Hello folks - I asked this question kind of once before, but didn't get a response and figure I'll phrase it a bit differently.

I just downloaded Thunderbird 0.8 at work to give it a look over, but I can't really set it up with an email account since I'm at work and I really don't want any home email sent here. It seems like a good program, and I like that it's customizable just like Firefox through extensions. But, I'm wondering if anyone uses it as their email client.

I want to get away from using MS Outlook because of it's clunky and resource hogging nature. Is Thunderbird a viable option at this point in time? Outlook is a pretty reliable email client if nothing else, but I don't use the calendar feature on it and most other incorporated features would be overkill for me. I need a good all-pupose email client that will let me write mail, keep me relatively spam-free from the start without a third-party add on and come with the basic email tools (spell check, etc.). This seems to fit those criteria.

Or, perhaps someone else is dearly in love with their email client and wants to share? Thanks!

I just began using Tbird 4-5 days ago and I like this one so well I've made it my primary email client. If you're familiar with IE or OE you'll feel right at home with Tbird. I've tried others including the new Gmail and have used OE for over a year and I vote Tbird. It's got everything OE has and more but you need to try it and decide for yourself.

Cool - thanks for the responses Nerelda and pueo38. I hadn't heard from anyone last night when I was home and bored, so I decided just to jump in and give it a shot. It was my default email in about two hours. LOL... So far I like it pretty well. I've set up several accounts to it and am working on putting in filters to route the mail just where I want it. Other than my email notification going off a few times when I didn't have email (?), it worked flawlessly. And, it seems to run a little bit quicker than Outlook at least. Thanks! Hopefully it continues in that fashion!