My desktop machine hangs at xmasbus.sys, I googled and found bad hdd or bad cdrom. Has anyone had this?

I have a drive to replace with, 120 in a drawer. Never felt like going through the insall/update circus.

xmasbus.sys who would name a file xmasbus?

Mike

• 1 year later...

I am by no means a "techie" but I had the same problem... This is how I fixed it. After waiting all night with my computer off, I was able to get through to F8...

I finally was able to boot to the safe mode - dos command prompt. (I know very little about dos too)

I then went to c:\program files\alcohol\alcohol 120 and got through to the Alc program.

In the stupid Alc program I was able to get to my system settings which allowed me to get into the system restore area.

I then restored to a month earlier and then used add remove programs to remove the Alc program.

This was sooo frustrating and I hope this will help someone!

Will your XP Install CD let you boot to the Recovery Console?

The Recovery Console is similar to a Command Prompt.

That may let you repair the problem.

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console

Another handy tool to have around is a CD that boots into XP.

Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Joe joe joe; do not feed the trolls.

Ah well.

Xmasbus.sys and xmasscsi.sys are part of the virtual drive used by alcohol 120%

It is well know to have issues with such things as installing service packs and some other software; resulting in a non bootable system .

It is highly recommended that before attempting a major install, or update that you disable all virtual drives.

That said, there are two approaches that may work.

One is to disconnect all optical drives. It often happens that the virtual drive is actually conflicting with them. Then once you are in windows delete the virtual drive and then you can shut down and reconnect the power and data cables to your cdrom and dvd drives.

The other is to try a repair install. Often though the virtual drive will cause windows installer to view the hard drive as corrupted (Bad sectors) and choke. Thus leaving you with the option of wiping your drive, repartition and clean install.

Joe joe joe; do not feed the trolls.

Ah well.

Xmasbus.sys and xmasscsi.sys are part of the virtual drive used by alcohol 120%

It is well know to have issues with such things as installing service packs and some other software; resulting in a non bootable system .

It is highly recommended that before attempting a major install, or update that you disable all virtual drives.

That said, there are two approaches that may work.

One is to disconnect all optical drives. It often happens that the virtual drive is actually conflicting with them. Then once you are in windows delete the virtual drive and then you can shut down and reconnect the power and data cables to your cdrom and dvd drives.

The other is to try a repair install. Often though the virtual drive will cause windows installer to view the hard drive as corrupted (Bad sectors) and choke. Thus leaving you with the option of wiping your drive, repartition and clean install.

Sorry..... I didn't see the no feeding sign and I had some 10 year old fish I wanted to get rid of. :rolleyes: