Help With Printer

Hey all, I am trying to set up my canon 1860 printer for Ubuntu. I am following the directions here.

But, when I get to step 3, I get the message

bash: -i: command not found

lol I do realize I need to replace the Xes with my coresponding numbers, and ther was an error (an added space) in step 2, but I can't figure out what to do next.

Thanks,

Matt

from the output you gave it appears you missed part of the command. It seems as you just typed

-i bjfilterpixusXXXi_X.X-X.i386.deb

that is why it is telling you -i command not found. you should have typed

dpkg -i bjfilterpixusXXXi_X.X-X.i386.deb

it just must have been a typo on your part

Edited by shanenin

root@cpe-69-133-124-201:/home/matt # $dpkg -i bjfilterpixus860i-2.4-0.i386.deb
bash: -i: command not found

any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

edit: ok i tried it without the $, and now I get

dpkg: error processing bjfilterpixus860i-2.4-0.i386.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
bjfilterpixus860i-2.4-0.i386.deb

That seems like the deb file bjfilterpixus860i-2.4-0.i386.deb is not there. While in the same directory as the deb file , what does the command

ls

show

are you in the same directory as the deb file when you are using the dpkg command?

Further to shanenin's excellent advice you can try using a driver that is close to your printer driver. I'll explain.

I've got an Epson Stylus C86 printer, but, Ubuntu only has drivers up to the Epson C84 printer so just for the heck of it I tried the C84 driver and it worked just fine.

Try using the add printer wizard in System-------->Administration---------->Printing. Click add new printer. See if any of the Canon printers are close to your model, that is, maybe an older generation.

Ya never know, it might work. Good luck, man.

Edited by hitest
hi shanenin,

actually, I was typing $dpkg -i bjfilterpixusXXXi_X.X-X.i386.deb when I get the error.. but ill try again

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

don't type the '$'

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, thanks for the help, I went through the steps on the page, and it all seemd to work well, no erros. But when I come to the final step, I don't see what they ask

And you will now see your new driver in the list as PIXUS XXXi verX.X

but I dont see that anywhere. ts not in the little drivers drop down menu.. and where it asks if id like to install a driver, I don't know where it would be.

Thanks,

Matt