. Users may also download files from an unofficial BitTorrent with full ISO images and stages. Much thanks to Friends of Gentoo e.V. for providing this tracker.

<Gentoo Homepage>

<Download>

This is also the first relesae with a new GUI installer (beta I think)

This is also the first relesae with a new GUI installer (beta I think)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

heh...and it shows.

I got curious yesterday so I tried throwing it on my test box and it froze right before the install.

It's not like they don't warn you that it's beta either though...and I quote...lol

"Welcome to the GTK+ frontend for Gentoo Linux. This is a TESTING release. If your system dies a horrible death, don't come crying to us. No, really, don't. We'll all just point and laugh and tell you that we told you so."

I read quite a few of the comments on /. by the gentoo elitists and they don't seem to think an installer is necessary and it takes away the knowledge gained from learning how to do it yourself...I'd have to agree in this case because I did actually learn a bit from installing Gentoo, (even just following the info from the manual)...but as far as the installer goes, the GUI seems polished and it seems to give the same options for configs and optimization as a manual install ....it looks like a time saver for someone that already knows what they're doing. (that is, if it actually installed on my system)

As for the livecd, runs about par with the rest of the live cds out these days.

I read quite a few of the comments on /. by the gentoo elitists and they don't seem to think an installer is necessary and it takes away the knowledge gained from learning how to do it yourself

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're just mad because there's no way to recompile the installer before you install. What's the point of using Gentoo if you can't set 47 flags to squeeze that last -11.8% out of the machine?

I read quite a few of the comments on /. by the gentoo elitists and they don't seem to think an installer is necessary and it takes away the knowledge gained from learning how to do it yourself

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're just mad because there's no way to recompile the installer before you install. What's the point of using Gentoo if you can't set 47 flags to squeeze that last -11.8% out of the machine?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

great ideal......... I bet if we found a way to compile the installer before install......... why dident I think of that... :D