How To Get Started.

Hey all, I want to be checkin out Linux in the near future; and I need some help...

I get what I'm supposed to do with the ISO; but when looking at ftp://ftp.webtrek.com/pub/mirrors/knoppix/

there is a corresponding file ending in md5. What I want to know is, what do I do with this file? How do I burn it to a CD? And, after burning everything to the CD, can I just pop it in and start using Knoppix? Thanks.

Yes, once you've burned the Knoppix CD just pop it into your cd tray and then power down your unit. If your computer is set to boot from your cd rom drive when you start-up your computer you'll boot into Linux from your Knoppix cd. You'll be running your computer from the cd, not your hard drive. Your windows install will be unaffected. Knoppix is great. When you're finished using Knoppix power down your computer, then re-start, as the computer starts to power-up just eject the cd and you'll boot into windows.

md5 is used to see if your iso file that you downloaded is okay and not corrupt.

do you have a "brand" computer.

Does the computer have a manufacture splash screen. If it does not during the black screen when testing mem and such you could get the BIOS info. This would be helpful to get the correct key to open the BIOS. Also you could research POST codes in the event you change hardware on the machine and it has problems.

M

I'll be outof town 'till tommorrow evening or friday. Don't want you to think I left you hanging.

M

Edited by mikex
Ya, im using a dell...  but the screen is so fast; I missed it.  Once I get the key figured out, I'll let you know  ;)

FWIW, when I'm working on the BIOS on my Thinkpad I turn on all the RAM checks and boot diagnostics to delay the boot process at POST. Makes it much easier to get back into the BIOS when you have a 5 or 10 second window while the machine counts its memory. Also makes it's easier to get discs in or out of the CD drive before the machine tries to boot. The normal delay is so short that the tray barely has time to open before it starts to boot.

... FWIW, when I'm working on the BIOS on my Thinkpad I turn on all the RAM checks and boot diagnostics to delay the boot process at POST. Makes it much easier to get back into the BIOS when you have a 5 or 10 second window while the machine counts its memory. Also makes it's easier to get discs in or out of the CD drive before the machine tries to boot. The normal delay is so short that the tray barely has time to open before it starts to boot.

How do you do this? When I boot up, I don't even see a boot screen, it happens so fast.

How do you do this? When I boot up, I don't even see a boot screen, it happens so fast.

Try pounding constantly on whatever key takes you to the BIOS from the moment you hit the power switch. Might take a few tries, but you should get in eventually.

(Assuming you can get into the BIOS on your machine. Nothing surprises me anymore.)

... FWIW, when I'm working on the BIOS on my Thinkpad I turn on all the RAM checks and boot diagnostics to delay the boot process at POST.  Makes it much easier to get back into the BIOS when you have a 5 or 10 second window while the machine counts its memory.  Also makes it's easier to get discs in or out of the CD drive before the machine tries to boot.  The normal delay is so short that the tray barely has time to open before it starts to boot.

My old 700 duron takes a while to wake and get going so I have a bit of time. :D

jcl

pounding constantly on whatever key takes you to the BIOS from the moment you hit the power switch.

is that in the the step in the manual just before "apply repeated blows with a large hammer."

M

pounding constantly on whatever key takes you to the BIOS from the moment you hit the power switch.

is that in the the step in the manual just before "apply repeated blows with a large hammer."

Actually that's not a bad idea. Forcing a boot error might take you into the BIOS utility, or at least delay the boot long enough to get in yourself. A hammer might be a bit much though.

Hey all, I got it and I'm poting using knoppix right now!  :D  its pretty cool!

Sweet! Welcome to Linux, man! The next step in your journey is to choose a distro to install on your hard drive.

When I first installed Linux a few years ago I did it on a piece of crap computer that I scrounged and not my main computer. That way if it messed up I wouldn't care. If you've got an older computer that's maybe a place to start.

Good starting distros in no particular order Fedora, Mandrake, Suse.

Try pounding constantly on whatever key takes you to the BIOS from the moment you hit the power switch. Might take a few tries, but you should get in eventually.

(Assuming you can get into the BIOS on your machine. Nothing surprises me anymore.)

Thanks!

wont i have any problems with hardware compatibility?thanks!

If you have fairly boring hardware you shouldn't have any problems. Bleeding-edge hardware and bargain hardware are what give you trouble, the former because it takes a while for support to appear in Linux and the latter because cheap hardware is often dysfunctional or terminally uninteresting and therefore hard to support (or more accurately, it's hard to find someone willing to support it).

A good way to check your hardware for compatibility is to just download something like Knoppix and see if it works. And if Knoppix doesn't work it's quite possible that it's just a quirk of Knoppix.

[Edit: Fixed various typos.]

wont i have any problems with hardware compatibility?thanks!

If you have fairly boring hardware you shouldn't have any problems. Bleed-edge hardware and bargain hardware are what give you trouble, the former because it takes a while for support to appear in the Linux and the latter because cheap hardware is often dysfunctional or terminally uninteresting and therefore hard to support (or more accurately, it's hard to find someone willing to support it).

A good way to check your hardware for compatibility is to just download something like Knoppix and see if it works. And if Knoppix doesn't work it's quite possible that it's just a quirk of Knoppix.

I agree with jcl, I've used Knoppix to test computers to see if they would potentially run Linux on the hard drive. Knoppix is a great way to see if your NIC, video card, CD ROM drive are Linux compliant.