Knoppix Boot Cd

I just downloaded and burned the Knoppix ISO. I booted PC. Why has it taken me this long to find this....IT"S COOL!

Question though...while I'm running from cd, how am I protected (adaware,spybot,firewall,and AV) do I have to reload these items or what. The icons do not appear on desktop. What security do I have, are they still running in background?

I'm really impressed!

I just downloaded and burned the Knoppix ISO. I booted PC. Why has it taken me this long to find this....IT"S COOL!

Question though...while I'm running from cd, how am I protected (adaware,spybot,firewall,and AV) do I have to reload these items or what. The icons do not appear on desktop. What security do I have, are they still running in background?

I'm really impressed!

Glad you like the Knoppix CD:-)

When Knoppix is running your hard drive with the windows install is not being read so you're safe from viruses, spam. Knoppix is read-only so viruses, etc won't be saved to your hard drive. You're running your computer from your CD ROM drive not your hard drive when you're using Knoppix.

yes it will be an experience. By the way, do you know what "wine" os?

I'm just learning this stuff too (so don't take my word for it), but I think wine is almost analagous to a windows emulator. I say almost because I know it isn't an emulator but I don't know how else to explain it. It is supposed to allow you to run windows softare.

Hopefully, someone who can explain it better will respond soon, but I wanted to give it a shot.

I think robshanahan explained it well. It's like a Windows emulator but isn't. It's supposed to allow you to run Windows designed software inside of Linux, but it runs so slowly it's not worth using.

Edited by Snaxe
It's like a Windows emulator but isn't.

Right. It provides a software environment that is (sort of) compatible with Windows. It doesn't actually emulate any hardware, it just recreates enough of Windows to run applications.

It's supposed to allow you to run Windows designed software inside of Linux, but it runs so slowly it's not worth using.

Actually, it's supposed to be quite fast. The major problem is that it's a beast to configure.