A Montague Mystic!

All my life I've heard about Joseph Sadony, a "Montaguer" who was an inventor, philosopher and mystic, and to this day supposably haunts the grounds where his lab is. I just figured this man was a "town oddball" that folks loved to weave legends of. My Grandmother knew him and used to tell fascinating stories of him being a brilliant psychic who claimed all humans have the ability to become "human radios". Guess he claimed 38,000 accurate predictions...Kids still go to his property to see his ghost (some swear the have, but who knows?? I never did!)

Well in today's paper, there are two front page articles, one about Mr. Sadony's fascinating life, and another concerning the auction of the contents of his Scientific Labratory that has been untouched since 1951 (thought of you, Macmarauder!!).

For kicks and giggles, I googled Joseph Sadony, and to my surprise, there are pages and pages on him!! This guy from lil ol Montague, Michigan was actually famous for the books he wrote.

Now when originally looking for links to the paper articles, the site wanted a zipcode and birthdate, no big deal....just a warning. Cookie jar didn't want any cookies, either.

biography

auction information

Liz

yeahhhh i'm compared to the creepy old mad in some small town in the middle of nowheres. is the auction over i could always use more equipment for cheap? :D after all i'm the official creep old guy here and it takes alot to keep up this reputation. sure a gangster has to kill a few people and fight the law to gain street credit. but i've got kids to walk faster past my house while staring at what looks like a cannon in the front yard and you should see their faces as the cannon turns and follows them as they walk by.

Macmaruader, the world needs more like you!!!! And if you were the creepy old guy, you wouldn't have so many kids at your yardsales :) I know it's a secret, but we know you're harmless. Shhhhhh......

By the way, Son and Girlfriend went to the Auction and were mad that the Lab was sold--they said it should have been kept as is and made into a museum. Only a small portion of the building was accessable, but they said it was "really cool"...But Mr. Sadony's granddaughter wanted a summerhouse on the plot, so.....

I asked if anything "spooky" happened and they both dropped their jaws. When they were leaving, they heard a crow cawing, looked up and "saw the biggest d*mn crow we've ever seen, swooping down, flying low and circling the place, cawing its head off!" After I told Son not to cuss, I told them they should have shouted, "Hi Mr. Sadony!!"

Liz

• 2 years later...
Macmaruader, the world needs more like you!!!! And if you were the creepy old guy, you wouldn't have so many kids at your yardsales :) I know it's a secret, but we know you're harmless. Shhhhhh......

By the way, Son and Girlfriend went to the Auction and were mad that the Lab was sold--they said it should have been kept as is and made into a museum. Only a small portion of the building was accessable, but they said it was "really cool"...But Mr. Sadony's granddaughter wanted a summerhouse on the plot, so.....

I asked if anything "spooky" happened and they both dropped their jaws. When they were leaving, they heard a crow cawing, looked up and "saw the biggest d*mn crow we've ever seen, swooping down, flying low and circling the place, cawing its head off!" After I told Son not to cuss, I told them they should have shouted, "Hi Mr. Sadony!!"

Liz

it is very dissapointing that you say that. The lab was not sold because his granddaughter wanted a summer house. the lab was sold because of how expensive it was to keep it up. how expensive the taxes were on a lakefront mansion. kind of hard to turn it into a museum when no one has the time or the funds to do so. without putting strangers into the house.

and as for the lab only being partly accessable. that was because there was very very very high amounts of asbestos found in the back and to keep it from being a health hazzard we blocked it off. as for the upstairs being blocked off. no one needed to be up there because nothing was for sale up there and it was an auction not an open house.

Hi Sadony!!! (how in the world did you find this???) Well, I'm not dissapointed because I am SO relieved to hear the real story!! Y'know the old saying, "not much happens in a small town but what you hear makes up for it". The explanation the kids heard (from someone on the premises) tore at our hearts since this place has so much history, and I'm very glad that it wasn't the case.

So I take it the Estate is still intact? I need to take a ride out there.

And welcome to BT's! You from Montague?

Liz

Hi Sadony!!! (how in the world did you find this???) Well, I'm not dissapointed because I am SO relieved to hear the real story!! Y'know the old saying, "not much happens in a small town but what you hear makes up for it". The explanation the kids heard (from someone on the premises) tore at our hearts since this place has so much history, and I'm very glad that it wasn't the case.

So I take it the Estate is still intact? I need to take a ride out there.

And welcome to BT's! You from Montague?

Liz

Yes it is still entact. I haven't been out their since right after the auction because it wasn't ours anymore. The people that bought it were going to remodle the inside for a summer house. or for there house, i can't remember which.

once in a while i like to google sadony or joseph sadony to see what new stuff there is and i haven't had a computer in a while so this was the first i've done it in a year or so. yes i'm from montague I'm a former sadony, married now. he was my great grandpa

And now from Whitehall I see! I was born near Chicago, moved to Whitehall when I was 10 (we vacationed up here and my folks fell in love with the area) and found a "antique-dreamhouse" across the river when I got married. Been a "Wildcat" for 27 years now.

Look out, BTs, another White Laker on board ;)

Oh, and I emailed this to the kids (they're not really kids, they're in their 20s) and Son will be thrilled to hear the place is still standing. He and Girlfriend are history buffs (which is why they went to the auction in the first place)

Liz

• 1 year later...

Hi, i noticed that Wikipedia does not have an entry for Mr. Sadony. I don't know him, but I heard about him a lot through my grandparents (Burseys) and uncle (Meredith Beyers). You can put up a page in Wikipedia, or send me info and i'll do it for ya.

Edited by skaterdude