I'm trying to get some files off of a floppy diskette that I believe is corrupted, or maybe the file it'self is somehow corrupted. Anyway, there were 3 files on this diskette. Two of them I was able to safely copy onto the hard drive, but I cannot do the same for the third. If I try to open it, or just copy/move it onto the HD or another disk, I get the following message:

"Cannon Copy (filename): Data Error (Cyclic redundancy check)"

I have tried the diskette in another PC with the same results. I've even tried running scandisk on it for errors and it comes up clean. Any ideas, crew? I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks

try copying that one file at a command prompt - use

copy a:\somefile.xxx c:\

where the xxx is the correct characters.

when it gets the read error, you will be given a prompt like:

(A)bort, ®etry, (I)gnore.

at that point, eject the diskette, then put it back in and do a R for retry.

the removal and replacement of the diskette *may* result in just enought mechanical shift to allow the drive to read the bad sector.

however, there may be several sectors in a group that are having a problem and you may need to do this a dozen to several dozen times.

if the files content are text - not a word processor or executable file - then choosing I for ignore will skip the bad sector and may allow for recovery of some of the text.

again, you may need to do Ignore many times - it skips one bad sector each time.

another trick - try holding the diskette vertically and gently tapping the edge on a table - this may dislodge any debris on the recording surface and allow it to be read - not highly likely, but worth a shot.

should you be able to copy the file - be sure you never use that particular diskette again.

lastly, diskettes are not reliable and should never be used to hold the only copy of a file. of course, emergency boot/repair diskettes are a different matter.

Hi Nerelda

A "Cyclic Redundancy Check" error means that the data being transferred has a corruption in it. This doesn't mean that all the data is bad since it is transferred in small blocks and it could be that only a small portion of the file is corrupt.

Data recovery software may be able to retrieve this file but I haven't used any on a floppy disc so I'm not sure which one to recommend for you. Try Googling for some and read up on what they can do for you.

I use GetDataBack and R Studio but not for floppies yet.

Dave

BitBanger, forgot to mention that I already tried to copy the file over using DOS, but after several tries, gave up. I'll try that little tapping trick though. Of course I planned on never using the diskette again once the data is recovered.

No Worries, this is NOT the only copy of the original file, but it IS the only copy with correction notes saved on it. (Not my fault, I tried to get the person to save a back-up on their HD first.) I'd rather not use diskettes, but that's what the office wanted.

Chappy, thanks for the information. I did try to google, but wasn't comfortable with what I was finding and knew I'd find more reliable information here.

CurlingSteve, forgot about the "/b" switch. Thanks! I'll try that one too!

Apparently the office also hase some sort of file recovery program that everyone forgot all about, so if none of these work, I'll try that. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again all.

everything tried never worked. Tried several different programs available for my use to recover the data, but nothing worked for me. The data was too corrupted to be recovered.

Mikex, just try all the suggestions in this thread to recover what you need. If there are scratches on your cd, go to wal-mart and get a cd-scratch kit. I don't trust that toothpaste tip for cd scratches as it can relaly mess up your CD drive if it got in it somehow.

everything tried never worked. Tried several different programs available for my use to recover the data, but nothing worked for me. The data was too corrupted to be recovered.

Mikex, just try all the suggestions in this thread to recover what you need. If there are scratches on your cd, go to wal-mart and get a cd-scratch kit. I don't trust that toothpaste tip for cd scratches as it can relaly mess up your CD drive if it got in it somehow.

After using toothpaste to remove scratches on a CD you need to clean it off with a damp cotten cloth to remove the residue.

• 1 month later...

I know this posting is pretty old but I am having the same problem with the cyclic redundancy check. I went to copy to my C drive through a cmd prompt, made the same noise and then gave me a "Data Error (cyclic redundancy check) 0 files copied.

My hard drive crashed last week and trying to get a lot of stuff back, which has not been easy even after spending $800 so far. Anyway, these disks are Quicken and I have my business out of my home so my life is Quicken. I backed up the files onto 3 disks, they were fine, now i'm getting the cyclic redundancy check error.

Can anyone help or am I in for a LONG WINTER with redoing everything? Thank goodness I have a regular check book for business and personal and have all my invoices printed out but we're are talking a years worth of stuff.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

thanks