Terminal Root Disability

Hi guys.

I have been using my beige G3 (running at 433 Mhz and OS 10.2.8) and using the o so wonderful Terminal and X-Darwin software. Being new to linux I am having to use a bit of intuition to get to grips with the commands and set up but all seems to have been going well. Up until now. Ordinarily there is not much that I cannot solve myself but this time I'm gonna call for tactical reinforcements...

When using a terminal, typing the 'sudo' command brings up:

(example)

bob% sudo root psswd

Failed Password Attempt

Failed Password Attempt

Failed Password Attempt

Failed Due To 3 Incorrect Password Attempts

As you can see this is a bit of a bugger as I cannot access the root through the terminal, rendering it useless for installing any binaries that I have to compile myself.

(call the geek police now)

You may like some other background info so here you go...

I have X-11 and x-Darwin, Fink and classic 9.2 installed.

My drive is partitioned into 2 segments; 1 for system, the other for files etc.

I have already tried resetting passwords with the OSX Jaguar cd.

Due to my own (often blind) tinkering, the terminal has to use the tcsh shell and comes up with a terminal error when using the user/bin/login script. It comes up with a module error. Obviously that doesn't work.

So the problem looks to be a problem with the user or login script. My knowledge doesnt allow me to try and reconfigure these files.

And finally, my system spec...

Mac Beige G3

Processor upgrade to run at 433 Mhz.

192 Mb RAM. 128 in the 1st slot 2x32mb in the others.

No cards in the PCI slots.

2nd Revision Rom.

OK guys, do your best. The only thing that I haven't tried is reinstalling everything. Where would the fun be in that?

what error message did you get when you tried using the cd to reset the password?

and of course there's always just typing in "sudo passwd root" which activates the hidden root user account but i'd rather get the cd working right first.

Edited by macmarauder